Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production - is heavier really better?

Leozinho

I'm thinking of picking up a Canik TP9SFX since they are so cheap and look like fun, and then going down the modification road.  Mods might include tungsten guide rod, tungsten in backstrap, brass mag basepads, etc.

Is is really established that they heavier weight is a positive?  The effects on recoil are real and there's the 'satisfaction' of fast splits, but another axiom is splits don't matter as much as transitions, etc. 

When is it too heavy?

(Mods, wasn't exactly sure where to post this.  Move as appropriate.)

There’s some guy out there named Nils who does rather well with a factory weight Canik. ;) 

People made GM regularly with plastic guns and won big matches with them long before metal guns came into fashion. And if you look... they still do.

Shoot what makes you happy. Metal. Plastic. All good.

1 hour ago, Leozinho said:

I'm thinking of picking up a Canik TP9SFX since they are so cheap and look like fun, and then going down the modification road.  Mods might include tungsten guide rod, tungsten in backstrap, brass mag basepads, etc.

Is is really established that they heavier weight is a positive?  The effects on recoil are real and there's the 'satisfaction' of fast splits, but another axiom is splits don't matter as much as transitions, etc. 

When is it too heavy?

(Mods, wasn't exactly sure where to post this.  Move as appropriate.)

I have everything you’re talking about here except the tungsten guide rod. I just use a steel one. 

I can’t feel much, if any difference, with the brass basepads and back strap. I don’t seem to be recoil sensitive when it comes to adding a heavier part in the gun. Maybe others can feel it?  I don’t seem to notice.  

if you want them, fine. They will not make you better. they will not increase your scores.

Spending  the time and money on practice and ammo will payout more. 

These parts aren’t a problem but I don’t want to spend the money to buy more for my other guns. So, I will probably sell mine. 

I would also say that I seem to like lighter guns. I don’t buy that heavier is better!  Just me. A lot of newer shooters go that route to mask poor technique. Also, being able to split at .14 on a 7 yrd target vs .17 is not where matches are won.  

Edited by B_RAD

Speed vs. recoil.

Bet it depends on how hard you grip the gun.

A VERY hard grip would probably favor a lighter gun, and

MY kind of grip favors heavy gun and heavy bullets.

But, a local GM (super GM, actually) just stuck steel grips

on his 2011 and LOVES them - and he's Very Fast.

Just my opinion, BTW.

Injuries limit my grip strength.  On a good day I can just compress a hand grip set to 75 lbs.  I can shoot my steel 9mms much, much faster than I can my plastic one.  I haven't noticed any difference in transition speed, but splits are considerably faster with the steel pistol.

Rule changes don't really make sense, I like to Desert Eagle but I ain't going to carry three and a half pounds of guns on me all day Everywhere I Go. The same thing goes now with carry Optics. If I was to put an optic on a gun to be a straight Glock 19 light easy to carry all day. Besides Grandmaster/ master is going to out shoot you with any gun he picks up. Of course this is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

20 hours ago, B_RAD said:

I don’t seem to be recoil sensitive when it comes to adding a heavier part in the gun. Maybe others can feel it?  I don’t seem to notice.  

if you want them, fine. They will not make you better. they will not increase your scores.

Spending  the time and money on practice and ammo will payout more. 

Edited by usmc1974

It really doesn't matter its more personal preference I think. I don't like a super heavy gun myself somewhere in the 40-45oz range is pretty much the best feel for me. I have an open 2011 and its got a steel grip and without a mag is almost 60oz and I really don't like all that weight I wish it was closer to 50oz, I might switch to a plastic grip just because of the weight. All in all its not the weight thats gonna make a person a better shooter its the skill and practice put into it thats gonna make the difference. 

29 minutes ago, sean_stw said:

All in all its not the weight thats gonna make a person a better shooter its the skill and practice put into it thats gonna make the difference. 

This has always been my philosophy, buy the weapon you like and shoot the piss out of it. This is the only way to get good and win matches if that's what you want to do.