Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's the best work out for IPSC/USPSA shooters?

Dontkillbill

I'd love to hear what peoples opinions are.....

Endurance.  Long matches in the heat.  Fitness helps me be less tired and focus better.  Really important when your shooting and doing some RO'ing. 

Speed, agility and footwork.    Speed kills in any sport.  

Core strength heck overall strength its all good.  

Flexibility - Gosh darn low ports.   

Being fit outside of shooting has great benefits and who wouldn't want to make Super Senior with 10+ years experience in the division.   

What's your regiment?  

I'm working a little running but mostly rowing and cycling. Some powerlifting and some heavy bag work.  Once a week I do some agility work and speed (ish) work.  There is so much I want to do but the body will take only so much if I want to function at all.  I make sure I get abs down 4 times a week.   Once the weather gets nicer I may have to trim back one of the workouts with more range time.   

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the note.  

After taking 11 years off to grow a 90 pounds on my belly I have to get after it.    Right now I am trying to balance things out a bit and figure out a pace that I can sustain.   Diet is the hardest part for me and staying at  2600-2700 calories is work.  You know its worth it.   Today I am going to take the PM off and go to the range and shoot in the snow.   I think I will practice calling shots  and knock some rust.   Might set up a short stage if no one is around.   Light workout tonight.    It took 6 weeks to drop 2 pounds but I am 2 pounds down from my Dec 1 weight.   5 more pounds to drop for mid march. 

Non IPSC shooting I have a 300win mag load I want to test so my shoulder work out is taken care off :)    Those 208 ELDs kick but I hope to get a mile shot in this year.  I expect the load will change when I get a muzzle break. 

I've been a Super Senior for 15 years (You used to only need to be 60).  I try to hit the gym 3 days a week and alternate between the Concept 2 rowing machine and an Espresso bike.  I do 5000 meters on the rowing machine and somewhere between 5 and 8 miles on the bike.  I don't do much weight training but do dead lifts, pull downs, and chest press on a machine to hit the muscles not worked with the rower.  Back in the day, I kept a tennis ball in the car to squeeze at traffic lights.

On 1/24/2020 at 7:23 PM, wtturn said:

Heavy barbell squats

Probably made the most difference for USPSA. Helps the sprint, done deep helps in and out of low ports. I work the whole body, but leg work made a definite difference.

Recently started some conditioning, we'll see if being less winded when it's over matters, never notice during cof.

• 2 weeks later...

Some good replies.   I had to take a week and bit off with a chest infection but got back to work yesterday.   I did what people recommended.  Squats.   I haven't lifted 275 since I was in my 20's.    I start with very light cardio some ab work then did some front and overhead squats with the bar to warm up then  did a few warm up sets then 225*8 , 275*3 and 225*6  I will continue until mid April and then work on doing higher reps.   Feeling it today  

Chest and shoulders tonight.   Going light so my legs can recover!

Friday I will dead lift and Saturday or Sunday will be footwork/speed day. 

Old3GNR I love the concept 2 rower and get 2-3 rows in a week.  I will like do 1000 meters after a mild bike ride.

About 4 months ago, I started doing cross training (CrossFit).  Not to improve shooting but to just get healthier and in shape.  With the cross training and a strict healthy diet, I've lost about 50 pounds of fat and gained some lean mass.  I was shocked when I went and had a DEXA scan and it said my body fat percentage is 16%.

Cross training has a lot of Olympic lifting such as deadlifts, overhead squats etc etc as well as high intensity cardio (burpees, rowing, jump rope),  all mixed in.  Now, I do not get tired at any point during a match and my focus is as sharp at the end of the match as it was at the start.  I find cross training to be a lot more fun so that helps keep me motivated.

I've been doing back squats once a week. 

x1 - 10 reps - at max weight for 10 reps.

x2 - 8 reps  - at max weight for 8 reps.

x5 - 5 reps - at max weight for 5 reps, for a total of 8 sets.

Between each set - I'll bike, ski, or row on the appropriate erg for 3 minutes. Overall it's a solid workout. Or as we like to say, swoleout. <- Yes, that's my second word in the Urban Dictionary. :) 

That's a lot of squats.  I've gone back after lifting for 25 years to a whole body workout 3-4 times a week with a strength emphasis.  I like staying lean all the time so I'm a lot smaller than I was in my 20's so with making gains in strength I am at least getting somewhere.  I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm not just working out to maintain what I've got.  I'm results orientated so I need to be on a path to somewhere.

I'm also training with more work on the forearms.  Some specialized work, some incorporated into other exercises by making the dumbbell handle thicker. http://sportsco.sg/oem-silicon-dumbbell-grip.html

I like rear heavy dumbbell lunges for legs too.  My grip with the handles on gives out before my legs.  The rear motion is much more forgiving of the knees than a forward step and lunging back.  One could also do walking lunges like this too.  Not the most fun exercise.

