Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Dies for Revo

RangerMcFadden

I’m going to follow as I’m relatively new to reloading But it’s been my experience that dies matter even less in Revo. Since guns aren’t particular about OAL, no need for a fancy micrometer seating die. I load .38 short colt on a .38 sizing and the rest run of the mill 9 dies. The only thing you need to be careful with is crimping. If you use coated bullets, you don’t want to over crimp and break the coating but you want it crimped enough to prevent walk out on the last couple rounds of the cylinder. I settled on a taper die just tight enough to gauge.

Depends?  

If you only use 9mm brass that comes from your gun, it makes no difference.  This is recommended anyway due to settling on a brand of brass that fits your moon clips tightly without binding.

If you are planning on using range brass, especially if it's scrounged at a USPSA Match with Open guns then you might consider a set of small base dies from EGW or Lee.  They will remove the bulges that can happen with 9mm major.  

The Dillon Dies have a more gradual taper into the die to optimize the case going into the die with no hang ups.

For my Production/SS guns in 9mm I use the Lee die with minimal issues, I will rarely have a case hang up going into the die and then requires a slower pace.  I use a 550, if I had a 1050 it would be more of an issue.

I also use a mix of dies, I use a Lee U die to decap and size, a Lyman M die to expand and flare with, a Hornaday to seat with and here is where I diverge from most others, I use a Lee short colt roll crimp to crimp my s colts and my 9mm's the 9's run in all of my bottom feeders also.

• 3 weeks later...

I've shot 9 mm Revo for awhile and have one set of mixed and a 4 die set from Lee. with the FCU

If the FCU is set up to just close the bell of the expanded case it seems to work fine with Bayou 160's sized at .358.

If you're shooting a 929 a lot of shooters find .358 bullets are more accurate than smaller 356 bullets commonly used in a 9mm auto.

Since you get all of your brass back shooting revo, I suggest you standardize on one head stamp.

I use Win or Speer but I personally know other 929 shooters who use FC, Blazer and one who uses RP.

Stay away from Starline as it often sticks in 929 Ti. cyl after the first reloading of it.

I used some and new unfired it worked fine: as soon as it was tumbled and re loaded it stuck in the cyl with the same load recipe.

good fortune with the Revolver shooting glad to have you on board in Rev. division

Merry Christmas

Neil

Hey Guys,

I need a 9mm roll crimp die to use on my 650 for my 929 loads. Have been searching forums and googling this stuff for two days. Can someone please give me a part number of a die that will work. I called Dillon and they said they only make a taper crimp die for 9mm.

2 hours ago, rwagner24 said:

Hey Guys,

I need a 9mm roll crimp die to use on my 650 for my 929 loads. Have been searching forums and googling this stuff for two days. Can someone please give me a part number of a die that will work. I called Dillon and they said they only make a taper crimp die for 9mm.

Use the roll crimp die from the LEE short colt die set, I have used that for several years with no issues.

10 hours ago, rwagner24 said:

Hey Guys,

I shoot 38 short colt and use a Taper Crimp 9mm die.  Works good, I'd expect it to work as well with the 9mm.  Might try what you have first and then if you do have issues go with the short colt roll crimp.  

On 12/26/2019 at 10:50 AM, rwagner24 said:

This is it correct?  I could just remove the seating part and use it as a standalone crimp die in my 650 

4D662F8A-9D52-4ED8-9297-1C5A03C53C6E.png

Yes this is the one I use and just like you mentioned remove the seating portion and use as stand alone crimp die

Got my Lee undersized die today. Went a little shorter on my original OAL so there was more bullet in the case. Can definitely see it grabs the bullet tighter but it still moved. Started with 1.140 shot 7 shots took last out measures 1.147 already. I also got my .38 short roll crimp die. I’m just going to wait on my other bullets that have the groove for the roll crimp. 

3 hours ago, rwagner24 said:

Got my Lee undersized die today. Went a little shorter on my original OAL so there was more bullet in the case. Can definitely see it grabs the bullet tighter but it still moved. Started with 1.140 shot 7 shots took last out measures 1.147 already. I also got my .38 short roll crimp die. I’m just going to wait on my other bullets that have the groove for the roll crimp. 

I don't use any bullets with a groove for crimping. It works with 147 Blue bullets, 145 Bang and Clangs, 147 and 158 rn Berrys plated, Bayou 147s and the 160s that I cast and powder coat. I haven't needed a groove when using any of these in my 929s or 627s.

18 hours ago, rwagner24 said:

I wouldn't chase this too much.  .007 isn't much I've seen it also not much difference than even factory rounds that get cycled into a 1911 over and over, i.e. my SD factory loads will lose that after maybe a dozen cycles of the first round into the chamber which is every 2 weeks for me as I don't leave a RIC at night.

About the only time it matters to me is after a match.  Then I just take the leftover rounds from moon clips and use them for practice, just because.  Haven't had any issues even if I do use them in the next match though.

Edited by pskys2