Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

VV N320 or N340 for 180gn coated bullet

Fasthenk65

On 3/13/2020 at 4:49 PM, Fasthenk65 said:

sitting on pile ups of N320 and N340 so just looking for advise on these.

you have both powders so why not do a load with both and compare how you perceive the recoil impulse.

I have two glocks a 35 and a 24. in the 24 I prefer a load using Bulls Eye a faster powder than N320 in the 35

I prefer a load with WSF a powder very close to N340.    Only you can make the decision .     Recoil can be very subjective. 

F, forget N310.  It is horribly temperature sensitive, and too fast for your wants.  N340 makes a beautiful Limited major load under a 180, and SDs are in the single digits.  It is super clean and I never noticed any significant temperature sensitivity.  It shoots softer than N320 or any other powder in that burn range, but the muzzle lifts more.  N320, etc. will hit your hand with a sharper jolt, but the sights return more quickly.

Use them both up, then try e3.  3.7gr under a 180 will give you 172PF with no pressure spikes or worries.  It consistently returns single digit SDs at the chrono.  It meters well, is super clean and has absolutely no temperature sensitivity.

On 3/15/2020 at 7:57 PM, zzt said:

F, forget N310.  It is horribly temperature sensitive, and too fast for your wants.  N340 makes a beautiful Limited major load under a 180, and SDs are in the single digits.  It is super clean and I never noticed any significant temperature sensitivity.  It shoots softer than N320 or any other powder in that burn range, but the muzzle lifts more.  N320, etc. will hit your hand with a sharper jolt, but the sights return more quickly.

Use them both up, then try e3.  3.7gr under a 180 will give you 172PF with no pressure spikes or worries.  It consistently returns single digit SDs at the chrono.  It meters well, is super clean and has absolutely no temperature sensitivity.

Tnx. If only we could get E3 (Alliant) in Europe 🙂

E3 sounds good but it is not listed as a handgun powder unlike the other shotgun powders that are, so that begs the questions, WHY it is not if it is that good?

I am not saying you are wrong, I am just one of those curious minds.

I have been browsing for powder and I can get E3, WST or 320.

I am certainly purchasing 320 because I know it works.

WST is cheap but being in Canada, having a temp sensitive powder sucks. It also smokes.

Now last E3, I can get 8lbs cheap but I am worried that if I do and it does not work well in my gun then I am stuck with a lot of powder. I cannot get a pound of the stuff because it is being shipped from the other side of the country.

Any experiences here with E3 and Campro bullets in a SVI (major load).

Thank you

2 minutes ago, Furrly said:

I use N310 in my svi, it's only powder I use for it..

I've shot thousands of rounds without issue.. 

Indeed. 10's of thousands. And the hyperbole of its temperature sensitivity is crap.

27 minutes ago, Avenida said:

E3 sounds good but it is not listed as a handgun powder unlike the other shotgun powders that are, so that begs the questions, WHY it is not if it is that good?

Marketing? It's faster than Clays. It's right around N310.

36 minutes ago, Avenida said:

[...]

I am certainly purchasing 320 because I know it works.

WST is cheap but being in Canada, having a temp sensitive powder sucks. It also smokes.

Now last E3, I can get 8lbs cheap but I am worried that if I do and it does not work well in my gun then I am stuck with a lot of powder. I cannot get a pound of the stuff because it is being shipped from the other side of the country.

Any experiences here with E3 and Campro bullets in a SVI (major load).

Thank you

If you can get the e3 cheap then get both it and the N320 and then you'll be well stocked and have alternatives ready in case of shortages.

First, the burn rate charts do not accurately place e3.  I've been using it since it first came out.

Second, N310 temperature sensitivity is an established fact.  I used to use it for my 45 bullseye load.  The same batch of ammo ran 800 fps at 85 degrees and would not even cycle the slide at 30.  I chrono'd it at various temps and saw a steady decline at the temps got lower.  Believe what you want.  I now use e3 for 45 bullseye, 40sw major and minor and 9mm minor. 

On 3/20/2020 at 4:38 PM, zzt said:

Second, N310 temperature sensitivity is an established fact.  I used to use it for my 45 bullseye load.  The same batch of ammo ran 800 fps at 85 degrees and would not even cycle the slide at 30.  I chrono'd it at various temps and saw a steady decline at the temps got lower.  Believe what you want.  I now use e3 for 45 bullseye, 40sw major and minor and 9mm minor. 

I've been loading plated 230gr bullets to IPSC Major for .45ACP,  with N320. Yesterday, a guy at the range gave me a couple of rounds of his coated 230gr with N310, to try. The N310 rounds felt clearly softer. No chrono was available at the range. Temps were a bit cool: near 0 Celsius.

8 hours ago, perttime said:

I've been loading plated 230gr bullets to IPSC Major for .45ACP,  with N320. Yesterday, a guy at the range gave me a couple of rounds of his coated 230gr with N310, to try. The N310 rounds felt clearly softer. No chrono was available at the range. Temps were a bit cool: near 0 Celsius.

Indeed.  zzt's loves to over-exaggerate the temperature sensitivity of N310. It's great he's found other powders that work for him. There's plenty of us who use N310 who have chrono information from there to well over 100f.

Back to the point of softness, using faster powders with heavier bullets is the way.

• 4 weeks later...

n340 is good for higher pressure 9 and 40 loads, like defensive ammo. It's stupid for uspsa pressures, and definitely results in more felt recoil and in most circumstances a slower return of the sights.

N320 is right in the sweet spot, quick and clean, sights come back fast, and you have to be a real retard to blow something up with it.

I have 2-3 lbs of n340 still, but I wouldn't use it for competition unless i literally was unable to obtain n320, ba 9.5, prima sv, red dot, clays, imr red, e3, promo and half a dozen other powders that work better for the velocities competition shooters need to reach.

^ For 9mm (so far) there might be an exception.

I was reading a 5000 shot review of Laugo Alien. The writer thought that the Alien was easier to shoot fast with slower powders and lighter bullets, unlike what is usually preferred for other 9mm pistols. The very different mechanism with gas retarded blowback action was the probable cause.