Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson PM9

Oldhand

Just picked up a low round count PM9, with g10s and a Dawson ice Maxwell.  Is there any think else I need to do to it by chance that current owners noticed it needs?

Not sure on putting in a SVI trigger bow for shave weight and hopefully it makes weight just under 43oz. 

Going with my load from the Phantom that make 130PF, not sure what spring it has or what I should run to limit the nose dive, if any, with a stock spring.

Weight shouldn't be an issue. My Wife's comes in at 42.9oz with LOK grips, Tripp 10 rd mag, and a Fusion STEEL magwell. The Dawson is aluminum so you save some weight there.

• 5 months later...

I have a Dan Wesson PM9 and the weight should not be an issue.  As far as spring weight I run a 10lb ISMI spring.  The only other item I added were Techwell grips and magwell.  The Dan Wesson is one of my favorite handguns to shoot.

Techwell grip panels and magwell, Wilson extended mag release button with extra strength spring to avoid mag drops when shooting, 2 lb trigger job, tuning of the grip safety leg of the leaf spring, EGW ambi thumb safety.  For mags I stick with Trip Research 10-rounders.

In my experience shooting the PM-9, the best mags were the Dawson 10 rounders. I found them to be more reliable than Tripps. But others may have different experiences.

Lots of this stuff is just your own preference on parts - magwells, etc.

It's a great shooting gun.

I use metalform (dawson puts his name on them)  in all my SS 9mm, they sometimes need a little LOVE in the beginning (make sure they drop free, ect..)

. But work in all my 9mms

I have a few Tripp 9mm mags, don't like the fact that a bullet falls free during a reload or load and make ready (using a full mag as a barney)

Nothing against Tripp, there service is 1st class and I only use there 10mm mags in my .40 SS guns.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2020 at 3:05 PM, shootin-blanks said:

I have a few Tripp 9mm mags, don't like the fact that a bullet falls free during a reload or load and make ready (using a full mag as a barney)

I do have that issue with Tripp mags.  Also, I sometimes get hangups during reloads when the top bullet nose is sticking out beyond the front of the mag.  It's a tradeoff.  These mags are easy to de-load but we see these issues.  Might try the Dawsons next match.

Edited by GunBugBit

Perhaps I can save you some trouble.  I tried Wilson ETM, McCormacks, Tripps and Brownell's (Metalform with a nicer base pad).  The Brownell's were the only ones that worked.  Every time someone at the club has a problem with a 10-round 9mm mag I lend him one of mine to try.  presto, it worked.  Then they go out and buy some.  Dawson's are the same mag with a different base pad.  BTW, you DO have to condition the springs by leaving them fully loaded for a week or two.  I paid a little extra buying all those mags at Brownell's, but they accept them back without hassle.

Dawson's tubes may be made by the same place as others, but they have people that do things to them before assembling and packaging.   I don't know exactly what that is, but I've seen the people working in between a bin of 'incoming' and a bin of 'outgoing' tubes many times there and they are doing something to them.