Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dan Wesson DWX: The Mother Thread

Mdooz

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m going to run a little bit of a hodgepodge in spirit of the DWX. Most likely those patriot defense grips that I posted cut down to fit the floyds magwell and henning basepads with 24+1 mbx spring/follower. The backup grip would be thin LOK’s with a silicone carbide treatment. 

On 6/18/2023 at 9:06 PM, eerw said:

DWX slide is stainless, so not necessary to refinish.

finishes like cerakote will dimension so make sure the optic still fits the cut after being done.

have found DLC wears at friction surfaces.

we (CZC) either leave unfinished per customer or send off for black nitride.

whoah really? this is news to me, you're 100% certain the DWX slide is stainless steel? This applies to the compact as well I assume?

If cerakote is done well, any concerns with the bushingless barrel? Just picked up my DWX and the fitment from the factory is tight.

11 hours ago, mynamejeff said:

whoah really? this is news to me, you're 100% certain the DWX slide is stainless steel? This applies to the compact as well I assume?

If cerakote is done well, any concerns with the bushingless barrel? Just picked up my DWX and the fitment from the factory is tight.

That quote was from Stuart.  If Stuart says it's stainless, It's Stainless.  I don't believe it's cerakote either.  I think it's a black nitride.    

1 hour ago, jripper said:

That quote was from Stuart.  If Stuart says it's stainless, It's Stainless.  I don't believe it's cerakote either.  I think it's a black nitride.    

Yeah I was just getting his opinion on it if I was to cerakote. Factory coating on the DWX is DLC actually. If it's stainless and there's no need to re-coat after cutting for an optic, that is awesome news.

Stonebridge gunworks site also says it's stainless, so it appears to be true. This solves a huge issue for me, I really didn't want to have to re-coat it after optics cut. I would think that both the Compact and full size DWX are made from the same steel. I'm sending both for cuts.

3 hours ago, mynamejeff said:

Yeah I was just getting his opinion on it if I was to cerakote. Factory coating on the DWX is DLC actually. If it's stainless and there's no need to re-coat after cutting for an optic, that is awesome news.

Stonebridge gunworks site also says it's stainless, so it appears to be true. This solves a huge issue for me, I really didn't want to have to re-coat it after optics cut. I would think that both the Compact and full size DWX are made from the same steel. I'm sending both for cuts.

Mine was not recoated after optic cut.  The SRO fits the cut snuggly and no steel is visible.  

On 6/15/2023 at 4:12 PM, ColoradoNick said:

It seems like you're one of the only guys on here really digging into the DWX. Where are you at with it now?

I enlarged the hole in the front of the slide for the fatter Legion rod.  Added a Lok TSO magwell and cleaned up the hammer hooks.  Tuned the sear spring for a 2.5# break.  Modified a flat bottom FP stop to fit.  Seems happiest with a 10# Wolff recoil spring and 19# mainspring.  Also, my carbide throating reamer arrived after 8 weeks.  Rounds plunk without issue now.  I sent it to Vulcan Machine Werks for RMR milling and Cerakote.  I normally black nitride, but I figured the slide is DLC over stainless and the cut is mostly sealed off by the optic.  Got a Lok TSO magwell and made a tungsten guide rod while I was waiting.  Mag well leaves a slight gap at the rear when lined up with the mag opening.  My 507Comps arrived this week too.

IMG_2447.JPG

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_3153.jpg

8 hours ago, earlan357 said:

I enlarged the hole in the front of the slide for the fatter Legion rod.  Added a Lok TSO magwell and cleaned up the hammer hooks.  Tuned the sear spring for a 2.5# break.  Modified a flat bottom FP stop to fit.  Seems happiest with a 10# Wolff recoil spring and 19# mainspring.  Also, my carbide throating reamer arrived after 8 weeks.  Rounds plunk without issue now.  I sent it to Vulcan Machine Werks for RMR milling and Cerakote.  I normally black nitride, but I figured the slide is DLC over stainless and the cut is mostly sealed off by the optic.  Got a Lok TSO magwell and made a tungsten guide rod while I was waiting.  Mag well leaves a slight gap at the rear when lined up with the mag opening.  My 507Comps arrived this week too.

IMG_2447.JPG

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_3153.jpg

How was th finish on the sear/hammer engagement? Did it need much clean up?

14 hours ago, earlan357 said:

IMG_2447.JPG

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_3153.jpg

i just put a floyds custom magwell on mine and fitment is very good. Once i cut my grips I’ll post a photo. What are your thoughts on the tungsten guide rod? 

25 minutes ago, ColoradoNick said:

i just put a floyds custom magwell on mine and fitment is very good. Once i cut my grips I’ll post a photo. What are your thoughts on the tungsten guide rod? 

