Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any decent digital reloading scales for under 50 bucks?

ysrracer

Another vote for Frankford. It's small, it's cheap, it's cheap looking, cheap feeling and makes you feel like a cheap person. But it works just fine. I verified it against a beam scale and it's very accurate. Unless you're wanting to measure out to hundredths of a grain for some reason, it's perfectly fine.

Man I crap you not with this story. So one time many years ago, I was in the garage and thought to play around with my scales. I had the Hornady electric powder charger electronic thing, the small Hornady digital scale, Franklin scale and my buddy brought over a a fancy Dillon thing.

The only thing missing was a beam scale and it turns out we could've used it. Ok so I used one powder pan and tared each scale to it. I weighed a charge on the Hornady dispenser and it dispensed it. The programmed weight doesn't matter, you'll see.

So it dispensed and beeped that its ready. The charge was correct. I then move the pan to another scale and its off, I move it to another scale and its off both target weight and from the previous scales, I move the pan to another scale and its off again both from the target and the other scales. I put the pan back in the Hornady dispenser and its different.

So my buddy and I were standing there amazed at what we just saw. He tried it as well and the results were messed up too. One charge on four different scales weighed differently four times. AND no scale read the same as another. The Hornady wasn't even repeatable to itself! Wished I had a beam to be the control. So anyways, I guess my point is that there has to be faith in your gear no matter what. It seems as long as its consistent is what matters. The common accuracy of these budget scales is +/- 0.1gr. this gives you 0.2gr of variance that it will acount for aa being correct. Becareful because some of these budget scales are +/- 0.2gr. That means 0.4gr and that's not ok. Anyways this lesson taught me the small quirks mattered more than the function as they were all off. The Hornady dispenser ended up being the first to go cause it was slow and sucked at weighing. I still use the Frankford and still have the small Hornady scale. It lives tucked away on a shelf because everytime I use it I want to smash it into little pieces. The auto off drives me crazy! And no way to turn off the auto off!!

Anyways, Frankford ftw...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Thanks,

Is this the one you guys are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BDOHNA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GCqhFb9J0K2XG

That's the FA branded one.  There's a generic one that's similar.  Link here

Here's another cheap scale that I've had good luck with- Link

At this price level you're getting similar quality (IMO) so it's kind of a crap shoot.  Just make sure you're getting one that measures at least 2 decimals in grams, which will be ~0.2 grains.  Which means your measured value could be off by +/- 0.2 grains.  There are cheap scales that claim to measure in increments of 0.001 grams (~0.02 grains) however I'm skeptical if this third decimal is actually that useful/accurate.

Your scale will have some variation.

Your progressive press’s powder measure will have even more.

Accept that there will always be some variation, and plan for it accordingly: When setting up the press for a load, drop ten powder charges onto it and take an average to confirm your final charge weight.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, mvmojo said:

This is actually a real good scale. I bought one from Old Will Knot and it has been excellent.

I have this one as well and i compared it to the analytical scales in the lab of our company, it was right on.

I have mind sitting on a slab of granite (sample from kitchen countertop store) and top of a piece of thick foam (say anti fatigue floor mats).

I used to verify the readings on my cheap electronic scales with my beam scale.  After doing this a few hundred times, and seeing the values were pretty darn close, I packed up the beam scale and now use 2 cheap scales (at the same time) to verify my powder drops.  If both scales read within a couple hundredths of a grain of each other, I'm pretty confident the weight is accurate within a few tenths.  I don't need better accuracy than that for this sport and the loads I shoot.