Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sps Magazines - Are They Any Good?

wsimpso1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luca,

were u able to get 19 on ur STI, SV mags?

thanks

Nope,

no chance (for me) with STI or SVI tubes.

I was able to get a reloadable 18-rounder, but with a 9-coils spring only, and that's unreliable, because when stripping the 1st of 18 rounds, if the spring is not pushing up strongly, you might experience a once in a while FTF.

Now, here's my 19-rounds reloadable IPSC box-compliant mags set-up.

Tube: SPS hi-cap .40"

(sorry no pics of this item, but you don't really need'em, since it's unmodified)

Spring: Wolff springs for STI/SVI, for use in .40"/.45" caliber mags, cut to 10 coils, with a slightly bent last coil shoe, as depicted below.

post-1869-1131981968_thumb.jpg

Follower: Infinity, for .40" caliber, cut as depicted below.

Infinity expanded capacity competition red follower

post-1869-1131982119_thumb.jpg post-1869-1131982268_thumb.jpg

Pad: italian made, aluminum base pad, with internal hollow cavity deepened about 0.5mm.

post-1869-1131982402_thumb.jpg

Note: the threaded slot in the pad is for a retaining screw.

post-1869-1131982711_thumb.jpg

No, I didn't have a chance to use Beven's kits.

Beven graciously offered to tune one of my mags, but I had to decline since here a mag is a major part of a firearm, and I cannot mail it or receive it by mail or any other means. :(

Edited by Skywalker

• 6 months later...
No, I didn't have a chance to use Beven's kits.

I use Beven's kits and will see how things are compatible once I get the mags here. I may have a good perspective, I can compar the 18 + 0 SV mags to the 18+1 SPS to the Brazilian 19+1 rounders.

I'll see how Beven's kits work in each and once I am done trying, I may just give up and send him the 140 to see if I can get a 21+1 rounder in time for the Nats.

dv to the c. I'm out. B)

in my experience, the sps mag hits the top of the slide when shooting prone thus jams appear. i use sv mags for my prone shooting.

try the sps mag first while pressing it on the ground shooting prone.

I'll see how Beven's kits work in each and once I am done trying, I may just give up and send him the 140 to see if I can get a 21+1 rounder in time for the Nats.

Keep in mind, his lead time is around 6-8 weeks right now!!!! :blink: Better get it in there pretty quick.... ;)

DP,

at Florida Open last february I used a mag I assembled from STI 140mm tube (bought From Brazos), Grams 4mm basepad, SVI follower cut as depicted in my previous thread and 11 coils Wolff spring.

It was 21+1, not reloadable, and even if looking at my placement you wouldn't tell, It worked with no jams throughout the whole match.

I was adviced that to fit the USPSA gauge, with a Grams 4mm basepad, the top lips had to be somewhat filed down, although... ;)

3 weeks ago. CM99-09 Long Range Standards.

It requires prone in string 3.

yeah yeah, everyone's a comedian. I shot that thing a year or so ago, and get maybe one prone string every 18 months.

As to Skywalkers 21 rounder...

I emailed SPS about "our" gauge and they advised me that the new mags they are shipping are 21+1 AND fit the gauge......I'll be sure to report if this is the case.

yeah yeah, everyone's a comedian. I shot that thing a year or so ago, and get maybe one prone string every 18 months.

I emailed SPS about "our" gauge and they advised me that the new mags they are shipping are 21+1 AND fit the gauge......I'll be sure to report if this is the case.

Have you ordered them yet. Remember, I'm in need of a "Big-stick" or two.

To be fair, that's true. It was the first prone stage I'd seen in a dog's age. :D

Now THAT would get my attention.

The Good: samples are here, and FAST!!! Roughly one week from time of order. WOW!!!! :huh: That is MONTHS faster than SV and they are on another continent. :rolleyes:

Anyway, The 18 round Standard legal mags do in fact hold 18, and they are shorter than an SV tube with a Dawson IPSC box pad. Without checking them in a box there's no way to be sure, but I am confident they will pass in that respect.

The tubes are about the same length as an SV of the same style, but do obviously hold a real, reloadable +1. I'm going to play around with shaving the J-LO (biggazz) basepads and insides of the magwells to see if I can get them to work.

The Bad: The Standard mags will not lock in the gun with any magwell I have (STI, EGW, Krebs and some prototype I picked up and REALLY like.)

The unexpected: The "140" mags only measure about 137mm, base plate and all, and DO NOT hold 21. They hold 20....BARELY <_< , but big whup. My Dawson / Gramms / SV tubes hold 20 without tuning and are more easily reloadable.

I will monkey around with basepads and cutting springs to try and get the 21 rounder I expected. But hey, they were half right, they did retool so they fit the USPSA "140" gauge. These things are visbly shorter than an SV tube with Dawson +1 pad. The SPS tube with a Dawson +1 on it still only holds 20 (albeit easily) and is shorter than the bare SV TUBE :blink: .

I will probably call Dawson or Gramms for a +2. With my Dawson +1 on there they still only hold 20, but it's a really easy, very reloadable 20 if onlyit would lock in the gun. :unsure:

no reliability testing as yet. More to report tomorrow.

Edited by dirtypool40

I am just curious about something. Why all this fuss and expense to get one more round? My SVI mags hold 19+1 reloadable, 20+1 not. My Glock mags hold 20+1. That's a total of 40 rounds or 41. I can think of only one instance in 6+ years of shooting IPSC where starting with 21 in the gun allowed me to shoot a stage without a reload. Am I missing something here?

I don't recall a time where I could not find a good reload point even on the high round count stages. Maybe there are stages over 36 rounds now. I have not shot IPSC very much in the last couple of years.

If I design a stage it is going to have a maximum 18 rounds or a minimum of 22.

Edited by Joe D

my 19 round ipsc mag failed 2x on 2 different cof in the last level 3 match! It cost me a lot 3 seconds each on 2 different long courses! dropped my standing at least 2 places :( Ill settle with the 18