Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Brass, Favorite Brand?

1911jerry

I was cleaning some brass this week and sorted out my favorite types. My question - is there any brands, other than Amerc, that you purposely avoid and why? I was thinking of using the other brands as practice brass and keep my favorite for matches.

Good idea? Sucky idea? Any advise?

Thanks

Jerry

prefer federal, zero problems!

just a note, i picked up a old S.A. that i had'nt fired in years, grabed some practice ammo and a box of americ that i can't give away, to make a long story short the americ preformed good in the old piece. I think this is the one that i had throated deeper, i don't remember why. it's the first 45 that i've had the it really worked in. <_<:blink:

Toss Amerc

Segregate double dot Winchester and S&B because the pockets are so tight - load them as a batch just to have a consistent feel - ie. tough! - when seating the primer.

PMC, Win, WW, GFL, CBC, R&P, Starline, IMI, TZZ, Federal - all same-same...with BE loads, lose'm before they split.

/Bryan

Edited by Canuck-IL

• 2 weeks later...

Favorite Brass? Starline.

I have documented that using Starline brass improves the accuracy of my loads.

The conventional wisdom would be to use it in competition and load the cheaper stuff for practice.

However, I do it the other way around.

Most major matches are "lost brass".

Starline is great, but new brass is about $100/1000 (.10 cents ea).

I can't quite bring myself to leave the Starline on the ground.

I use it to practice and load develop so I can pick it up and reuse it.

I use WW for matches which I can get from a local range for about .02 cents each.

It's used brass but I clean it up and inspect it.

I only need to fire it once and then I can walk away from it.

Tls

• 3 weeks later...

any brass that doesnt have crimped primers or read A-merc on the headstamp..

i really dont have a particular favorite...perhaps starline, but i have to buy that stuff.

the double dot winchester is S&B contract ammo made for winchester.

depending on your reloader, you might not notice the tighter primer pocket(read guys who own a 1050)

recently Academy sports and outdoors ran a special on Blazer Brass 45 ammo...the stuff was all over my local range..i really liked that brass...it seemed like its easier to resize and clean..

Anything that isn't A-Merc or CBC.

I will only use Remington with cast bullets, as the larger bullet diameter has enough case tension to hold it in place.

S&B has been great brass once the primer pockets are reamed or swaged. Can fully understand anyone who doesn't want to deal with it though.

Federal, Winchester, and Starline are my favorites. I like the way Starline feels when seating primers. Guess it's my favorite.

• 2 weeks later...

Federal or Winchester brass...No Nickle Plated brass though.

Starline is good as well but it's not usually found around these parts unless it's brandy new (aka. expensive).

Remington brass is utter garbage. So are most "off brand" brass like CBC A-Merc etc...

Military manufactured "primer crimped" once fired brass is what I use for "lost brass" matches. I usually buy 2000 or so, decrimp, clean and inspect it during the winter months, load up the match ammo and let it lay whereever it falls. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

ivan is right, i found a bunch of armscor 45 brass on the range and its been great...just like winchester.

The armscor ball ammo is as good as any too! I picked up a few bxs at a gunshow for some co-workers ...at the range, you cant tell the diff between it and the Rem-chesters