I like the Floyds myself.  I have a W74 tungsten rod/stainless rod.  It only has a tungsten insert so it's like 1.5 ounces.  I haven't shot much side by side with stock yet, but I'll post when I do so.  

1 hour ago, jripper said:

I like the Floyds myself.  I have a W74 tungsten rod/stainless rod.  It only has a tungsten insert so it's like 1.5 ounces.  I haven't shot much side by side with stock yet, but I'll post when I do so.  

Sounds good! I’m thinking about picking that one up to use 1911 springs too.

Shot my first match with my optic mounted DWX.  Used the W74 tungsten rod with a 10 lb Cajun recoil spring, running 135 ish power factor 147 grain.  I have been shooting A01 sds for a while.  I have to say that the DWX is by far my favorite gun to shoot.  Very soft, good transitions, points well.  I need to trust myself.  I took several extra shots at the match, and I found 3 hits on the targets all but 1 time.  Very forgiving.  CZC did a great job with the trigger and the optic mounting.  

Like the Floyds magwell.  It worked pretty well with the short Lok Bogies.  It ran 100 percent, which is impressive as the range I was at had put sand in the bays to reduce ricochets.  I never cleaned a mag, and used the same 4 throughout the match.  I really like the A01s, but love the DWX.  I spent a lot of time on 1911s and 2011s in my youth, so this feels very natural, but with better reliability.  

When I was sighting it in, I was getting some pretty impressive groups too.  Next time I'm at the bench, I'll see if I can replicate them and take some pics. 

44 minutes ago, jripper said:

Shot my first match with my optic mounted DWX.  Used the W74 tungsten rod with a 10 lb Cajun recoil spring, running 135 ish power factor 147 grain.  I have been shooting A01 sds for a while.  I have to say that the DWX is by far my favorite gun to shoot.  Very soft, good transitions, points well.  I need to trust myself.  I took several extra shots at the match, and I found 3 hits on the targets all but 1 time.  Very forgiving.  CZC did a great job with the trigger and the optic mounting.  

Like the Floyds magwell.  It worked pretty well with the short Lok Bogies.  It ran 100 percent, which is impressive as the range I was at had put sand in the bays to reduce ricochets.  I never cleaned a mag, and used the same 4 throughout the match.  I really like the A01s, but love the DWX.  I spent a lot of time on 1911s and 2011s in my youth, so this feels very natural, but with better reliability.  

When I was sighting it in, I was getting some pretty impressive groups too.  Next time I'm at the bench, I'll see if I can replicate them and take some pics. 

good to hear! I’m hoping to have my slide this week. I’m contemplating returning my SRO for a new 507 comp after seeing one in person. I really liked the Green 8 moa ring with no dot. I have an 11lb recoil spring I’m going to try with mine before buying the tungsten guide rod. I’ll hopefully be shooting 124’s right around 130 if it chronos the same as my shadow.

I finally found and bought a DWX locally a couple days ago so I haven’t been keeping up with this thread. Without having to sift through 58 pages can anyone tell me if the front sight is a true Novak dovetail or some variation? Maybe the actual degrees of the cut. 

On 6/30/2023 at 1:05 AM, stater61 said:

I finally found and bought a DWX locally a couple days ago so I haven’t been keeping up with this thread. Without having to sift through 58 pages can anyone tell me if the front sight is a true Novak dovetail or some variation? Maybe the actual degrees of the cut. 

I replaced mine with a Novak cut Dawson.  Only took minimal fitting. 

Shot about 100 rounds through it yesterday with an 11lb flat wire recoil spring for a Glock. It still has the slightest muzzle dip looking at slo-mo footage. Does anyone know where I can get a 10lb spring that will work with the stock guide rod?

This thing is extremely accurate. 1 hole at 20 yards off a rest zero’ing the SRO. I also have a DWX short trigger coming to see if I can play with pre-travel. 

Edited by ColoradoNick

Fairly certain I'm going to pick up a DWX Friday when my work bonus finally hits my bank account. Probably going to immediately send it off for an optic cut at Impact Machine. Want to get it all set up for Limited Optics, so what's the consensus on magwell & mag extensions/springs? Thanks! 

18 minutes ago, moose97 said:

Fairly certain I'm going to pick up a DWX Friday when my work bonus finally hits my bank account. Probably going to immediately send it off for an optic cut at Impact Machine. Want to get it all set up for Limited Optics, so what's the consensus on magwell & mag extensions/springs? Thanks! 

There’s no way i would send it anywhere that requires you to cerakote the entire slide or wait 16 weeks. I don’t know what others did but the TS magwell from Floyd Customs fits perfectly on the gun and works great with Henning extensions. I used shadow 2 grips from Patriot Defense.

Edited by ColoradoNick