Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for 2011 builders

AverageJoeShooting

Definitely not STI.  I like Phoenix Trinity frames.  And Caspian is usually good for slides, but not always.  There's a thread somewhere with a pretty comprehensive list of slide and frame manufacturers.  So maybe do a search for that.  For barrels, I like Nowlin for ECM and Bar-Sto for broach cut.  Been using both for 20+ years with zero issues.  Kart is also good.  Most of the other stuff is EGW, except for SV extra wide thumb safeties and Dawson mag catch and magwell.

Edited by ltdmstr

45 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

Yeah, your word is not golden like I used to think.  I've got 4 STI pistols running like a charm and two Cheely pistols with Korean slides.  Atlas is running the same Korean slides.  All of these pistols are running nicely.  

Not sure what that means, but I'm glad you like your STI stuff and it's working out for you.  Part of the problem with them is their quality seems to go up and down in cycles.  People start saying the stuff has improved, then we get a bunch that have serious issues and encounter poor customer service on repairs or replacements.  Personally, I saw enough junk parts and bad business practices that I decided to stop doing  business with them a long time ago.  That's just my decision based on personal experience.  Regarding the OP's question on parts for his build, I'm not sure STI even sells slides and frames any more.  And even if they do, there are plenty of other sources.  Of those, most are better quality at lower price, and offer more options for the competition shooter.  If OP wants to use STI parts for his build, that's great.  I hope it works out for him.  

11 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

also for tri topping or 5 topping the slide, thats up to the gunsmith correct>? 

you couldnt buy like a pre tri topped  blank slide?

You can definitely buy a pre tri-topped blank slide. JEM, Fusion I think,  and a couple others I don't remeber off the top of my head. You can even buy slides with basic cuts already done from Atlas, Brazos, JEM, just to name a few. 

19 minutes ago, Midwest3Gunner said:

You can definitely buy a pre tri-topped blank slide. JEM, Fusion I think,  and a couple others I don't remeber off the top of my head. You can even buy slides with basic cuts already done from Atlas, Brazos, JEM, just to name a few. 

thanks!

I think ill just get a blank atlas slide, part of the reason im doing a custom is for some of the gunsmiths  personal touches. 

JEM Guns and Warwick Tactical both sell high quality Tri-topped slides.  STI and Caspian slides are hit or miss.  I just fit the last Caspian slide I will ever use.  I bought it during the shortage, because that was all I could get.  It was out of spec and the front diameter was .704", so a .700" bull barrel was a sloppy fit.  I bought it from a distributor, so I could not return it.  I've bought directly from Caspian on other occasions and had to return two slides for deficiencies.

I would not do as you suggest.  I'd buy an already lightened slide from JEM, Warwick or Brazos Custom.

Edited by zzt

6 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

also does it matter if the extractor is series 70 or 80?

No difference in the extractor.

Series 80 has a firing pin safety, i don't know of anyone that builds a 2011 with a firing pin safety.

9 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

also for tri topping or 5 topping the slide, thats up to the gunsmith correct>? 

you couldnt buy like a pre tri topped  blank slide?

Infinity slides offer 3 (triptop) and 5 sided top as options.  You can also have it with or without the bushing cut.  From Officer's to 6" slides they are available in carbon and stainless steel. 

https://infinity.americommerce.com/slides.aspx

Hope this helps.