Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Proportion Of Idpa And Uspsa Do You Shoot

freeidaho

I have never shot an IDPA match, 100% USPSA.  I honestly don't see the point to it.  I like to shoot and the round count for IDPA doesn't do anything for me.  If I could find a "relaxed IDPA" club I might give it a try but it just doesn't interest me much.

Neal in AZ

Intel6,

Rio runs a pretty informal IDPA match on the 4th Saturday of the month at 4pm.

Open squadding like TueNiSteel. Check their website for more details.

until that day

Mark

I'm new to competitive shooting, and I've only shot IDPA. I'm very much interested in the tactical/self defense aspect of shooting, so even though I recognize that IDPA is a game, it fits in better with my training needs than IPSC.

Having said that, I am envious of the higher round counts/more elaborate stages that I understand IPSC has over IDPA. I would shoot the local monthly IPSC match if it didn't conflict with an IDPA match. (And I may skip IDPA in favor of IPSC next month, just to give it a try.)

In fact, tomorrow I'm driving 90 miles to shoot at a different IDPA club because I hear they put on more complex stages.

By the way, the two IDPA clubs I have shot at were very friendly and don't seem to be hung up on rules, unlike some of the other clubs I've read about. For example, no one seemed to be enforcing the new holster rules, and a novice shooter that turned up with a speed holster was allowed to shoot. (He came to the range thinking it was the day of the 3-gun match.)

Edited by Leozinho

I shoot mostly steel matches since my work schedule and remodeling conflict with the other matches. :(

If my work schedule changes I will probably try some IDPA and 3 gun. As for USPSA I try to shoot the Area 2 every year.

Just about any trigger time is good though...

• 3 weeks later...

USPSA and 3-gun 99% occasional IDPA if there isn't anything else to do. Most shooting nearby is USPSA, so that is sort of a default. I suppose if all that was around was IDPA, that would be what I'd have to shoot. Personallay I like the high round count and the rush of the USPSA and 3-gun vs the more structured format of IDPA. I like to solve problems on my own.

Jim Norman

• 2 weeks later...

Just shot my 7th ever IDPA match today (including my classifier). Congrats to the staff of the Commonwealth Cup at Cavalier Gun Club for another great match. I shot there last year (my 4th IDPA match), and it was even better this time.

There's no getting around the fact that no matter what IDPA match you shoot, there's going to be a Range Officer who will scrutinize you more than others (that's the nice version). I've shot one where that wasn't the case (the IDPA match held at my old range). Just deal with it, and remember...it's not like you're shooting for a new car. Have fun!

BTW, for any new or less than cordial SO's out there, a police officer wearing his duty gear is NOT required to wear a cover...at least according the RULE book. We obviously need more cops shooting IDPA!

". . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fu**ing fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your a**holes!"

Clark Wilhelm Griswold, Jr.

BTW, for any new or less than cordial SO's out there, a police officer wearing his duty gear is NOT required to wear a cover...at least according the RULE book. We obviously need more cops shooting IDPA!

Phil,

I don't see that mentioned in the current rule book but I tend to miss things when reading the older I get. I only find the requirement that all retention features of the holster be functional on duty gear. What page is it found?

I know I shot in my duty gear at local matches a few times back when IDPA was first starting and didn't have to wear cover then. But I tossed all my old rule books so I don't have a reference. I did as well or better with my old Safariland Top Gun holster and mag pouches back then than when having to deal with a cover garment and no retention features.

Craig

Craig, you're right - it doesn't mention anything under "Concealment Garments" in the new rulebook but if you go to page 35 under "Criteria of an IDPA Approved Holster" you will find the following note at the end of the section:

"Exception – Police or military officers may use their duty rig, but ALL retention features of the holster MUST be used and all belt equipment (mace, handcuffs, etc.) must be present."

One of those "could have been made a little clearer" items but still called out.

Jerry

You're right. The EXCEPTION rule for duty belt refers to the holster, pouches, and related equipment. But check out page 13 next to COF13.

"CoF 13. Use concealment for scenario stages when

appropriate. Exception: Police or military officers when using

actual duty gear."

Trust me. I know I'm a marked man at IDPA matches. I researched this one very carefully! :D

Apparently this had some people really upset at this weekend's Commonwealth Cup. I guess if I keep winning we can expect a rule change in a year or two!

Is there an advantage? This is the way I look at it. There are a lot of really good cop shooters that play this game (Scott Warren, Rob Haught, Bryce Linskey, etc). If there's any advantage to using it, I'm sure they would've been doing it long before I came along.

Remember it's always the equipment that matters, never the shooting...or something like that!

Phil

.......Remember it's always the equipment that matters, never the shooting...or something like that!

Phil

One might think so,,,,I think you have an unfair advantage by being smooth and rounded, Less air resistance. The extra 10 or 15# weight of the duty belt would therefore be an advantage as it would keep you from flying into the air as you accelerate between positions....

Edited by Merlin Orr

I guess the advantage is in which equipment you practice with the most and are more comfortable with. Back when I used my duty gear, it was the most familiar to me since I wore it 45+ hrs a week. The thumbbreak was simpler than grabbing a piece of vest when drawing. And the duty mag pouches up front were pretty fast too.

Now I sure wouldn't want to be wearing one of those level III holsters where you have to press tab A while flipping lever B and simultaneously rocking the pistol forward and up to draw................................ Besides, it's a DQ waiting to happen- I saw too many cops fling their pistols downrange while drawing with these contraptions. No reason to think I wouldn't happen in competition.

But those were the old days and I am since retired. So no doubt the concealed stuff would get the job done quicker for me now. Haven't worn the duty gear in 6 years. Besides, the belt seems to have shrunk too.

Trust me. I know I'm a marked man at IDPA matches.---Phil

Phil,

This had been a very enlightening year for me with regards to IDPA, it's leadership, rules and the partisanship of some of it's supporters.

Even so, I had never given any thought that elite USPSA shooters were targeted by IDPA SOs. But with the recent T Butler DQ fiasco and now your statement, I'm wondering how common the belief of being a "marked man" is among the USPSA elite?

Excuse me if I misunderstood or "projected" in to your statement. I do that some times.:)

Respectfully,

jkelly

Edited by jkelly