Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sps Magazines - Are They Any Good?

wsimpso1

is it possible to also undo the vice gripping?

Not easily at all - and possibly not. However, if you go easy about it, it shouldn't be hard to get there correctly. You'd really have to do something stupid to permanently nuke one. Just be aware of popping/cracking noises (that's the welds doing weird things... like .40AET says)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the mag go in and out without the mag release in the gun? I had this problem with several mags until i removed a tiny bit of metal from the mag release. The part of the release opposite the part where it locks into the mag.

I'd never thought that the magwell would put enough preasure on the grip to make it squeeze the mag. It must be hitting on the front, huh?

here's pic where u can see where the marker gets erased

post-4529-1153009615.jpg

Is it hitting the magwell itself, then???

Nope...it's just that the magwell and pin tightens the grip.

Another method you can use to sand the inside of the grip ...

Pick up some sandpaper (I like 100 grit) with adhesive on the back. Cut the sandpaper to fit the outside of your mag. Doesn't matter how many sides. I just do the side that the marker shows is dragging. Insert mad/sandpaper into grip and remove a few times. That will generally get you where you need to be.

Doug Jones told me about this. I gotta give credit where it is due.

Ray

Infinity -

When did you get that mag again? I have a brand new SPS 40 mag and it sticks in the same spot. I can see a high spot when I hold it on a T-square in the same spot in your picture!! Mine is rubbing bad on the inside of my Para pistol. I have been trying to figure out what the heck I can do.

Edited by theknightoflight

Just to update u guys, i just came from my smith and boy was it a shocker what he did. it was so simple i just didn't have the guts to do it ;) he just filed the front and rear of the mag and it cured the sticking. he told me "u know that mag isn't supposed to be for STI or SV that's why the tube is bigger than an S_I" so now i can test it on a match this weekend...thanks for all the replies guy!! oh and btw, it's 19rds 40cal reloadable on an IPSC box friendly mag ;) thanks to skywalker!!!

Edited by infinity

19???? Thats not fair dude! :angry: How come my Para can only hold 18??? :blink::P

My factory Para 45 mags hold 18 reloadable with Bevens basepads and guts.

My factory 38/9mm Para mags hold 22 reloadable with factory Para spring and follower and a Dawson basepad.

I would think 20 reloadable in 40 cal would be easy with a Para. Sure seems to be a lot of hassle for one round.

But then my Open 9mm factory Para Mags hold 27 with the Ammoman basepad and didn't require any tuning, special springs, or shims to get it to run.

Craig

I would think 20 reloadable in 40 cal would be easy with a Para. Sure seems to be a lot of hassle for one round.

Craig,

Infinity and I are talking about IPSC box-compliant mags (126mm, instead of the 140mm USPSA-compliant ones you can use) ;).

Infinity, you're welcome!

Now if I only could manufacture and sell them at the same price of those brazilian wonders... Beven, Bob, anybody interested? :lol:

I just got my SPS mag (140 for USPSA) today and having been trying DP's simple recipe of the SPS tube and guts with a grams 6.5 base. The first thing I noticed is the same high spot that infinity and knight had/have on theirs; I pretty much solved that with the vise. My problem now is that I tend to squeeze the crap out of the grip when I reload which doesn't matter with my tuned Brazos mags but if I use too tight of a grip with the SPS it won't drop unless I relax my grip.

The main issue though is that with the stock base pad I get 19 (barely reloadable) and with the Grams I can only get 20 (barely to not reloadable). I did a small amount of clipping on the spring and now can get 20 that's easily reloadable. The mag seems to function well as a 20 rounder but I can get a tuned 20 rd STI mag from Brazos for what I've got in the SPS with Grams pad. Back to the drawing board on getting 21 in it; somehow this is going to be worth it..... <_<

Edit for spelling..

Edited by j2fast

Craig,

Infinity and I are talking about IPSC box-compliant mags (126mm, instead of the 140mm USPSA-compliant ones you can use) ;).

DUH! That clears my smoke filled mind. No wonder I was confused.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Thread bump re: 170mm 9/38 mags.

I did the same "measure and add" deal with a 170 mag in 9mm and.....drumroll.....

I got 30 in the mag and was able to lock it in the gun. I have not test fired it yet, as I do not have an Open gun, but really looks like 30+1 will be possible.

No tuning, no spring clipping, just measure and add.

I believe you need to hand over that there bigstick as you are not allowed to possess such items as they look way to much like a diamond ring. <_<

To save you future loss, I will be more than happy to take it off your hands and wring it out for the next few matches. Then I may even pay you for it, I sure am giving you alot of cash lately :P

Although I will give you full credit for the vast amount of research you did. :ph34r:

You can bring that there shotgun thingie also so I can copy it before you sell it. ;)

The 40 cal. 140mm SPS limited setup works like a charm and does hold an honest 21 reloadable. No tweaking required. Dirtypool ingenuity at work. Of course giving a pilot credit for making something work is quite painfull.

Edited by blkbrd

[The 40 cal. 140mm SPS limited setup works like a charm and does hold an honest 21 reloadable. No tweaking required. Dirtypool ingenuity at work. Of course giving a pilot credit for making something work is quite painfull.]

Coming from BlkBrd, that is some funny sh!t!!!

The 40 cal. 140mm SPS limited setup works like a charm and does hold an honest 21 reloadable. No tweaking required.

You guys are killing me.... :D I must be the only person who has recently picked up an SPS mag and can't get 21 rounds in it no matter what I do. <_< Out of the box with the Grams 6.5 pad I could only get a tight, tight 20. I've rubbed, I've squeezed, I've...nevermind :huh:

Anyway I ended up clipping a coil just to get it to hold 20 and be reloadable; I'm not even close to getting 21. My mag has the same measurements that DP listed on another page so I don't know what the #@$% the malfunction is with mine.

Edited by j2fast

• 3 weeks later...
I got 30 in the mag and was able to lock it in the gun. I have not test fired it yet, as I do not have an Open gun, but really looks like 30+1 will be possible.

Ok... I did the same thing. I only get 29 of SuperComp in mine. The tube showed up w/ some rough edges at the feed lips, and such, but those were easily cleaned up. Overall, probably about the same quality as an STI tube (in my experience). I adjusted the feed lips to hold the round a little bit higher. We'll see how it runs....

Definitely better than no big stick, that's for sure ;)

• 1 month later...