IVC

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/4/2020 at 9:13 AM, Schutzenmeister said:

As a RM I would not approve 10.2.10 for this.  This is a stage design problem, not a handicap issue.

why is a wall that is hard to shoot over for a short shooter a stage design problem ?

Are low ports or prone positions a stage design problem for tall or older people?

Being 6’2” senior I have a lot of issues with port height.  So anytime a shorter shooter has to get in their tip toes I have zero sympathy.

What comes around goes around.

Shoot’em as you see’em

6 minutes ago, zhunter said:

Being 6’2” senior I have a lot of issues with port height.  So anytime a shorter shooter has to get in their tip toes I have zero sympathy.

What comes around goes around.

Shoot’em as you see’em

there are more advantages for being taller than shorter in our sport...how often do you see low ports compared to having to reach around walls without having to really stretch???  having to take 5 steps from one port to the next instead of 2 or 3 is another big advantage for being taller...that is for 90% of the stages...
so yeah - i wish i was taller for most of the stages we shoot...

12 minutes ago, racerba said:

there are more advantages for being taller than shorter in our sport...how often do you see low ports compared to having to reach around walls without having to really stretch???  --- snip ---

Pretty much every stage.

Later,

Chuck 6'4" Super Senior

25 minutes ago, racerba said:

there are more advantages for being taller than shorter in our sport...how often do you see low ports compared to having to reach around walls without having to really stretch???  having to take 5 steps from one port to the next instead of 2 or 3 is another big advantage for being taller...that is for 90% of the stages...

only see the occasional stage that a wall or port is a disadvantage for a shorter person, but a lot of low ports or shooting positions.

Just now, bret said:

only see the occasional stage that a wall or port is a disadvantage for a shorter person, but a lot of low ports or shooting positions.

if you're not short, you really don't see those challenges...we make it look easy cause we're used to doing it...and we don't usually complain...

7 minutes ago, racerba said:

if you're not short, you really don't see those challenges...we make it look easy cause we're used to doing it...and we don't usually complain...

I don't complain about the stages, I shoot them.

51 minutes ago, racerba said:

I shot a local match for years where the stage designer was 5’4”, every single wall port was perfect for him.  And he loved ports.

I have not gotten over it yet, sorry

2 minutes ago, zhunter said:

I shot a local match for years where the stage designer was 5’4”, every single wall port was perfect for him.  And he loved ports.

I have not gotten over it yet, sorry

NP - well, that's an isolated situation...i can see how you would be bitter...

2 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

1.1.6 ...

why isn't a low port considered the same thing for old and tall people?

do we have to build stages that takes into account old fat people too?

10 hours ago, bret said:

why isn't a low port considered the same thing for old and tall people?

do we have to build stages that takes into account old fat people too?

Old, tall, and/or fat folks PHYSICALLY CAN go down to a low port.  It may be inconvenient, but they can do it.  At some point a port/wall can be so high that a short person PHYSICALLY CANNOT safely reach over it to shoot.  Therein lies the difference.

9 hours ago, ima45dv8 said:

Vertical ports/slits.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Schutzenmeister said:

Old, tall, and/or fat folks PHYSICALLY CAN go down to a low port.  It may be inconvenient, but they can do it.  At some point a port/wall can be so high that a short person PHYSICALLY CANNOT safely reach over it to shoot.  Therein lies the difference.

Thank you!

in the OP the shooter was able to accomplish it, where is there a problem?

55 minutes ago, bret said:

I think there was. She was given an obstacle that disadvantaged her unfairly due to her height. Since she was such an accomplished shooter, she was "barely" able to handle the obstacle. If any other short shooter attempted to engage the target, there might have been a safety issue. Shooting blind is never a good idea and we should never force any shooter to attempt this. 

2 hours ago, bret said:

The question arose at about the time she was figuring out whether she could do it all. Once she determined there was a way, the question changed from "impossibility" to "inconvenience." The former is what I was mostly concerned with, not the latter - at what point does the stage become "impossible" and what are the theoretical and practical limits for accounting for different body types.

As a side/humorous issue, there was a guy on the squad, a Master, who is 6'4" and likely bench-presses minivans in his spare time. The stage in OP started in a small house-like structure with narrow doors. We were joking that he either had to slide through the doors sideways, or risk catching and carrying the whole structure on his shoulders through the rest of the stage. I guess different body types always have their own challenges...

1 hour ago, IVC said:

As a side/humorous issue, there was a guy on the squad, a Master, who is 6'4" and likely bench-presses minivans in his spare time. The stage in OP started in a small house-like structure with narrow doors. We were joking that he either had to slide through the doors sideways, or risk catching and carrying the whole structure on his shoulders through the rest of the stage. I guess different body types always have their own challenges...

Supports my point ... This stage had numerous design/build issues.  Consideration should have been given to the arguably too high wall and the arguably too narrow door.  Neither is a legitimate shooting challenge and both were potential safety issues.