Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to Limited- New TSO or Used 2011? Why/Why Not

Jhall100

I'm fairly new to USPSA (  
Thanks!  
TSO is awesome out the box you can literally shoot a match asap.

2011s in limited are usually fine even used. The difference there's a lot more aftermarket customizability with them.

The most important thing is if you're loading your own ammo or not. 40 wil cost money but you'll save a lot reloading. If both guns feel good in the hand and you naturally point them well., invest in the cheaper one and get started reloading.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'm a few years ahead of you.  I shot a Shadow 2 for one season, then an orange for two seasons, and this year I went to a 2011. 

The Orange is a great gun, and by comparison to a lot of 2011's, it's a great bargain.  I'm glad that I used one for a few years, because being a factory gun, with readily accessible parts that don't require any fitting, I could concentrate on my own skills without having to worry about my gun.  It's ready to go right out of the box.  It doesn't need a trigger job, or any custom parts fitted, just take it to the range and get after it.  Magazines were WAY cheaper and didn't require any tuning.  I feel like the Orange is a fantastic pistol for someone who is starting to get serious about the sport.  It's good enough that you could be competitive with it at the top levels, but accessible for most anybody.  Maybe you'll want to shoot something different in a few years like I did, and that's ok.  Turns out people are willing to buy these things used, so you can recoup some of your money and try something new. 

In the end, gun choice is a very personal thing.  You can be competitive with either one, it will come down to which one you're more comfortable with, which one you shoot better and which one you're willing to spend the money on. 

56 minutes ago, XDoctor said:

I'm a few years ahead of you.  I shot a Shadow 2 for one season, then an orange for two seasons, and this year I went to a 2011. 

This is a common path for many people. You will end up with a 2011 eventually. 

BTW, CZ mags are not really much cheaper: $50 for a mag+ $19 for springs and follower+ $38 for the base pad is basically identical to STI mags. You will have re-tune your CZ mags periodically as well because they are made from very thin aluminum and just do not last. CZ is a great gun for the money though.  

well put Doc.. Ive been running a TSO in limited for just over a year.. and just picked up another.  amazing limited pistol period.  amazing gun for the money... and only falls off a few hundred in the used market.  I hear the 2011 song - but I just dont see making a change anytime soon.

The guys above have given you good advice. The only other thing I'll add is to get your hands on both. The TSO didn't fit my hands as well (even though I shoot a Shadow 2 in Production), so I went with a 2011. You won't know until you hold both.

As a 2011 shooter basically from go, the TSO is hard to beat.  The price is right and it's competitive.  Watching a good friend of mine run past me and my glorious 2011 made me kinda sad.  Get your hands on both and make sure you like the fit.  You can't go wrong with either one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 3:54 PM, Jhall100 said:

I'm fairly new to USPSA (< 1 year) and I'm stuck between buying a new CZ Tac Sport Orange or a used 2011 for limited division.  Which would you choose and why?

Thanks!  

I could never get the angle of the CZ safeties to feel right for me. I went with a 2011 and have no reason to ever look back. I personally prefer the triggers and magwells as well.