Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X5 dots, adapter plate inferior to no plate?

rtr

I have an original X5 which I believe is cut for the Romeo 1? (can someone confirm)  I currently have a Springer adapter plate with a Burris FF3 on it, and while the dot isn't objectionable in and of itself I find using it somewhat difficult because of the height it sits at with the adapter plate (it feels less natural than the CMORE slide ride mounted to a frame mount on my 2011 open gun) or even the RMR on my Glock 17).  I don't really have trouble finding the dot off the draw, but moreso losing it for longer periods of time under recoil and transitions/other movement of the gun.  I attribute some if not all of this to the usage of an adapter plate.  Wondering if others find this to be true as well?

I run a Vortex Razor on a Springer plate on my X5 but don't have the recovery issue, it seemed to need a little downward press when I first stared shooting it. I have considered milling the slide, but just haven't taken the step yet. 

The poor performance history of the Romeo 1 keep me from ever trying the direct mount so I have no concept of what that would be like.

Direct is always going to be better i.e. one less interface

But

.200 or less of height is not much to get used to.

Dryfire and live fire practice generally will solve that issue 

Keep practicing it'll come!

Merry Christmas

My opinion, it is not the mount, or dot over bore height pretty much ever.
If you are target focused and the gun is pointed at a spot, moving the gun up or down 1/2 inch (with it still pointed at the same spot) won't change anything the dot will still be in a window the bullets still hit in the same place, etc.

If your loosing the dot its index or recoild controll not .2" of dot over bore.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I used to have a hard time finding or staying on the dot. Them I got advise to dry fire. 

Since I have been dry firing I don't have the dot problems any more. 

I try to practice the stuff that is hard for me to do accurately. Like weak hand  and around the left side of a barrier. 

Also working on shooting faster. 

3 hours ago, JatCarver said:

I avoid a plate whenever possible but the issue your having isn’t equipment related in my opinion. 

This ^

A plate is just another cog on the wheel that can cause a problem.  Any time a plate can be eliminated it should be.

On 12/25/2019 at 8:56 AM, Jsjac said:

I used to have a hard time finding or staying on the dot. Them I got advise to dry fire. 

Since I have been dry firing I don't have the dot problems any more. 

I try to practice the stuff that is hard for me to do accurately. Like weak hand  and around the left side of a barrier. 

Also working on shooting faster. 

This!  And try gripping the gun harder. 

I’ve used both with and without plates. Honestly I can’t tell a difference, the dot is always where I expect it to be. 

Currently I am running a r3 max direct milled on a X5 legion. I eliminated the plate to have one less failure point. Back in my Glock days I had an optic and plate come off and hit me in the head, knocking me out. Not an experience I care to repeat.  Eliminating the plate is one less set of screws that can loosen or break. 

Edited by Rich406