Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

I shot again today.  I’ve got a total of 500 rounds through it.  With only the two failures to go into battery early on.  Many runs through the 140 mm cz custom mag extension with no issues.  I benched it today.  a friend of mine asked if you need to short load ammo as with czs.  I loaded some 147 sns flat points to 1.55 and they ran like a champ.  No issues and easily extracted by handMy eyes still had issues with the sights but my best 5 shot groups were 2 inches and one with 4 shots in an inch and the fifth made it 2”.  Worst group was 4”.  Which was most likely my error.  I’ll be switching to a .100 front and red optic as I’m wearing hunter hd glasses and the green fiber optic outdoors is too bright.  The recoil spring is heavy.  Even for factory ammo. It cycles but empties are not flung very far.   The rear sight adjustment screw does not move the sight much with each click.  Not an issue as there was plenty of elevation available to get it near point of impact.  The gun flat runs and shoots well.  I’ll be switching hammer spring to a lighter one and adjusting sear spring to lighten the trigger a bit.  And getting a lighter recoil spring as soon as I can figure out what it takes.

i feel it’s a nicely made machine well worth the money.  

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I brought mine to the range this past weekend.  It shoots great!  I just bought some Lok lightweight palmswell grips for it.

I am looking for a way to have it drop some weight so I can use it in IDPA.  I don't think the grips alone will get there.

Maybe there is a shop out there that could tri-top the slide (not sure if there is enough material for that).  Anyone know of any companies that will take the work on?

17 minutes ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

How many ounces does it need to drop ?

I don't have the grips in hand yet but I weighed the gun with an empty p10f mag and it came to 44.4 oz,

The grips are 2.0oz and it seems like the lok lightweight grips are 1.45oz so it needs to drop another .9oz (round it up to an additional oz to be on the safe side)

I have not shot IDPA in a while.  But I thought for some reason that they followed what ever the manufacturer weight was. Not what was done to the gun. Changing grips was OK.  But milling and ETC was not ok

Edited by 1911vm

1 hour ago, 1911vm said:

I have not shot IDPA in a while.  But I thought for some reason that they followed what ever the manufacturer weight was. Not what was done to the gun. Changing grips was OK.  But milling and ETC was not ok

For ESP, it looks like they changed it and as long as it makes weight and fits in the box it's good to go.  

37 minutes ago, Mike21STI said:

For ESP, it looks like they changed it and as long as it makes weight and fits in the box it's good to go.  

I have been out of IDPA for years.  Its really starting to look like original IDPA and USPSA  had an ugly baby. 😄 🤣 😂 

Picked up my DWX from my FFL today. 

Whooo doggie!  Feels like a really solid pistol.  Sight picture is really good.  Grips and front/rear checkering are aggressive... Really aggressive.  Trigger felt amazing and the slide was buttery smooth.  It felt really nice in my hands overall.  The FFL hadn't seen one yet and was also impressed.  Looking forward to taking it to the range. 

Also picked up a Bul Armory 4.25" 1911 commander that finally arrived as well. First Bul that I've had in my hands.  Likewise I was really impressed with the fit and finish. Grips feel like a palm swell style but I'll have to double check that one.  For whatever reason it felt fatter than my other 1911s. Barrel fitment is excellent.  Slide is tight for a production gun... Maybe 1-2 thou play side to side... I'd have to measure to be sure.  Feels like a $2k+ gun.  It should shoot really well. 

I called Gilbert from GP Arms.  Their 2011 Tac II in black is currently running likely 8-12 weeks and he'd have to put me on a list.  Price was $1890 I believe.  I don't know if it's any better than a Stacco or other similar 2011, but I was under the impression that is was a 1400-1500 MSRP gun.  Maybe I'm mistaken.  

8 hours ago, ULshooter2491 said:

I’d guess shadow2 or Tactical sport block but that would get expensive just buying to try. 

The trigger guard doesn't look anything like a CZ... The DWX is much more square. 

Edited by moose97

13 hours ago, mscott said:

Double Alpha doesn’t have a Racemaster holster insert block at this time. Anyone know what might be the closest fit?

We tested a bunch early on. I will look in my notes and see which one fits it and edit this post later

17 minutes ago, Foxj66 said:

We tested a bunch early on. I will look in my notes and see which one fits it and edit this post later

As mentioned above the STI/SVI block is what we found to be a close fit, good side to side / Up and down. Some movement front to back.

image.thumb.jpeg.86ceefa58bd73a2651fe0ef22a717605.jpeg

Edited by Foxj66

Thanks for the replies and the pictures are great. I have the STI/SV regular insert and the SV steel insert so sounds like one of those will work for sure. Gun will be here Friday afternoon with any luck.

I liked the Honest Outlaw review. Seemed pretty “honest”. If you love your TSO (or your 2011) just stay where yo are because they are all great guns. 

Three years ago I was gonna try Limited when the DWX came out. Got tired of waiting and now shooting Tanfos in Limited and I’m happy. 

Of course if you want one… buy it!

On 11/12/2022 at 7:25 AM, Posvar said:

Another gun nobody wants. :(

On 12/22/2022 at 12:41 AM, yigal said:

Yes. I know. And I've seen how those guns with the 2lb trigger and less shot doubles and more. That's why it gave me a boost to solve the problem and make this mechanism the most effective in the world with the 550 gram trigger