Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first red dot failure.

Jsjac

My Romeo 1 Pro has lost its zero hold. 

I was shooting a plate rack at 20 yard and all was going as usual. 

Them I started to have more missed shots than I expected. I thought I was getting tired so I called it a day. 

Yesterday I was back at the range for some more practice and decided to check the zero on paper. At ten yards it was about two inches low. I adjusted it to POA and shot it again. Two shots on three shots low by two inches. Adjusted it again and the same thing happened. Until I was out of adjustment. 

I am glad that I have a couple of back up sights. They are DPP sights so the dot is not as bright ,but I will be able to continue with practice. 

I will be calling Sign on Monday to ship it back for warranty repair. 

Does anyone have experience with Sig Romeo 1 Pro replacement turn around time. I am scheduled for a match June 20 and would like to have it back in time for it. 

You should have a back up dot, for exactly this circumstance.  Having said that, you're in NH.  Maybe you could run over to Sig and see if they'll swap it out, or possibly fast track it for you.

Especially with a dot everyone should shoot a group at the beginning of a practice session and again at the end.  That will tell you if anything's broken and improve confidence the sights will be where you need them to be when you unbag at a match with no sight in range.

Btw, Sig electro-optics that handles the dots and repairs to them is in the PNW...

I have had 2 R1 pro's replaced by Sig but it was about 6 months ago and nobody had them in stock including Sig. Both of my R1pro's failed in the exact same manner you describe. It took them several months to replace them. In my experience Trijicon (2 SRO's repaired) and holosun(2 507c replaced) have the fastest turn around time on warranty work. I've heard vortex is even faster but I've never owned one so can't personally attest to this. I would definitely purchase a replacement immediately if I were in your shoes.

I have had 2 Vortex Venoms and 1 Vortex Viper fail in over ~50K rounds and 1 year.  Vortex was great, they sent me replacements in aprox. 1 week from receiving my broken one each time, no questions asked.  They were fast, professional, kept in touch, and sent me some goodies with the brand new boxed replacement sights.  I was impressed with their service.  Stuff happens, these sights are made to a price and they get slammed around a lot during firing.  I had a spare so it was no big deal as they all broke while practicing.  I carry a spare just in case but this year no fails so far although C-19 has slowed the # of rounds fired down a bit.

Sure, they should never break but if you use your stuff like most of us do, this is not unexpected.  For the price I paid for the sights I have no problem with them.  This year has been flawless so maybe it was a bad batch..who knows.

Bob

I do have an extra sight to use. But only one extra. 

I will buy a DDP to have as a backup now that I will be using the spare I had. 

I would get a second R1P but it looks like no one has them in stock. 

On 5/30/2020 at 1:43 PM, SGT_Schultz said:

Funny how the majority of these stories don't involve Trijicon products.

2 sro's shxt the bed.

Went to holosun, can have 4 for the price of 2. And they haven't stb yet.

So SGT they all got problems.

Use what you like, send them back when needed.

FWIW I've had the best fortune with side romeo 1's in 6 moa

Edited by jcc7x7

2 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

2 sro's shxt the bed.

Went to holosun, can have 4 for the price of 2. And they haven't stb yet.

So SGT they all got problems.

Use what you like, send them back when needed.

FWIW I've had the best fortune with side romeo 1's in 6 moa

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to assume that I said that Trijicons never break, when that's not what I said at all.

I talked to Sig customer service today. They sent me a lable to ship it back. 

Cameron said that they would replace it with a new one when they got the old one back. 

He said that they had them in stock. 

He sounded like he knew exactly what was wrong with the optic. 

• 3 weeks later...

I got notice that the replacement optic is on its way. 

That was a pretty good turn around time. 

I will not have it back in time for the match on Saturday, but that is okay. 

I bought a second backup R1P. So I can have one on my primary gun , backup gun and a spare. 

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a regular thing, having to send them in for repair. 

• 4 weeks later...

Sig Turned around my Sig Romeo 3 Max within 2 weeks.  No correspondence after my initial warranty claim.  The dot would not adjust to the right anymore and the POI was far left of the  POA.  I was surprised because it had less than 500 rounds on it.  Talking to the Sig Rep made it sound like some of the Max's have gone back.  They ended up sending me a completely new optic.  My SROs, have been awesome.  I had a small issue where one of the battery doors worked itself loose, but after tightening it up, I have about 15,000 rounds on that optic.  

I am not sure what peoples expectations of these dots "should" be.  This includes all of them.  The optic essentially is experiencing two car crashes with every cycle of the gun when it comes to slide mounted optics.  It is going to take all of the manufacturers some time to make these as bullet proof as they can possibly make them, and even then I think it will end up being somewhat of a consumable item on a gun when it comes to being mounted on slides.  If you are shooting carry optics for competition purposes  it should be in your budget to have a back gun, or at least a back up optic.

SGT_Schultz I agree with your assessment.  The SRO have been the most reliable slide optic I have used.  This have been my personal experience, and also from what I have heard from anyone using SROs.  The one thing I have heard with the SROs, is Trijicon seems to have changed the O-ring design from the first batch of SROs that went out, 1 of which I have.  Curious to how long the new Battery Doors (if the door is new at all, it may just have the new o-ring) will last.

On a side note, it would seem that all of the optic manufacturers seem to have great service in regards to the warranties on these dots.   As long as they have them in stock.  That is a win for all of us shooting carry optics.

Edited by Boomstick303