Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 750?

Hi,

I have a Dillon 650 and while I load mostly small primers I do shoot .45 and occasionally load large rifle primers.

I find changing the priming system an enormous pain -  what seems straightforward in theory always ends up with problems and blows 30 minutes or more of my time. 

But, the primer system in the 750 seems a bit flimsy. Anyone with a lengthy load history on the 750? Is the priming system reliable and sturdy?

Thanks

If you are possibly thinking of swapping presses consider you will take a loss on the sale of yours.  Instead why not buy a used (low mileage) 650 so you can have one setup for each. The 650 system is more robust in my opinion

I hated changing the primer system over.  You can buy a complete priming system and then you're only talking two bolts to change.

Or you can buy a second press.  That's what I did.  

I haven't seen any complaints from the people who bought 750 presses.  It's the same priming system used on the 550 for years.  Just in a different locations.

• 3 weeks later...

I just upgraded from a 650 to the 750. My biggest issue I had with the 650's primer system is that I had issues with occasional primer seating sideways issue and I was just generally annoyed with the always-on primer advancing (I know this can be "fixed" with a primer stop switch aftermarket), but I had somebody who was looking to get a 650 so I offered mine for sale and just stepped up to the 750.

IMO the primer system on the 750 is much, much better. No more issues with sideways primers or primer disc failing to advance due to some hangup in the system. It just works. Not sure if it's because the 750 I have is brand new and my 650 I bought used, but I just think the 750's primer system is simpler, faster to change from large to small, and is just less of a headache in general. I also do feel that the seating is more positive and produces more consistent beneath-flush seating than my old 650.

I hate these threads. I was in the reloading room this evening, wondering if I should upgrade my 650 to a 750. Love the 650, but I have had my share of issues with the primer system.

Still have a hole in the ceiling above the press from my one primer kaboom.

Just one more thing to spend money on, I guess.

I got a 750 in January. I have run about 4000 rounds through it and not one primmer issue . I have seen where people had issue with the 650 . I like the fact that the went to a 550 style priming style system . I always had two 550s one large and one small. Now I want to invest in another 750 . Lol 

On 2/24/2020 at 6:59 PM, tbarker13 said:

I hate these threads. I was in the reloading room this evening, wondering if I should upgrade my 650 to a 750. Love the 650, but I have had my share of issues with the primer system.

Still have a hole in the ceiling above the press from my one primer kaboom.

Just one more thing to spend money on, I guess.

If it makes you feel any better, I upgraded to a 750 from a 650 because of the priming system. No more sideways primers or primer wheel advancing issues are wholly eliminated with the 550-style priming system. 🙂

I have a 750 and loaded about 3000 rounds of 9mm so far.  Press works perfect,  but wish I would have bought a 1050/1100 because I  would like to have swaging capability.

Edited by Nc1911
Spelling

6 hours ago, Blacktail 8541 said:

I have been seriously considering selling my super 1050 and purchasing a 750. I just don't load enough on the S1050.

I have a 2 extra tool heads as well as some conversion kits. A tough decision.

Don't really hear too many people downgrading, even the ones that don't load a lot. Most that don't load much on the 1050 still like the easier pull.

On 2/27/2020 at 11:07 PM, Syntax_Error said:

If it makes you feel any better, I upgraded to a 750 from a 650 because of the priming system. No more sideways primers or primer wheel advancing issues are wholly eliminated with the 550-style priming system. 🙂

I can definitely see the advantage of that.

So annoying having to fix those when that happens. That was actually the source of my kaboom.