I will throw in a shoulder set right after legs to keep the heart rate up and gym time short.

After 4 sets of legs/shoulders it's chest/back/abs/calves.   So for instance I'll do dumbbell press, then immediately to chin ups, then abs then donkey calf raises. 1-2 min rest repeat. Then tri's/bi's and some extra forearm work.  10 minutes of stretching and I'm done.  Dinner then back down to dryfire.

We built a nice basement gym 17 years ago.  I couldn't work out a regular gym.

I also don't do cardio, I've been meaning to do hill sprints HIT but where's the time for that?  I keep the rest periods short so there is my cardio.

Mikey.  I am the opposite I need a gym or I never get stuff done.  Yesterday was an unplanned recovery day after squats on Tuesday which were the heaviest ones I've done in 20 years.  #Ishouldofskippedlegday!

BC57 Tried crossfit and I will go back but I found the workouts a bit too much.  Even scaled you can only do so many burpees.   Our club just got more beginners so it might be a good time to get rolling again.   I was going to start back last week but the flu and a chest infection delayed my return.  

Benos I am sore enough then read your workout! OUCH!!!!

On 2/5/2020 at 10:13 AM, Cuz said:

For those who can’t get to a gym, there’s a bunch of great body weight workout routines and 30 day programs at:
Www.darebee.com

And it’s all free!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll definitely have to look into this for when I am traveling.  I hate hotel "gyms" and I find that I quickly get out of my routine when I have to travel

20 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

I'll definitely have to look into this for when I am traveling.  I hate hotel "gyms" and I find that I quickly get out of my routine when I have to travel

I'm on the road this weekend.  Not sure how I am going to handle it.     Friday I will leave work early for a work out then Saturday will be tough but I might get a day pass at a local gym and Sunday I can hit my own gym for a workout if I am not too tired.    Might take Sunday as a rest day.   We will see.   Burpees in the bathroom.....

New to the forum and can’t help out much around most of the topics and questions asked but this is one area I know well!

a really good work out That works is the 30-60s and 60-120s   It bascically just a drill you do for about 10 to 15 minutes depending on current ability’s. All you have to do is get a stop watch (or you could use your phone if you wanted) then go out side and run.  for the 30-60s there a bit harder because at the minimum your supposed to be jogging. On the 30 second your sprinting for the minute your jogging. The 60-120s are similar but your sprinting for 60 seconds and walking for 2 minutes.  doing this 2-3 times a week for 10 to 15 minutes a day gradually building up to where you can keep going for 30 minutes at a time seriously helps with your endurance and agility

also don’t forget about stretching just 10 minutes everyday helps out a lot with keeping flexible 

I checked out Bodybuilding.com and found a good video on medicine ball slams.  They will compliment box jumps nicely.   I have had to trim down my 2020 plan as not to burn out.   I find that as I age my recovery time needs more "respect".    I think on agility day I will work in medicine ball slams with box jump and some kettle bell swings. 

I have no idea what is good , but after 23 years of shoeing horses , I have not squatted weights since 1995... I just squat horses!  I don't do any grip training, but between growing up with horses/farm work/ previous weight lifting , using hand tools every day and forging  my grip strength is very good.   I had to quit free weights about 4 years ago, as I avulsed tricep insertion doing heavy curls.  Apparently pitching, weight lifting and swinging a hammer are the three leading contributing  of tricep tendon injuries in athletic men in their late 40's.... I had all three.

Besides  wrestling horses and forging every work day I do a workout 4 days a week.  

Monday

100 pushups arms wide

100 decline crunches

2 min high plank alternating legs lifts (up down, in out etc) every 15 seconds

I do not rest and try to get everything done in under 4 min 30 seconds

tuesday

2 minute low plank with leg slifts the last minute

Wednesday 

100 hands under chest pushups

100 decline crunches 

same planks as monday

Friday I do the same as Monday, then reverse the next week.  The Urologist warned me not to do much more, as he thought my remaining kidney might get overloaded by my muscle mass and activity level by .  So far my values have been stellar.

After my right nephrectomy it took about 2 months to feel any strength, as my abs had been split for about 8 inches to get the kidney out.  I can still see the incision sight raise when I do sit ups.  If I can't kill it or pick it I don't eat it.  No bread, no pasta, no potatoes nothing with added sugar.  The only time I sit is if I'm typing, reloading or sleeping.

Apart from tearing my calf muscle at Nationals last year, and becoming overheated at area 4( good god was it hot) and, I've never experienced any fatigue problems.

JAson

Edited by Makicjf

Strength training is great for preventing aches and pains and general health. But, except for grip, pistol shooting is not really a strength sport. A heavy pistol is under 5 lbs. Basic strength plus speed/endurance is more useful.