Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pistol safe recommendations.

jeremy kemlo

• 2 weeks later...

Good video. At least in the comments section they responded and are aware of the flaw. They are actively developing a solution for it. Good on them to recognize and fix it fast.

Most of the small pistol 'safes' aren't very 'safe'.  Search youtube for your favorite model and you'll probably find several videos showing how to open it using everything from bubblegum to chainsaws.

Nolan

Important to know why you're buying a safe.  If it's to keep your gun secure in the house because you have small children or grand kids, then almost any of them will do the trick.  Ditto if you want one in the car with a cable to the seat to keep a smash and grab from taking your gun.  But, if it's to keep a thief from getting your gun during a break-in when you're not home, given a little time, it appears that most if not all of small ones can be opened by someone with a little knowledge and/or a few tools.

14 hours ago, mgkrs said:

I don't know if I could recommend the vaultek after seeing this:

I bought that lock box for my sister to keep the kids out of it, and to have her quick access in case she needs it. 

Thank goodness the kids are too young to figure that fork method out. That's scary easy. 

• 2 weeks later...

Very few pistol boxes are going to be really hard to pry.  Must are just access denial.   You need too much steel and concrete to really harden them.   They would end up being very heavy if they were tough enough to withstand a serious attempt.  

The Vaultek looks like it would be fairly easy to fix with the addition of a small piece of sheetmetal epoxied into place.  Drill an access hole for the reset button that is offset from the reset button so a simple L shaped wire from the side can't hit the button.