Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best work out for IPSC/USPSA shooters?

Dontkillbill

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started this thread and let it die a bit.    Post Covid I need to get inshape and after retiring had the energy to do so at least a good start.   Lots of lifting , compund movements with heavy wieghts. In my last match I was faster but  I felt my endurance wasn't quite up to speed,  the heat was getting to. So I am going to add a bit more cardio. Mind you I also switched back to irons so I might seemed more shakey than I was.    Anyway I will build a bit more cardo to be sharper in the last 2 or 3 stages.   What's your favourite cardio?   

1 hour ago, Dontkillbill said:

I started this thread and let it die a bit.    Post Covid I need to get inshape and after retiring had the energy to do so at least a good start.   Lots of lifting , compund movements with heavy wieghts. In my last match I was faster but  I felt my endurance wasn't quite up to speed,  the heat was getting to. So I am going to add a bit more cardio. Mind you I also switched back to irons so I might seemed more shakey than I was.    Anyway I will build a bit more cardo to be sharper in the last 2 or 3 stages.   What's your favourite cardio?   

I started rowing on a Concept2 rowing machine in January.  During some downtime at Christmas I started checking out a bunch of different cardio equipment at a couple of gyms. I must have tried 6 or 7 different types of equipment before settling on a rowing machine.  One of the best decisions I made, and very affordable too. 

I doubt cardio will do much to improve sharpness on the last stages of a day, we are sprinting 6 to 16 times a day not running a marathon. There is plenty of time between stages to recover.

If it's just the last stages of the day that you are having trouble with I would look at eating and drinking properly during the day as well as a mental aspect.

I have to admit I have not done cardio in years.  I do full body workouts and use weights to keep my heart rate up. 

Maybe  I don't notice or pay attention but I don't see many other shooters eat or snack to the extent I do.  I have seen many eating mcdonalds "food" at 8am with a huge coffee.  That won't work well.  The gatoraide I see being used is a sad joke.  It's coke with extra salt.

For a long all day match I'll take a full thermos of a homemade latte for the am.  I'll then have on hand a mix of cut up berries/cherries/mango.  Sometimes some Kefir (my wife's preferred meal).  Bread with butter and jam.  Hard boiled eggs with a pepper/balsamic/olive oil mix. I'll sometimes throw some choc nuts or just a plain old bar.  Lately I've been adding a cold matcha latte for around 3pm (I use a power that has mushroom extracts).  it's got some caffeine but theanine as well.  Nice mix of sugar, fats and protein. Keep in mind all the above is raw (milk and butter), organic if possible. 

I do go a little mad with the quality of my food.

If you're talking southern-style "heat", where 102 degrees in the forecast has your phone saying "5 degrees colder than yesterday" and the humidity is enough to water plants, you need to get out in it more and get adapted.  Couple guys I know go for a 3-5 mile walk at lunchtime every day.   Really sucks for the first week or two.   They aren't in super-good shape, but they aren't dragging at the end of a match...

Slap on a GPS or have your phone track you for a match and see how far you walk at one and compare to a regular day.

I've found high intensity interval training works pretty well combines with weight lifting. By that I mean specifically sprints, I like to change it up from a 1 minute all out run, rest for a 1 minute, do this 3 times. Knock it down to 30 seconds and 30 seconds rest, do this 3 times. Then knock down to 20/20 for 3 times. I guarantee you're whooped by the end of it. It's great for conditioning work.

I usually do a lot of core exercises to help with from the shoulders to knees since that is the section I mostly use for matches.  Sometimes hit the treadmill.  Plus I see a lot of people end up wearing knee braces since we are hard on the knees so.  Don’t know the names of them other sit-ups and push ups…the knee stuff was just something I learned from knee rehab exercises.

and just getting use to being out in the heat also helps.

1 hour ago, JoeMKY said:

I usually do a lot of core exercises to help with from the shoulders to knees since that is the section I mostly use for matches.  Sometimes hit the treadmill.  Plus I see a lot of people end up wearing knee braces since we are hard on the knees so.  Don’t know the names of them other sit-ups and push ups…the knee stuff was just something I learned from knee rehab exercises.

and just getting use to being out in the heat also helps.

I think you said the best possible thing of just get used to being in the heat 

I run a mile on the treadmill, squats, pull ups, deadlifts, bar bell rows, dips, chest press, abs, machine fly and sometimes bicep curled. Id like to start sprinting. 

I think the most important thing to work for most people is the core and cardio. Grip and arms could be the next important and then legs.

I believe the core supports transitions because of the way we move our arms and it helps with stability. Arms/grip support the gun and cardio gives us the lungs to run. 

Ive seen little guys control the gun better than strong guys and I’ve seen heavy guys run a stage fast. Whatever you do is going to help so fot me that means just keep it simple and don’t over do it. 

I do a good job staying fed and hydrated and I am pretty sure I hit 14-16000 steps on match day.  Thhe heat was the  big thing.  I am proudly Canadian and like it cool.   I have dropped some weight but I like the idea of the conditioning.  Some low hanging fruit physically and I will get out to work transition drills as well.    My knee needs a few days off but I plan on doing some farmer carries and sled work along with some slightly longer sessions.  I have 2 big matches to end the year and I would like to shoot my best.   

Plan A 5-10 more pounds, some high intensity workouts and some lower intensity longer workouts and shoot as much as I can. 

Stefvan I will check out all your vids... FUN! 

Keep posting love your inspiration. 

Cardio is important but our game is all power, speed and control.  Accelerate out of position and into position ready to shoot.

I also think keeping busy patching and resetting is important.  I've bought the portable chairs but I find it hard to get going again after sitting for a few minutes.

21 hours ago, Runswithwood1 said:

I think you said the best possible thing of just get used to being in the heat 

Yeah 20 minutes exercise in the heat today followed by 30 minutes of live fire drills in 90 deg heat and humidity 

1 minute ago, Runswithwood1 said:

Sounds awful for comfort, awesome for shooting matches 

Well I’ve been doing that this summer so by now just use to it, just have to keep hydrated I’m going to try the same for live fire practice in the winter to just get use to being cold.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2024 at 2:50 AM, StefVanHauwe said:

Fyi: On my YT-channel I have a dedicated Public Playlist with a variety of third party videos on physical training related te practical shooting:

This stuff is great for agility. I also like shuttle run type stuff for the stopping and switching directions and jump lunges/squat leaps for explosiveness and mobility. My issue is making that explosiveness happen on a stage! In general lately I've been incorporating sprint work - assault bike, rower. That wears me out noticeably more than lifting or steady state cardio, so I don't do it as regularly, but is probably more the type of endurance needed on match day- lots of breaks, but being able to push even on the last set/stage.