Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts On The Hi-point 9mm In Production

XAFSP

Tim,

I don't have much experience with the Hi-Point.

I sure would rather see a new shooter buy a used Glock 17 in 9mm. They can be found for a decent price. And, if you didn't like it, you could likely sell it for what you had in it.

All I know is that I don't own a Hi-Point and I wish I did.

Great blasters.

You'd do well with a Glock too. Your choice - but the Hi-Point is a pretty good blaster in its own right.

J

A friend has a Hi-Point 9mm that we were shooting this summer. It had a crappy trigger, jammed every other mag, was accurate enough to hold an 8" plate at 10 yds, bore was kind of high. It is probably a step up from a Lorcin or Nambu for IPSC, but not a big step. A police turn in anything is better than a Hi-Point. IMHO friends don't let friends buy Hi-Points for anything other than a trunk gun for your Yugo.

I thought they used a pure blow back action? Recoil would appear to ba excessive.

Night/day comparing a High point (a yugo) to a used Glock 17 (a Mercedes/Corvette/Lamborgini - you choose). For the money, you will enjoy the Glock far more than the hipoint.

*** Village idiot mode on ****

Yes, I was indeed talking about the Hi-Power.

God, what an idiot. I'm going back to my hole now.

J

***at this time administration can not give an accurate time on when this members idiot mode will be removed****

We had a shooter coming out regularly trying to use a Hi-Point. When it ran (infrequently) he was doing pretty good. He was shooting what he could afford and finally he just gave up shooting until he could afford something else.

I wouldn't have one if you gave it to me.

I'd like to see somebody run a "claims match" where every shooter agrees ahead of time that they will sell their gun/mags/holster for $300 or $500 (or whatever) to any other shooter on demand. Minor scoring only.

Personally, I'd probably shoot a junky (but functional) old police revolver from a surplus duty rig, but it would be interesting to see what other sorts of firearms and gear would appear.

One positive on Hi-Point, in a boat load of drawbacks for IPSC use, I've never had to take one back from a dealer. And I don't think anyone else here at work has in over five years either. Precious few gun manufacturers make that sort of claim. Additionally, Hi-Points are sold out more than they're in stock due to consumer demand or maybe it's just slow, purposeful production.

Yes, they are blowback +P+ rated, that's why they have the ergonomics of a boat anchor.

Hi-Point Website

This concludes today's segment of "everything you never wanted to know about a cheap 9mm".

I've had a running joke going with one of my shooting buddies about Hi-points. We kept seeing all the big dogs at the big matches with their tech-wear shirts loaded up with sponsors and, since neither of us is ever going to be good enough to actually get sponsored, we have been talking about forming "Team HiPoint". I think we'd have a good shot at getting a factory sponsorship. I'm picturing a couple fat guys in really garish tech-wear shirts with Hi-point logos all over them, a couple comped 9mm Hi-Points with big coke can sized BSA red dots on top in race rigs, savage orange boonie hats, mirrored sunglasses, tactical black BDU pants w/ all the pockets we can get, etc. Show up at some big matches as the "unknown dark horses" and see how many people just bust out laughing in our face.

Don't even jest about these pieces of crap.

They likely don't get returned to the dealer because after the robbery they get tossed in a dumpster.

The only thing worse than the handguns is that hideous carbine.

Don't even jest about these pieces of crap.

They likely don't get returned to the dealer because after the robbery they get tossed in a dumpster. 

The only thing worse than the handguns is that hideous carbine.

Just because they don't meet South Carolina's melting point law is no cause to get uppity.. :ph34r:

Besides they're too big and tend to print, even drag down sweat/warm up pants... :lol:

You can shoot one, but I think the rules say that you have to shoot it "homey style" (one handed, grip parallel to the ground - or higher than the barrel, strong hand above eye level)....

:lol:

*** Village idiot mode on ****

Yes, I was indeed talking about the Hi-Power.

God, what an idiot. I'm going back to my hole now.

J

***at this time administration can not give an accurate time on when this members idiot mode will be removed****

jack,

you need to turn off the village idiot mode B)

lynn

Mike Carmoney, you are evil! Posing a dilemma such as that. Let's see, I need to pick a handgun I think is good enough to win with, but I have so little emotional investment in it that I'd sell it to the first person who asked.

And any internal trickery I've done is simply wasted, gone to the lucky buyer?

You'll drive me to drink, thinking like that. But I'll bet my Hi-Point can beat your Hi-Point.