Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Super Comp using VV 3N38

CzechShooter

So I know that 9 major is where everyone has pretty much gone over the past few years; or so it seems.  I am now competing with a STI DVC O in 38 super comp.  I am looking to reload major using 3n38 powder, Xtreme 115 grain jacketed RN bullets, and Winchester SRP.  Would have preferred to use Montana Gold 115 hollow points, unfortunately they are out of stock like everything else in our great nation.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thank you. 

I run 3n38 in my 38sc load and I love it. I am running 124gr JHP and not 115gr.  I run 9.8 grain but then I have 3 popple holes. You would have to run about 1450fps to make major at 165. Check out the reloading section. I'm sure there is someone loading with the same cocktail. 

Have loaded and shot thousands of 115's in 38 Super cases using 3n37 Viht. Three popper holes and comp. Gun shoots very flat and a lot of gas for the comp and holes. Great accuracy. My gunsmith tells me they are just beating the heck out of my gun whenever he works on it though so I changed to 124's. Only notice a slight difference and that will probably go away with practice. Cannot help with 3n38 as I have never loaded it but used 9.9 of 3n37 (all caveats in place as this load may not work or even be safe in your gun) and oal of 1.255".

I hope you bought the heavy plate X-Tremes.  If you didn't you'll be shedding the copper plate at major and leading the comp.  You need the HPCB bullets to shoot major.  They have them in stock.

I'd probably start at 10 grains and work up with 115s in your gun. 

I use 115 precision deltas and it takes me 10.8 to make major using a shorty with 3 big popple holes. 

Also ZZT is right. You'll be pushing 115s past 1450 and that's asking alot of plated bullets. 

Hello everyone, 

Thanks for all of the advice pertaining to reloading 38 SuperComp.  I reloaded some 124 gr. Xtreme FMJ (RN) using vv3n38 at 9.6 grs.  My average speed today in 83 degree weather at 4300 ft elevation (Nevada) was 1464.4 fps, yielding 181.55 pf: COL 1.260, using WSR primers. Pretty darn accurate; was happy with the load out of my STI DVC O.   

Does anyone have information on reloading 115 gr RN using the same powder. I'm looking for bullet seating depth, utilizing the same powder (vv3n38), or Winchester AutoComp.   Any information would be helpful.  I know with the 115 gr bullet, I'll have to be at 1450 or better for major. PF.  Thank you.   

3 hours ago, CzechShooter said:

Hello everyone, 

Thanks for all of the advice pertaining to reloading 38 SuperComp.  I reloaded some 124 gr. Xtreme FMJ (RN) using vv3n38 at 9.6 grs.  My average speed today in 83 degree weather at 4300 ft elevation (Nevada) was 1464.4 fps, yielding 181.55 pf: COL 1.260, using WSR primers. Pretty darn accurate; was happy with the load out of my STI DVC O.   

Does anyone have information on reloading 115 gr RN using the same powder. I'm looking for bullet seating depth, utilizing the same powder (vv3n38), or Winchester AutoComp.   Any information would be helpful.  I know with the 115 gr bullet, I'll have to be at 1450 or better for major. PF.  Thank you.   

If 9.6 with a 124 was netting you 181 PF I'd probably just start st 9.8 and work up. All of my 115 grain loads are 1.240" OAL. It takes me considerably more to get my 115s to major because I run a shorty with 3 big popples in it. 

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2020 at 2:46 PM, ahodge said:

1.235 OAL

9.6-10.0, look for 1350ish fps and you're money.  I would just check chrono for fps and not grains of powder as it's very inconsistent in-between lots.  

124gr JPH, montana, everglade, or PD are all good

Everglades doesn’t list a .38 Super bullet. Are you just using their 9mm ones? Maybe a dumb question...

On 12/10/2020 at 4:46 PM, ahodge said:

1.235 OAL

9.6-10.0, look for 1350ish fps and you're money.  I would just check chrono for fps and not grains of powder as it's very inconsistent in-between lots.  

124gr JPH, montana, everglade, or PD are all good

3m38 is the most consistent power I have ever used.  That is over about 400 lbs.