Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S2 Optics Ready with Romeo 3 Max?

hitman_usmc

9 hours ago, eerw said:

It doesn’t fit. The front of the dot is just slightly too long

Looking at the Romeo3max the shroud and glass lens seem to be angled backwards ever so slightly...the part that would interfere would be the small lower body frontal area, which has a smaller flat frontal area and angles backwards on the sides at the front...EERW:  do you think it would be possible to shave a very thin layer off that flat lower frontal area so it would fit, without affecting the internals or anything else of the Romeo3max so it would fit and work properly on a Shadow 2 Optic Ready version with the RTS2 adapter plate ?    (PS....I have looked at a Romeo3XL with the baseplate off, it shares the exact footprint and frontal base shape as the Romeo3max, and it looks like there is plenty of meat on that flat frontal area to shave without hindering the integrity of the red dot)

Edited by race1911

eerw.....So, Stuart, had a chance to really analyze the frontal base shaving of the Romeo3max to fit ??..awaiting your expert conclusion................actual length difference compared to RTS2 is 0.120 inch  (2.127 " vs 2.007"), is there enough "wiggle room plus shaving" to allow full functionality without any milling to the gun ?

Edited by race1911

Seems to me that someone would need to make a Romeo 3 Max/XL-specific plate or something in order for me to realistically want to give it a go... I mean IMO, not having to permanently alter or marry a particular optic and gun is kinda the whole point of going with the OR model vs just getting an S2 cut/milled. Plus, I wouldn't want to shave/alter a $500+ optic that has a HIGH probability of having to go back at some point under warranty during it's life of ownership...

Freakin' Sig 🙄 they always have to do Sig-stuff and try and make everything proprietary like with their barrel threads on the MPX's... There's probably not even a good reason engineering-wise why the R3 Max/XL's have to have those extended/angled fronts on their bases other than just being different, but it makes them not truly compatible with RTS2 plates/mounts even though they share the footprint...

11 minutes ago, ck1 said:

Seems to me that someone would need to make a Romeo 3 Max/XL-specific plate or something in order for me to realistically want to give it a go... I mean IMO, not having to permanently alter or marry a particular optic and gun is kinda the whole point of going with the OR model vs just getting an S2 cut/milled. Plus, I wouldn't want to shave/alter a $500+ optic that has a HIGH probability of having to go back at some point under warranty during it's life of ownership...

Freakin' Sig 🙄 they always have to do Sig-stuff and try and make everything proprietary like with their barrel threads on the MPX's... There's probably not even a good reason engineering-wise why the R3 Max/XL's have to have those extended/angled fronts on their bases other than just being different, but it makes them not truly compatible with RTS2 plates/mounts even though they share the footprint...

You would need a plate that raised the optic up above the slide, because the optic is too big for the cut itself.

6 minutes ago, NickBlasta said:

You would need a plate that raised the optic up above the slide, because the optic is too big for the cut itself.

or located it back a bit... (Edit: Never mind, I see what you mean lol, found a pic on Google of a RTS2 + S2OR and doesn't look like there's enough room.)

Edited by ck1

R3Max and S2 OR cut

if you trimmed the dot body,  you would be into the front pin holes, but front of the slide cutout could  support the dot.

IMG_6916.jpg.ba2237fca38908ea0137976278048485.jpg

IMG_6919.jpg.cfaa3ca0388f1abed14a145c0de7f6f7.jpg

IMG_6921.jpg.b43afd5af2cf3c277b2f673a465dd246.jpg

Edited by eerw

On 6/16/2020 at 4:42 PM, hitman_usmc said:

Just wish there was something I could do about the current gun that is cut for a DPP.  

At the risk of being captain obvious, why not just drop a Leupold in there?

Edited by SGT_Schultz

my 2 DPP's both failed me, the SRO has too thick a hood, the glass is not as clear as a romeo3max, and has the problem of multiple dots when shooting early morn/late in day against the sun.....IF I can't do something to mount the romeo3max on a Shadow 2 OR I'll mount an RTS2 on it.........then I'll put my 2 Romeo3max's on my X-Calibur Match CO and Shadow 1 (dovetail)

Edited by race1911

• 1 month later...

...in the process of buying a backup S2opticready to try out the Romeo3Max, before mounting a new RTS2 on the milled factory optic ready cut I took the rear sight off the dovetail of the removeable optic ready cover and dovetail mounted a new Romeo3Max with an RTS2 plate (same hole pattern with just 1/8 inch extending over the front of the plate).....IF the RTS2 failed I could take it off and re-install the optic ready cover with the mounted Romeo3Max............NOW I'm buying a second S2opticready to just leave the dovetail mounted Romeo3Max on it as a backup (or if I prefer it over the RTS2 then have it for a backup)........I purchased two new RTS2 and two new Romeo3Max so I can easily switch to both S2opticready guns having the same optic or different to compare.............will update results in a months time after enough comparison shooting