Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV N320 or N340 for 180gn coated bullet

Fasthenk65

Just looking at Vihtavuori load data. No real experience.

With N320, you will be using less powder but at pressures that approach "maximum".

With N340, youll have almost a grain more powder at lower pressure.

Speculating: The smaller amount of gasses from N320 should give less recoil, overall, but possibly a little faster feeling recoil. With N340, you'll have more flash and blast, possibly even unburnt powder, because there's more of it and it burns more slowly.

I think you’ll find the N320 more pleasant to shoot in 40 major. For me the gun recoiled less and my sights returned faster. In my experience I liked the n340 better for minor loads. As Mikey scuba referenced I too have gone to N310 for Major loads also. 

2 hours ago, Jmo2011 said:

I think you’ll find the N320 more pleasant to shoot in 40 major. For me the gun recoiled less and my sights returned faster. In my experience I liked the n340 better for minor loads. As Mikey scuba referenced I too have gone to N310 for Major loads also. 

What’s the N310 recipe you're running? 

2 hours ago, CZGeoege said:

What’s the N310 recipe you're running? 

180gr .40S&W at 1.20" OAL through SVI barrels:

• Coated (Ibejiheads/Acme/Blue Bullets)
    • 4.2gr N310
    • 4.7gr N320
  • MG JHP
    • 5.2gr N320 -- 5" barrel
    • 5.1gr N320 -- 5.4" barrel
    • 4.8gr N310 -- 5" barrel
  • Zero JHP
    • 5.1gr N320

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Rule of thumb for limited guns is fast powder/heavy bullet for less felt recoil.  N340 works fine, but most prefer N320.

And N310 is even better. 🙂  In my testing in my pistols, N310 was also more consistent over the chrono.

Since the OP hasn't mentioned what gun or what OAL they are going to run... We're talking major power factor and loading way longer than SAAMI specs: 1.85-1.20" OALs.

I considered N310 but many say you'll be in trouble sooner or later due to high pressures??? If it's really better / softer I need to try?

It’s fine if you know how to reload consistently and safely. Long OAL, proper “neck” tension, low variance in powder drop, etc. But I think that’s always important with reloading.

I considered N310 but many say you'll be in trouble sooner or later due to high pressures??? If it's really better / softer I need to try?

Since you keep asking about softer feel... if that’s what you are really looking for then you should consider trying 200gr .40S&W bullets instead. You’ll get more of that push feel rather than snap.

3 hours ago, Fasthenk65 said:

It's never been my case with over 10k rounds shot through my limited pistols 

38 minutes ago, MikeyScuba said:

I’m at 4.3 of N310 with 190 ibej coated.

what I’m more careful with is the last few rounds left in a mag after a stage.  I’ll take them out and make sure those rounds are now at the top of the mag. 

why?

16 minutes ago, candiru said:

Then you haven’t got your sizing correct. And if that’s the case then all your reloaded ammo is unsafe.

Like he said.  If that's what's happening, it's only a matter of time before you have a bad event.  The ID of your case should be at least a couple thousandths of an inch smaller than the bullet OD to prevent bullet setback.  And btw, adding more crimp will not fix the problem.  You need to size the case down properly for an interference fit.  Regarding fast burning powder and felt recoil, you can verify for yourself using math.  On the SAAMI web site, they have a formula for calculating felt recoil.  For a given firearm, bullet weight, etc., the only variable that reduces the felt recoil number is the burn rate of the powder.  So what many people have been saying for a LONG time is actually backed up by science.  

39 minutes ago, candiru said:

Then you haven’t got your sizing correct. And if that’s the case then all your reloaded ammo is unsafe.

I’m not saying I have this problem, I’m just taking precautions in the .0001% chance there might be one.