Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competitors score themselves?

Talon75

Read a FB post this morning about how Sgt. Jacob Hetherington (AMU) penalized himself at Nationals. Been thinking all day on how this happens? I personally would not score any penalty that I, or the other RO's on the stage, did not witness, as in see with my own two eyes, even if the competitor said he did it. Just curious on what actually happened, and how others would handle that situation .

3 minutes ago, Talon75 said:

Read a FB post this morning about how Sgt. Jacob Hetherington (AMU) penalized himself at Nationals. Been thinking all day on how this happens? I personally would not score any penalty that I, or the other RO's on the stage, did not witness, as in see with my own two eyes, even if the competitor said he did it. Just curious on what actually happened, and how others would handle that situation .

Got a link to the FB post?

Just want to be clear, my question is about how it was handled on the RO side of things and in no way ment to slight Jacob in any way, and I agree it shows the great integrity that should be a normal thing in this sport . 

According to a Facebook post by Nils, multiple people on the squad saw the hit on the no shoot. It’s unclear from the post whether any of the ROs on the stage saw it  or not. Apparently Jacob was expecting to get the no shoot penalty and saw that it wasn’t there on the score pad so he had them add it. I’m not sure from what I’ve seen whether the RO scoring the targets missed it or the RO recording the score didn’t enter it correctly. 

As an RO, if it hasn’t been pasted yet I’ll happily correct your score. If it’s already been pasted and no RO saw it, technically you could argue it should be a reshoot as a “prematurely patched target”, although it’s a bit of a stretch.

There was a similar story at this match of Nils doing the same thing. RO called a double without really looking at it and Nils made him go back and look again. He took the alpha mike. I think those guys want to win on their merits.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Win at all costs, if you aint cheatin you aint tryin type people would say "Hey if they didn't see it then it didn't happen. Their bad not mine." These same people waste the whole squad's time asking for overlays and calibration and targets pulled and hits questioned when they know they're not even close and are just "trying for every edge".

I do not like that attitude in a competitor or regular person. Good job on the young Sergeant.

Slightly off topic, a wise coach in another sport once told me, "Never leave it to the officials."

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Win at all costs, if you aint cheatin you aint tryin type people would say "Hey if they didn't see it then it didn't happen. Their bad not mine." These same people waste the whole squad's time asking for overlays and calibration and targets pulled and hits questioned when they know they're not even close and are just "trying for every edge".

I do not like that attitude in a competitor or regular person. Good job on the young Sergeant.

Slightly off topic, a wise coach in another sport once told me, "Never leave it to the officials."

In a recent SCSA match I heard the RO call a time on one of my strings that was almost a full second faster than it should have been. I called it as sounding wrong, and sure enough they had read the timer wrong.  I am like you, I want to earn it.  I would hope the RO would also want to correct things if a competitor called their own mistake.