Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best work out for IPSC/USPSA shooters?

Dontkillbill

I do calisthenics, no weights other than body weight. This keeps me strong, in great shape, and not to bulky. I emphasize in explosive movements such as jump squats, switching lunges, explosive pushups, explosive pull up, and muscle ups. The explosive movements help in all aspects of our sport. I all so do three days a week of cardio hit workouts. 

So work puts go like this.

Monday, abs

Tuesday, chest and triceps

Wednesday, legs

Thursday,  back and biceps

Friday, shoulders

Saturday, full body 

Sunday, full body

Cardio falls on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday and done all in the evening. 

A good eating schedule always helps too. 

And for God sake don't forget your dryfire.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great question(s).

Grip strength is critical.  Read BE's book.

Accuracy -see above

Movement-ballistic quick first few steps

Breathing-30 second bust of energy

After shooting with some super squads and a few Area matches, they all seem to be able to push the physical.  All were out of breath at the end of the stage.  Kind of zero to infinity in <30 seconds.

Anything that enhances those attribute is worthwhile..

Ive been doing F45 classes for the last two months and I think its made a big difference in my shooting.  I can stay comfortably low in an aggressive shooting position for much longer.  I also dont find myself fading near the end of a long match like I did previously.  

I think short sprints, core work and squats/lunges have done a lot for me in only a short amount of time.  

• 1 month later...

I start with recumbent bike, then do precours, incline bench with overhead lifts and forward lifts, squats on a bosu, forward dips on a frame, on mat- bird dog, crunches, bridges, lying  on back weight lifts with both arms, on side lifts with right arm, on back- twists to side with legs clutching ball, one leg crossed over the other hand behind knee pull foreward ; dead bug; standing balance on one foot- left and right; standing dips with kettle bell; sitting, band around ankle rotate out both ankles both ways; walk on heels; walk on toes; plank on ball; pushups on ball; stretch hamstrings standing;  triceps pull downs; sitting chest pulls; seated leg press ; seated back extensions; stretch calves standing; sauna for 5 to 10 minutes; shower; done!!

Do  yoga 2X week- Tues and Thurs.

Use captian's of crush trainer daily for my grip.

This routine has worked for me for years. This is also my health program-

Edited by verla
additional infro

• 4 weeks later...

Stage IV Cancer.

Six months Chemo; it is a poison.  Totally trashed my body. I could barely ride my bike 30 yards.  I started increasing the distance.

Walked into a CrossFit Box in an old warehouse.  Great people and a great vibe.  I joined the cult.

30 minute ride to and from the box then;

Typically CrossFit routine:

• Warm up
  • Skill work (jumping rope, cleans, jerks etc.) always varied day to day
  • Strength work-always changing the muscle group
  • WOD-Workout of the Day-anywhere from 8-20 minutes of high intensity work

3 years later the Cancer came back

Immunotherapy for three years

NO CANCER

Did not stop CrossFit, NM, AZ, Spain, Morocco, Greece, France--all the same attitude. No earphones allowed, everyone is very supportive (even when my languages suck)

(side note: I was doing pull ups in a Madrid park.  When they found out how old I was, they all said 'I want to be like you at that age.'

Overall Impression

Great overall fitness.  Lots of core strength which is actually more critically than most people believe.

I can do handstand push up, pull ups, jumping muscle ups, almost doubleunders,   The weight lifting stuff I can usually do Rx which is pretty tough. 

I was in the 56% for my age during the CF Open last year. 

Overall fitness is best, as Lazarus Long says, ' specialization is for insects. '

Edited by pjb45

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting article on training, placebo effect etc from the BBC website - enjoy

http://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200501-the-performance-enhancing-trick-to-being-a-better-athlete

that aside, I run 3 times a week and do push-ups and sit-ups every day but I still get tired during a match!! I'm a big fan of carbo loading the night before I do anything (from a day shooting to hiking). Biggest mistake I used to make during a match is not eating - energy gets depleted quickly!! Its why when we are half way through I start eating!

• 7 months later...

I’m no expert I’m a 100% believer in strength training above all.  Especially 3 dimensional work where the body itself moves.  Such as squats, dumbbell lunges and chin ups (mostly wide grip).  These are still the core of my workout and my workout is a whole body one 3-4 times a week.  I have shifted to a more strength focused as I still need some motivation other than maintaining what I’ve got from lifting for 26 yrs.

I do legs & shoulders bi set [3-4 sets]

chest/back/calf/abs quad set [3-4]

bi’s/tri’s bi set [2-3]

sometimes I’ll add a forearm set to the arm one or simply do 3 sets of forearms by themselves 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Having lost a lot of soft tissue between 4 deployments as an Army Ranger, I will highly recommend PT type exercises for your knees and ankles.  Specifically, exercises that strengthen the soft tissue so that it can hold up to the hard cuts you do in USPSA.  Think wall squats with a ball, or squats with a band around the knees, resistance band ankle exercises, etc.

