Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don't birds get electrocuted when they sit on the lines?

(No, this is not a joke - there is no punch line. I just can't seem to find anyone in person that can get over the laughing to answer it for me!)

While sitting on one line they don't close the circuit. However if they touch another line (or ground) they'll get electrocuted.

Edited by tekno

Tekno has it right. A way to look at it is that while touching one line the electricity has no way to go through your body (or the birds body) but when you touch another line the electricity flows from one line to the other line and your body is what allows it to flow from one point to another - the path.

At some point, is the line has enough voltage, like a 250KV or 500KV line, does this still apply?

Yes, but to be precise it is the current that kills.

(The reason for some of the problems with executions with "your" electric chair way back, where the voltage was pumped up, but not the current...)

Edited by tekno

Here's a simple experiment on grounding that you too can do at home.

Step 1, take your average everyday electric cattle fence engergizer box and attach a big spool of wire to one of the terminals.

Step 2, run the wire all the way around your yard down near the bottom of your fence to keep your dog from digging out and attach the end to the other terminal to form a loop.

Step 3, plug in the engerizer box.

Step 4, wonder just how much of a jolt you're about to give your unsuspecting pooch and decide the humane thing to do is to touch the wire yourself first.

Step 5, when nothing happens, decide that the energizer box must be defective so instead of brushing the wire lightly just go ahead and grab it.

Step 6, wonder if maybe your rubber soled shoes are preventing the circuit from grounding and kick them off to see if maybe that's it.

Step 7, when your hear starts beating again decide that there's no way you're subjecting your dog to that and tear it all down.

Edited by John Heiter

John, that is some FUNNY stuff. I guess because I've done it.

And the rubber sole shoe thing - that is true. I kicked mine off and sure as shootin' BAM I was shocked.

I didn't tear mine down though - we lost 100 tomatoes this year because the dogs kept pulling them off the vine. I figured screw it - and enjoyed nice plump tomatoes the rest of the summer.

J

don't want to hijack this post, but i have another bird related one.

i grow nahanero peppers, and for those of you who know what they are, you'll know they are seriously hot. i love 'em and make tons of hot sauce with 'em. anyway, i've watched blue jays tear them apart and eat them like candy, and i have met no man that can do that without serious consequences. so, what's the deal with their tongue?

don't want to hijack this post, but i have another bird related one. 

i grow nahanero peppers, and for those of you who know what they are, you'll know they are seriously hot.  i love 'em and make tons of hot sauce with 'em.  anyway, i've watched blue jays tear them apart and eat them like candy, and i have met no man that can do that without serious consequences.  so, what's the deal with their tongue?

Birds don't taste the heat in foods. You can put cayene pepper in with your bird feed, and the squirrels (who can taste "hot") will stay out.

Mike

Bonedaddy,

My dad was just in your neck of the woods. I guess he must have been near your pad because he saw a few antelope out there meandering around eating peppers and sitting on electric fences.

My father, being a man of extreme integrity and low tolerance for stupidity decided that Darwin was right, the weakest must perish. So he shot one of the antelope.

Ok, the peppers and electic fence deal were fake, but he did just finish a hunt up there. Apparently he shot a pretty nice pronghorn. 1/2" away from a B/C record.

Mom is ecstatic, another animal on the wall :D

Logically I was just mad. Why would he go hunting without me?????

J

Well . . . I really would like a nice Pronghorn.

This year the focus is on a good Blacktail from Alaska and possibly a Mountain Goat. The chief (Dad) and I are headed up in November.

I just might take you up on swinging by though. I've never eaten a pronghorn before.

Caribou is, by far, my favorite critter to hunt and eat!!!!

Kat - sorry for the thread drift - I'll stop.

J

John,

That's hysterical!

I can relate, through step 6. It was my first electrical fence set up, under the supervision of my wily farmer boss/high school Physics teacher. When we got to #7, he said "why don't you just pee on it"? :lol: True story.

I didn't.

Some of the electric fences the farmers use round where I hunt are just plain hot. You get a bite even in rubber soled shoes. Although it is fun to take a townie shooting, hold the hot one and say the fence is off and watch him step over and get a belt below the belt. Or pull the wire aginst his leg with the front sight of barrel of the gun you are holding by the stock. :lol:

In response to the original question, doesn't the insulation on the wire help the birds as well? You don't get shocked if you touch your vacuum cleaner wire because of the insulation. Same principle?

Also, as a kid, I remember getting shocked many times by electric fences. I don't specifically remember shoes or no shoes though. Probably no shoes, since I rarely wore them..especially in the summer.

I lived in a semi-rural setting at one point in the past, and we had several head of cattle meandering in fenced areas around the two houses. I noticed little bits of smoke curling up from the electrified fence at one point late in the summer (when it was predictably very dry) and so trimmed the grass nearest the wires for safety's sake--at least the stuff closest to the house. Truly the fence was setting the grass on fire. However, I managed to touch the wires a time 'r two in getting this grass-trimming job done and, boy, it knocked my arm around just a bit. Dang! :blink:

I recently had the electrical service to my house changed from overhead to underground. When the guys came out to do the switch, they climb up the pole and just start cutting and running wires. I asked the guys , "aren't those lines hot?" the said "sure are." So I asked if they used any special tools or what and they said "No, just do't touch two lines at once." The fact they are up a wooden pole probably helps alot :D