Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New RL1100 showed up! Primer slide question too.

Got it running and it is worth every penny! I like the 650 I have but this priming on the downstroke is awesome. I plan to add an auto drive of some sort and then maybe add a CP2000. 

It was all setup from Dillon, dies, swage and primer depth. I tweaked the seating depth a touch and took off the ratchet. Put the bullet feeder on, the die was very hard to install.  Fit fine on the 650 and the size die from the 650 threaded in just fine from the top and bottom. All good now. 

I only have one issue, I’ve had 3 out of 200 or so rounds end up not getting primed.  Messy and wasteful. The primers find there way down to the bench so I think a slight tweak will get it. 

Any advice on adjusting or polishing the primer slide?  I’ll check the upper knurled nut on the primer tube and I have a .45 case on the primer following rod.  I’ll look at the feed tip and the other suggestions from here about the 1050 priming system but I’m not sure they’re the same.

The important stuff. Ordered Feb 14, got it April 6 direct from Dillon. There is a number etched in the base, 0320 but I believe it’s a date not a serial number as a friend has one with 0320 as well. Both delivered this week.

Edited by Riley

Got mine today to. Nicer than my 1050. A lot of people take the ratchet off but I don’t mind it at all. I kinda like that if you stop mid stroke it locks the shell plate. I hate when something happens on my 650 mid stroke and the shell plate advances it screws everything up 😂 

It’s probably not officially recommended to remove the ratchet but the noise and feel bug me.  It’s been recommended a few places and if you have an issue, you can’t raise the toolhead to clear it. I had a primer end up sideways as something was out of adjustment. It prevented the toolhead from lowering all the way to be able to raise it back up and I couldn’t clear it. 

Why did you take off the ratchet? I've seen a few people do it so I'm wondering if it's an "in the know" mod.

Mine would lock up about a dozen out of 100 rounds every time I loaded. Even working with Dillon over the phone I was not able to get reliable results with it. My 650 never had this feature and I never make the mistake it is designed to prevent. I took it off and the press runs like a top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/10/2020 at 6:35 PM, Riley said:

...Put the bullet feeder on, the die was very hard to install.  Fit fine on the 650 and the size die from the 650 threaded in just fine from the top and bottom. All good now. 

I tried to install the bullet feeder on my new 1100 also and the die wouldn't screw in more than a turn or two before it got to the point where I couldn't get it to screw in any further.

I took it out and screwed in a different die.  It screwed in fine all the way down.

I tried the DAA die in my old single stage press...same thing.  It wouldn't screw in.

I don't know if they had a run of dies with threads out of spec or what.  I emailed DAA to try to get another die.

I feel like this press doesn't want me to load ammo on it.  I get it, it's missing parts.  I find out I need a riser, still waiting on Inline Fabrication to ship it.  Then I try to assemble everything so it's ready to rock when I get the riser and the bullet feeder die won't screw in. 🤬

On 4/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, LeviSS said:

I tried to install the bullet feeder on my new 1100 also and the die wouldn't screw in more than a turn or two before it got to the point where I couldn't get it to screw in any further.

I took it out and screwed in a different die.  It screwed in fine all the way down.

I tried the DAA die in my old single stage press...same thing.  It wouldn't screw in.

I don't know if they had a run of dies with threads out of spec or what.  I emailed DAA to try to get another die.

I feel like this press doesn't want me to load ammo on it.  I get it, it's missing parts.  I find out I need a riser, still waiting on Inline Fabrication to ship it.  Then I try to assemble everything so it's ready to rock when I get the riser and the bullet feeder die won't screw in. 🤬

i had a similar issue.

Problem is small metal shavings/debris in the threads of the new RL1100 tool head. Not easy to clean since threads are cut with tighter tolerance and they have some thick lubricant/preservation oil on them too. Clean it off real good if you can with brush and alcohol. then also try to screw in the die from the bottom of the tool head and you will see exactly where it stops. That is where you will need to clean little more. Then put some light oil on it and work it slowly thread in and out without much force. It will go in. No need for another DAA Die. If all fails you might need to knock down the "sharp" edge on the threads on DAA Die (its aluminum) 

On 4/12/2020 at 9:38 AM, LeviSS said:

I have had the same issue with every DAA drop feeder I install into a new tool head for my 1050s.   I have 5 different feeders and everyone required powering them on with some channel locks grabbing the knurling at the top of the Aluminum feeder.   Jacks up the anodizing some but once threaded on, they adjust up and down just fine.  

20 hours ago, helocat said:

I have had the same issue with every DAA drop feeder I install into a new tool head for my 1050s.   I have 5 different feeders and everyone required powering them on with some channel locks grabbing the knurling at the top of the Aluminum feeder.   Jacks up the anodizing some but once threaded on, they adjust up and down just fine.  

Tried that...still wouldn't go in my single stage press and I've had it forever with no problem with a die ever.  Now it looks chewed up around the top.

13 minutes ago, Patrickxx said:

You could always use a die and clean up the threads.  

I was going to recommend the same thing.........but after some research it appears attacking the bad threads with a needle file is the preferred method......

🤔

1 minute ago, HOGRIDER said:

I was going to recommend the same thing.........but after some research it appears attacking the bad threads with a needle file is the preferred method......

🤔

Might lower the chances of totally ruining it or cutting new crooked threads. Either one of those things should clean it up. If you are careful. 

22 hours ago, helocat said:

Too much anodize build up on the threads of some DAA bullet dropper dies.  Once they get put through the tool head threads the anodize is compressed enough they thread in easily.  The lock nut threads are too loose and the nuts are too thin to knock the edges off the anodize.  If you have any split ring screw lock nuts, you can thread a couple of regular lock nuts on and jam them together.  Hold the jam nuts with a wrench and then thread on the split ring nut.  Tighten the split ring nut until it's tight on the threads and use it to knock the edges off the anodize.

1 hour ago, Riley said:

I tweaked the lead thread with a file and put some oil on it and ran it in. Works well now. 

Primer slide is working better, the knurled nut was to tight on top of the tube. 

Yes have to watch this. I actually started backing it off about 1/4 turn about 20,000 rds ago and haven’t had any primer issues at all. 

On 4/11/2020 at 4:15 PM, L3324temp said:

Mine would lock up about a dozen out of 100 rounds every time I loaded. Even working with Dillon over the phone I was not able to get reliable results with it. My 650 never had this feature and I never make the mistake it is designed to prevent. I took it off and the press runs like a top.

So do you just take the ratchet off the toolhead?

• 3 weeks later...