Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sps Magazines - Are They Any Good?

wsimpso1

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once I've tested it more and had it in the gauge, I'll post my recipe. :)

In the mean time I am in contact with SPS. They are having trouble understanding our gauge, and what a 140 actually is. They asked if the shooters going to the LIM NATS wanted some IPSC STANDARD box mags.

They have shortened the tube so you don't have to create some sheet metal floor plate and polish things down to fit, but they may tweak things again.

The base pad they are using now adds 6 or 7mm to the overall length and NOTHING to CAPACITY.

If they come up with their own true 140 legal 21 rounder, they will have the better mousetrap. :blink:

They hold 21, they run, they fit the gauge. My work here is done. B)

I have heard they are changing the tube / basepad combo again, so maybe the next guy won't have so much work to do to arrive at 21. :rolleyes: Standby for the better mousetrap.

And just to complete the discussion regarding the SPS mags fitting Para/Armscor frames on page 1, the new SPS tubes apparently fit the new (rounded front strap) Para/Armscor frames without any mods to the mags or the mag catch. Of course, you'd still need to test it's reliability in your setup. ;)

And just to complete the discussion regarding the SPS mags fitting Para/Armscor frames on page 1, the new SPS tubes apparently fit the new (rounded front strap) Para/Armscor frames without any mods to the mags or the mag catch. Of course, you'd still need to test it's reliability in your setup. ;)

How new of Para frame are you meaning? Do you mean the 2nd gen rounded frontstrap frame that they came out with in about 1995 or has there been another change since then?

I have SPS mags in both 140mm and 170mm that I bought because of their ad saying they fit Para. Neither feed as the mag catch slot is too high on the tube causing the mag to hang too low. Therefore the slide goes right over the top round and cannot strip the round from the mag. I am checking these in my circa 1996 Para Open gun and my 1999 Para P18-9mm.

I have too many Para mags I use that work reliably for me to change the shape of the mag catch to hold the two SPS mags properly. So, eventually, I will have the current slots welded up in the SPS tubes and recut to fit the Para. Seems to be the best alternative for me. Now if was was starting fresh without a supply of factory Para mags, I would do the mag catch mod instead.

They hold 21, they run, they fit the gauge. My work here is done. B)

I have heard they are changing the tube / basepad combo again, so maybe the next guy won't have so much work to do to arrive at 21. :rolleyes: Standby for the better mousetrap.

What was the secret recipe you mentioned in your last post? I ordered two SPS .40 140mm mags today.

Sorry, that was the point of this thread in the first place.

Anyway.....IF, IF the tubes are the same length when you get them, measure THE TUBE, and see what you have to add to get you up to 141. My tubes measured 133 or 134, so I bought a Grams 6.5mm base pad and KABLAM!!! I was at 141, held 21, and fit the gauge.

It works for now, who knows once they tweak on the tube / basepad again. For me it took ZERO tweaking, the mag holds a tight 21, and has always functioned flawlessly.

Edited by dirtypool40

Sorry, that was the point of this thread in the first place.

Anyway.....IF, IF the tubes are the same length when you get them, measure THE TUBE, and see what you have to add to get you up to 141. My tubes measured 133 or 134, so I bought a Grams 6.5mm base pad and KABLAM!!! I was at 141, held 21, and fit the gauge.

It works for now, who knows once they tweak on the tube / basepad again. For me it took ZERO tweaking, the mag holds a tight 21, and has always functioned flawlessly.

Sounds easy enough. Are you using the SPS springs and followers?

How new of Para frame are you meaning? Do you mean the 2nd gen rounded frontstrap frame that they came out with in about 1995 or has there been another change since then?

I have SPS mags in both 140mm and 170mm that I bought because of their ad saying they fit Para. Neither feed as the mag catch slot is too high on the tube causing the mag to hang too low. Therefore the slide goes right over the top round and cannot strip the round from the mag. I am checking these in my circa 1996 Para Open gun and my 1999 Para P18-9mm.

Not totally sure on the Para datings except that they're working on the frame kits we have back here. But these guns were made relatively new, about a year or so.

DP,

hope u don't mind, but i need to ask this question since i bought an SPS mag (box friendly) for my STI but the problem is it sticks halfway and won't drop when the magwell is attached but if i remove the magwell it goes in and drops easily...has anyone tried using the SPS mags on STIs?? thanks

Guys here's some pics of the mag and my gun.

The problem for me is not the seating of the mag nor the base pad but the releasing and inserting of the mag. it just won't drop!!

My SPS Mag

MySPS.jpg

When the mag release is pressed the mag will only drop up to this length

Released.jpg

This is the Mag inserted..(So no problem with seating)

MagInside.jpg

Do you have a vice??? ;) You can "gently" squeeze the tube down a hair in that spot...

I put gently in quotes because it requires a surprising amount of force to actually change a dimension on the tubes... The SPS tubes being a little thinner, it might not take as much force as the SV and STI tubes, but....