Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sub $1000 build that I won't have to tinker with?

Including mags and everything. Is that possible? I know nothing about AR platforms and haven't shot PCC, but after a couple years off from shooting I'd like to come back and try something different. I'm thinking that I will stick to RFPO steel challenge and PCC. It seems like the FX-9 has good enough reviews and the price is right. From the limited amount I know, it seems like that might be a better choice than the Ruger due to more variety in aftermarket parts and having a buffer system?

I have an FX-9 and it is a decent, reliable entry level AR-9. 

There are two shortcomings with it: 

1) It does have a number of proprietary parts on it that are not compatible with standard AR parts - upper/lower receiver; barrel/barrel nut; mag release; bolt and charging handle.  You can swap in other triggers, safeties, buffer/spring combinations and of course whatever optics you want.

2) the charging handle tends to gouge where the release catches the upper receiver.

2 hours ago, phoenixsomd said:

I have an FX-9 and it is a decent, reliable entry level AR-9. 

There are two shortcomings with it: 

1) It does have a number of proprietary parts on it that are not compatible with standard AR parts - upper/lower receiver; barrel/barrel nut; mag release; bolt and charging handle.  You can swap in other triggers, safeties, buffer/spring combinations and of course whatever optics you want.

2) the charging handle tends to gouge where the release catches the upper receiver.

Has the proprietary stuff been an issue? What exactly do you feel like you are missing out on?

There are more than a few ways you can put together a solid performing PCC for $1000, though just as was already mentioned, avoid anything that has too many proprietary parts on it or you may find yourself stuck down the road... and sticking to one single manufacturer for lower/upper/barrel usually is the best recipe for reliability.

For someone new to PCC I always recommend the Foxtrot Mike stuff because their lower is as good as anybody's no matter what you can afford really, and for the money their stuff is quality (they actually license their design to a few higher-tier manufacturers like Wilson, PWS, etc).

I have a spare/loaner/backup AR9 PCC built from an FM lower/upper/barrel and it just flat out runs.

I pointed a buddy in their direction a couple weeks ago who didn't want to build one just yet and wanted a complete, and he got their "3 gun PCC" and a couple mags from Primary Arms and he's been digging it for under $1000. It comes good to go, even with quality furniture you won't have to swap out.

Edited by ck1
2 hours ago, ck1 said:

There are more than a few ways you can put together a solid performing PCC for $1000, though just as was already mentioned, avoid anything that has too many proprietary parts on it or you may find yourself stuck down the road... and sticking to one single manufacturer for lower/upper/barrel usually is the best recipe for reliability.

For someone new to PCC I always recommend the Foxtrot Mike stuff because their lower is as good as anybody's no matter what you can afford really, and for the money their stuff is quality (they actually license their design to a few higher-tier manufacturers like Wilson, PWS, etc).

I have a spare/loaner/backup AR9 PCC built from an FM lower/upper/barrel and it just flat out runs.

I pointed a buddy in their direction a couple weeks ago who didn't want to build one just yet and wanted a complete, and he got their "3 gun PCC" and a couple mags from Primary Arms and he's been digging it for under $1000. It comes good to go, even with quality furniture you won't have to swap out.

The FM9 is the other one I've been looking at most. The side charger seems like a big advantage.

1 minute ago, Wesquire said:

The FM9 is the other one I've been looking at most. The side charger seems like a big advantage.

Mine is the side-charge 16” upper with their stripped lower that I put together using their buffer tube kit (.308 carbine spring + 6.5oz buffer), and even with a decent lower parts kit, picking BCM furniture and adding a Hiperfire trigger, I still came in under $1000... I can totally recommend going that route. 
The side-charge is definitely pretty cool to have, but thankfully it runs, so I don’t have to use it too much 😉 

16 hours ago, Texaspaul said:

Second the comment on the FX-9 great gun, built mine around $700 on sale!

Another +1 for the FX9.  I've got one with 16" barrel and so far about (2500 rounds) no gouges from the CH.  Their CS answered an email inquiry very quickly with good info (Michelle).

I swapped triggers that I had on hand (a POF gave light strikes, RA140 working fine), factory trigger was terrible 9-10 lbs and creepy.

Cut to fit plastic spacer (Joe Bob's) to limit bolt travel and currently have a 7.5 oz buffer and AR10 carbine spring installed.  Not sure if I'm going to keep these, I kind of prefer the H2 and regular carbine spring with lighter bullets but it's very smooth with the heavy setup and 135 gr ammo.

Factory Korean SGM mag worthless but it runs fine with Glock 33's and Magpul 27's.

Cost out the door:

FX9 - $670, RA Trigger - $100, spacer - about $5 I think, Ergo grip - $20

I had the other parts lying around for some time so I'm not sure about costs, probably another $100 or so, well under your budget.

I haven't felt limited by their proprietary designs so far.

I'll find out if I like it on Steel Challenge as soon as we're running matches again locally but just shooting my steel out in the desert it's good.

RTL

I can say from experience that you should invest in a trigger made for PCC.

I've broken a Black rain trigger and an RA-140 after about 1500 rounds each. 

I have 2 Hiperfire PDI units inbound now to hopefully remedy the situation. 

Edited by Matt1911
16 hours ago, Texaspaul said:

+1 on triggers - have destroyed two triggers so far best luck with Timney, POF and Larue.  Just got a CMC 9mm to try.

When the RA 140 I'm using goes out I'm going to try this next.  Please let me know how it holds up. 

RTL

On 4/21/2020 at 6:41 PM, Wesquire said:

Has the proprietary stuff been an issue? What exactly do you feel like you are missing out on?

I had wanted to balance the weight distribution more - she's front heavy.  The only option was to purchase their pistol barrel and weld-on an extension to get to 16-inches.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a PSA complete lower with magpul grip/stock and complete upper for 520$. I already had 6 Glock 17 mags. 250$ for a cmore red dot. I use it in RFRO and it’s pretty decent. Not as nice shooting as JP, Leadstar, MPX, but it’s all stock and it runs 

The latest generation of PSA PCCs have been pretty good. The barrels have a PCC chamber that is pretty generous in terms of OAL if you reload, and they are plenty accurate. I have one with around 7000 troble free rounds through it. I suggest you replace the trigger with a CMC PCC trigger. This will keep you well under your budget. 

Have over 5000 trouble free rounds thru my FX-9 8" barrel. Put a CMC flat drop-in trigger. fist size groups at 50 yds and still hit steel at 100 off hand. Amazing pistol for 650.00.

Have a cyclops PA prism scope with a Vortex 3x mag. Prefer a red dot but astigmatism prevents. Did add a can. Still in jail.