• 4 months later...

I see USPSA/IPSC and the new tactical games events as the “sport” / off cycle day from the normal strength and conditioning program. I’ve always been told that strength and conditioning builds into sporting activities and It’s changed the way I train and take care of myself in a nutrition standpoint. That being said, I’ve been a fan of crossfit since 2012 since it’s a mix of everything. I don’t ever see any workout as “dumb” but a challenge. 

On 12/12/2021 at 9:56 AM, Nc1911 said:

Rob Leatham  is far from a great physical specimen but still wins many matches at age 61.

Just shoot more Alphas and speed up your target transitions.

I can only speak for folks here from NC and down, but the heat and humidity during the hotter months in JUL-SEP will put people down. I know there's another topic started on this but hydration and keeping the body temp under control is another major factor. I can personally saw i've seen some top level shooters go down with heat exhaustion. 

1 minute ago, Kwontanamo said:

I can only speak for folks here from NC and down, but the heat and humidity during the hotter months in JUL-SEP will put people down. I know there's another topic started on this but hydration and keeping the body temp under control is another major factor. I can personally saw i've seen some top level shooters go down with heat exhaustion. 

Good point, July and August matches are a real challenge 

• 4 months later...

I do circuit training Mon-Fri to help with grip strength, muscle tone, etc. Also lighter weights, repetively, to strengthen deltoids, bicepts, etc. Have started barre pilates which helps flexability. At end of workout sit in sauna for about 15 minutes which I believe helps with heat tolerance. At matches when hot, drink at least one bottle of water per stage to prevent dehydration. If very hot also drink some type of electrolyte drink. Found that these procedures help shooting ability.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

After a couple years slacking off on my workouts, I got back into it seriously about a year ago.  I consulted with our lead physical training instructor at our LE academy when getting started. He's had extensive training in developing PT programs, and is also a firearms instructor, and shoots competitvely (although he's more of a "casual" competitor).

This is what he recommends for me, and I've been using it with great success:

Five days of workouts, two days of "rest."

Mon: Weightlifting (I use the 2 day/per week Wendler 5/3/1 program) - Squats & Bench.

Tues: Metabolic Conditiong (MetCon for the Cross fit crowd), aka HIIT.

Wed: Long Slow Cardio 20 -30 minutes.

Thurs:  Weightlifting (W 5/3/1) - Deadlift (with a hex bar due to low back issues) & Overhead Press

Fri: MetCon (aka HIIT)

I hate all forms of running, and since I no longer have access to a Concept 2 rower, I am lazy about the long slow cardio day. Often, I substitute 4 rounds of 3 minutes jumping rope, with one minute rest between rounds, instead of doing 20+ minutes of running. 

Before I installed a rack in the garage, and got barbells and plates, I was using this bodyweight program for my "strength/weightlifting" days. 

https://athleanx.com/articles/the-perfect-home-workout-one-month-plan (YT video of the program: 

Following the recommended 5 day on/two day off plan has helped me both with moving faster/aggressively through stages, and not being too fatigued during matches, on hot summer days in Texas.  It has also been a huge help with making me just generally feel better going about my everyday activities.

Now that I'm in my early 50s, I realized fitness needs to be taken seriously. Like many other things I wish I had realized that 3 decades ago!

Edited by ReconNav

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tifanyquarters4 said:

Any workout would do if it helped you to stay fit and feel better. I don’t do any specific exercises and do those that I feel make me feel better. It is all random, and I think that this way fits me the best.

Check out my YT-playlist of 3rd party videos on Physical Training for PS:

You don"t need a lot of strenght to be a good shooter. I have seen junior shooters with a small fraction of my stength that shoot very well. Several problems come up as we get older. 1. weight is higher so the strength to weight ratio is not good. I am all for strength training but for a lot of people weight loss will be faster and more beneficial in total performance. Both is obviously best. 2. This is the biggest one. Flexability, mobility, and strength at the extreme end range of movement. Check out ''Knees Over Toes Guy'' on youtube. He will explain it much better. I have gone from the doc telling me i would kneed surgery to no pain and a huge increase in mobility. Not just for old guys. My daughter has seen huge gains in performance and injury pervention as a collage volelyball player.

• 4 weeks later...

General warm up and stretching - 20 burpees (with vertical jump) followed by a dry fire of a 20 to 30 round field course (to get me used to focusing under stress - high heart rate/short of breath conditions), repeat burpee/dryfire routine for a total of 5 sets (no stops between sets (total of 100 burpees/5 dry fire of field course)

Total time - 15 to 20 minutes every day

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...