Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr. Bulletfeeder Pro Drop Assembly

Is there any advantage to installing the upgraded bullet dropper assembly on a standard Mr. Bulletfeeder? Does it solve any problems? I don't need the whole Pro model since my press is not automated, however if the revised dropper assembly is better I would add that to my purchase. Can it be readily adapted to the standard bullet feeder? Any issues on doing so?

Thanks

If your existing dropper isn't restricted by the spring tube, the standard version should work fine.  All the Pro version does is add more weight in case there's some type of restriction that's preventing the dropper from functioning properly.  If that's happening, seems to me the correct fix would be to adjust the collator and spring tube so there's no restriction vs. adding more weight to the dropper.

Edited by ltdmstr

On 1/2/2020 at 12:59 PM, ltdmstr said:

If you're existing dropper isn't restricted by the spring tube, the standard version should work fine.  All the Pro version does is add more weight in case there's some type of restriction that's preventing the dropper from functioning properly.  If that's happening seems to me the correct fix would be to adjust the collator and spring tube so there's no restriction vs. adding more weight to the dropper.

The pro is taller and holds more rounds on it. The little one works just fine. Some people put a 99 cent spring on it to make sure it retracts. I personally haven’t had that issue but will do so if I run into it.

Here's the description from DAA's web site:

Since the dropper is gravity powered, by increasing the weight of the assembly we are able to get a more reliable and more consistent performance. In the case of the PRO dropper, the brass section is twice as long and so twice as heavy as the original Mr.Bulletfeeder, preventing hang-up which could happen due to excessive feed-spring sideways tension or friction to the dropper.

The Mr. Bulletfeeder PRO dropper uses all-steel parts for the die section to further add weight and durability for the large volume reloaders.

On 1/11/2020 at 2:15 AM, slavex said:

that probably means you have some upside down bullets coming through, I've had that happen, one upside down bullets can let a whole bunch spew through

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  The dropper is sticky, for lack of a better term.  It doesnt move as freely as my 40 cal dropper did.  

I bet if you post a photo of your set up, people could help guide proper set up.

I find 99% of peoples issues are poor placement of the hopper on the feeder. Normally adding too much lateral pressure to the dropper assembly.

Edited by Maximis228

1 hour ago, Maximis228 said:

I bet if you post a photo of your set up, people could help guide proper set up.

I find 99% of peoples issues are poor placement of the hopper on the feeder. Normally adding too much lateral pressure to the dropper assembly.

just bought a 1050 today.  will be a little while before i get it set back up, but the placement hasn't changed since it ran super reliably with 40.

On 1/13/2020 at 12:44 PM, Maximis228 said:

I moved the hopper closer to the front of the machine. I also took apart the dropper die and cleaned it. These two acts definitely helped, but I am still getting the occasional delayed drop.  I e the bullet drops after the press has come back down.  This is on a 650. I no longer have my 40 set up to compare to, but the 9 conversion has given me issues from day 1. 

1 hour ago, tha1000 said:

I moved the hopper closer to the front of the machine. I also took apart the dropper die and cleaned it. These two acts definitely helped, but I am still getting the occasional delayed drop.  I e the bullet drops after the press has come back down.  This is on a 650. I no longer have my 40 set up to compare to, but the 9 conversion has given me issues from day 1. 

Post up a photo so we can see what you are working with.

a spring attached to a washer under your lock die and attached to the brass cylinder, like Armanov sells, should cure that issue. Any sideways pressure on the bullet dropper will cause it hangup like that occasionally. Having something that pulls it back into place stops that. 

Edited by slavex