Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics question

Ontarget

You can’t. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would disagree. Nowhere in the CO rules does it state you can only run one. The rules for CO states there are two types. I have personally seen shooters at sanctioned matches with both.

I would disagree. Nowhere in the CO rules does it state you can only run one. The rules for CO states there are two types. I have personally seen shooters at sanctioned matches with both.  

I stand corrected... maybe there were changes to the rules. I was thinking there was some type of either/or rule.

[mention]Frank705 [/mention] were any of the ones you’ve seen light/laser combos? Or does it have to be laser only?

Has to be Laser only. Unless you are an LEO or Military using duty gear you are not allowed to have a gun mounted light. Even LEO and Military with a mounted light still have to use a hand held light if a dark stage. There are exemptions for disabled shooters.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Sethdaniel05 said:

I could possibly see it as a frame weight... could be useful on hard leans or awkward positions.

I haven’t tried it or seen it in person.

If you are staring at a target long enough to see a laser mark on it, you're doing it wrong.

25 minutes ago, Sethdaniel05 said:

What do you mean? I see my dot on every target... how would a laser be different? Genuine question.

I get what @TrackCage is saying.  If you have not shot with a laser his quote might not make sense.  Trying to transition to targets with a laser for some reason to me is not faster than transitioning with a dot.  It could be training.  It could be other factors.  I am not sure.  It might be that your eyes and arms are not working in coordination to put the sight on the target (again maybe a training issue).  Maybe you could train, so your transitions are just as quick with a laser as with a dot or irons.  Play with a laser a bit and you will see. 

I get what [mention=61856]TrackCage[/mention] is saying.  If you have not shot with a laser his quote might not make sense.  Trying to transition to targets with a laser for some reason to me is not faster than transitioning with a dot.  It could be training.  It could be other factors.  I am not sure.  It might be that your eyes and arms are not working in coordination to put the sight on the target (again maybe a training issue).  Maybe you could train, so your transitions are just as quick with a laser as with a dot or irons.  Play with a laser a bit and you will see. 

Yeah I might play around with one. That’s why I’d like to see what people are using.

Admittedly I’m more interested in it as a frame weight.

56 minutes ago, Sethdaniel05 said:

What do you mean? I see my dot on every target... how would a laser be different? Genuine question.

Close targets, I might not even be looking through the window for a dot. It might be all index (I'm talking really close her).

Easy-ish targets, I'm not really seeing a dot, more of a streak of red. The only time I see a crisp, completely settled dot is far partials or similar. For context, I'm an M in CO.

If I were waiting for a laser beam to settle on a target, it would be significantly longer/slower than what I'm currently doing. 

Close targets, I might not even be looking through the window for a dot. It might be all index (I'm talking really close her).

Easy-ish targets, I'm not really seeing a dot, more of a streak of red. The only time I see a crisp, completely settled dot is far partials or similar. For context, I'm an M in CO.

If I were waiting for a laser beam to settle on a target, it would be significantly longer/slower than what I'm currently doing. 

Totally agree. (I’m a CO master as well) I guess I’m wondering how the feedback from a laser would be different than the dot. Could you not use it similarly? Why do you have to wait for the laser to settle?

• 1 month later...
On 9/2/2020 at 8:53 AM, waktasz said:

If lasers were useful USPSA Open guns would have them

Exactly.  I run a laser in PCC but literally the only thing it’s good for is if I can start with laser on steel. Even with a standard target it doesn’t really save you any time. 

Over the course of a year It might save me like a cumulative two seconds.

On a handgun a visible light laser is worthless.