Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best PRS forum

RangerTrace

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, RangerTrace said:

I just purchased my first PRS style rifle and would like to enjoy a forum dedicated to that sort of shooting.  What's your favorite?

Thanks,

Trace

Never mind that, whatcha build?

Snipershide is usually the go-to. It's full of a bunch of a_-holes though, so just prepare for that. I wish there was another resource that was as focused because everyone I know would jump ship in a second.

Remember that there's probably not another class of shooters who are as anal retentive as the PRS guys. It's probably the most tedious discipline.

On 5/20/2020 at 5:33 PM, 38supPat said:

Never mind that, whatcha build?

Alamo Precision Rifles 20" 6.5 Creedmoor, MullerWorks barrel, Trigger Tech trigger, McMillan stock and trued Remington 700 left handed action with bottom metal of some kind that I can't remember.  It's kind of a PRS/Hunting hybrid.  Putting a Athlon Ares 4.5-27 on it.  Not a top shelf optic, but won't hold me back.

6 hours ago, b2948kevin said:

Remember that there's probably not another class of shooters who are as anal retentive as the PRS guys. It's probably the most tedious discipline.

The F-class guys I know would beg to differ.

All the skilled PRS guys I know have given up on SH. The only top level competitors that seem to be still active are the ones that have to rep sponsors.

4 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

The F-class guys I know would beg to differ.

All the skilled PRS guys I know have given up on SH. The only top level competitors that seem to be still active are the ones that have to rep sponsors.

The benchrest guys may even top the F-Class guys. 

10m air pistol is worse than BenchRest 😜

Sniper's Hide is 90% BS and none too subtle advertising for their friends.

Best thing is to go to a match or a class, hands on will impart 100x the knowledge 100x faster and save you money too. 

What I find about a lot of niche forums is that you get a lot of peer pressure to buy and even when you are trying not to, it worms its way in and all the sudden your practical $1000 scope becomes a $3000 scope because it really must be $2000 better. 

Frankly for technique and gunsmithing YouTube is the king, hope they don't censor guns.

Edited by Frankly

1 hour ago, nso123 said:

The benchrest guys may even top the F-Class guys. 

You're probably right. I like to think of that as a competitive handloading sport more so than a competitive shooting sport.

I have generally found the F Class guys to be more friendly, but I have only shot a couple of F Class matches, so who knows...

Basically, SnipersHide is full of a bunch of a_-holes. Nobody is disputing that, I think.

6 hours ago, b2948kevin said:

Basically, SnipersHide is full of a bunch of a_-holes. Nobody is disputing that, I think.

True story. It wouldn't be as bad if it was just the members that were so toxic, but the site owner is one of the worst of the a holes.

On 5/26/2020 at 4:54 AM, TonytheTiger said:

True story. It wouldn't be as bad if it was just the members that were so toxic, but the site owner is one of the worst of the a holes.

Exactly. You totally nailed it.

It flows down from the top.

6 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Are you the guy with the 223AI AR?

Yup.  A couple actually.  Lots of free velocity for zero work.

I also have a 223 AI bolt-gun built on a Terminus action.

11 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

I was close to buying a 223AI barrel after seeing you do it, then I got distracted and went 6mm Grendel instead. Might still do an Ackley someday.

I just used already chambered Keiger and White Oak barrels for my 223 Ackleys.

H4895 and 105 Hybrids are what you seek in the 6 Grendel.  I tried Varget and accuracy was awesome, but I had to be at max pressure to get that accuracy.

7 hours ago, Tom Freeman said:

H4895 and 105 Hybrids are what you seek in the 6 Grendel. 

I'll buy some next time I'm playing with loads. So far 8208 and 112gr Match Burners have been doing well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 5:20 PM, RangerTrace said:

I just purchased my first PRS style rifle and would like to enjoy a forum dedicated to that sort of shooting.  What's your favorite?

Thanks,

Trace

Come on out and shoot the monthly match at Triple C.  It is a friendly atmosphere without the uptight attitudes that I have seen elsewhere.  There are some good guys who show up and most are very willing to share info.   A wide variety of shooters from beginners to top shots can be found, and someone always has the latest and greatest type of gear that you get to see first hand.  I have been an infrequent attendee for the past year, but I am going to get back out there a little more often.

Kuan

2 hours ago, ShootfastRunfaster said:

Come on out and shoot the monthly match at Triple C.  It is a friendly atmosphere without the uptight attitudes that I have seen elsewhere.  There are some good guys who show up and most are very willing to share info.   A wide variety of shooters from beginners to top shots can be found, and someone always has the latest and greatest type of gear that you get to see first hand.  I have been an infrequent attendee for the past year, but I am going to get back out there a little more often.

Kuan

I've got some things to figure out and buy, before I put myself in the stress of a match...….

On 6/14/2020 at 8:26 PM, ShootfastRunfaster said:

Kuan

I have shot this match a few times.  My first PRS match a few months ago.

Totally agree with Kuan. Great environment, everyone was helpful and patient.

I shoot allot of 3 gun and other action shooting sports.  So I am pretty understanding of guns and competition.

Really recommend Triple C and this match.