Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seems as though the hurricanes are following the refugees... :unsure:

Yesterday, Texas Children's Hospital activated its hurricane/severe weather plan and issued a disaster alert. At noon on Friday, anyone already at work, will be required to stay at work until they are released... most likely 24-48 hours.

Our already extremely busy and short-staffed Neonatal Intensive Care Unit sent out 3 transport teams (5 medical personnel each) to evacuate patients from UTMB in Galveston, TX. We had already received 6 patients by the time I left last night.

In the last major hurricane/disaster, Texas Children's Hospital and MD Anderson were the only hospitals in the Medical center that were able to maintain self-sufficiency. (so I've been told, I wasn't here then) and I will be at work during the storm. *whew*

For Jackson county, mandatory evacuation has been declared for the entire county.

For Matagorda county, mandatory evacuation for the southern two thirds of the county will be in effect at 6 pm.

For Galveston and Brazoria counties, voluntary evacuation is in progress. Mandatory evacuation of nursing homes and assisted-living facilities is underway. On Galveston island, buses will be available at the island community center on broadway after 10 am for persons with no other means of transportation. If there is no significant change of rita's track in the next 24 hours, a mandatory evacuation of Galveston and Brazoria counties is expected to begin at 6 pm today.

Voluntary evacuations are also in progress this evening for low lying areas of Chambers county, Harris county, and the cities of Houston, Seabrook and Baytown

Decisions concerning evacuations for other counties and communities will be made later today.

Many stores are already out of supplies and some gas stations have run out of gas.

So, I'll be in the Medical Center... how about everyone else? Where are you going? Do you need anything?

Any recommendations for those of us about to face this?

Edited by Sniper

FWIW, all the Austin area hotels are full. Austin City Limits Music Fest, Pecan St Festival plus Katrina refugees.. If anybody feels like getting chased inland by Rita (the forecast shows it going over Austin Saturday), let me know and I'll see what room the local shooters have.

IME gas cooking and a chainsaw are both extremely handy to have during major storms / power outages.

Edited by shred

Spoke with Benny earlier. Says he's stocking up on water & Ramen noodles and staying to guard his property. Says he's not in danger of flooding as he's on the high ground and that his buildings withstood winds from the last major with 160 mph sustained winds.

Hunker down Texas, My prayers are with you.

PS: If you own a boat, go fill it up with gas, then you can siphon the gas out later to put it in your car when there is none to buy. I ALWAYS do that before a hurricane!

Good luck.

Some suggestions from having dealt with Katrina.

1. Batteries

2. Visquine/tarp for roof in the event of damage (also line and bricks to hold down tarp.

3. Canned tuna, chicken, vienna sausage, etc. --manual can opener.

4, canned veggies

5. gas cans - preferably with gas

6. safety candles

7. water container

8. big 58+ quart cooler --two would be good

These were the things Walmart ran out of first.

Good Luck

Some suggestions from having dealt with Katrina.

1. Batteries

2. Visquine/tarp for roof in the event of damage (also line and bricks to hold down tarp.

3. Canned tuna, chicken, vienna sausage, etc. --manual can opener.

4, canned veggies

5. gas cans - preferably with gas

6. safety candles

7. water container

8. big 58+ quart cooler --two would be good

These were the things Walmart ran out of first.

Good Luck

don't foget drinking water!!

lynn

Guys we are going to 24 hr shifts starting Friday at Sprint. If that Hurricane doesn’t go north we will be hit head on!!!! :(:( Prayers go out to the entire coast! If any of you have family in the affected area of this Hurricane and can not locate them via telephone. Please PM me and I might be able to get communication into and out of the area. I am also part of the Ham radio group that works emergency (heath and welfare)

WM5S

It is absolutely surreal here in Houston. The mood in the air is very heavy. And it's near 100oF. I filled my SUV with gas yesterday, (good thing because it went up $0.20 overnight) and went to pick up a few more things from the store today. There wasn't any water, not even flavored. Absolutely no shape or form of canned tuna fish. I took one of the three jars left of peanut butter.

There have been MANY evacuations and multiple busses dispatched to aid the evacuees. Yesterday, medical planes, helicopters and ambulances began evacuating the compromised. It has been stated, "If you can get out, and you don't, WE WILL NOT COME BACK TO RESCUE YOU!"

I love Texas.

I've never been through anything like this before. It's quite scary. I'm not sure how much more of this emotional drama I can take.

Not surprisingly... Benny Hill is perfectly capable of speaking for himself on this forum... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27904

Good luck to everyone.

Edited by Sniper

Sniper - My RV park neighbors and good friends, adjusters Boyd and Karen Hollbrook have a daughter, a nurse, that works at Texas Children's Hospital. Don't remember her name. She will be there with you for the lockdown. All the rest of the town has left and you guys are staying to help. :wub: Way Kool....

don't foget drinking water!!

lynn

Lynn, haven't you been reading the forum posts? The water is in your hotwater heater.

Seriously, if during the storm your roof is damaged you will get the urge to try and climb up and remove debris or cover the hole -- don't. Wait unto the storm subsides. My down the street neighbor's stuff was flying over my house, the wind and the rain were pretty bad and tree parts were flying around. I could not see what was coming, and the storm hit me in the afternoon. You can fix your roof later, or replace stuff--you cannot replace your life. A vist from Merlin is better than a visit from the coroner. BE smart, BE safe.

Bill

Heard Rita was hitting Galveston, and the first thing that I could think of was what you were going to do Sniper. (Yeah...I still think about you every once in a while ;) )

You'll be fine, but we're praying for you.

God Bless.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

It is absolutely surreal here in Houston.  The mood in the air is very heavy.  And it's near 100oF.  I filled my SUV with gas yesterday, (good thing because it went up $0.20 overnight) and went to pick up a few more things from the store today.  There wasn't any water, not even flavored.  Absolutely no shape or form of canned tuna fish.  I took one of the three jars left of peanut butter.

There have been MANY evacuations and multiple busses dispatched to aid the evacuees.  Yesterday, medical planes, helicopters and ambulances began evacuating the compromised.  It has been stated, "If you can get out, and you don't, WE WILL NOT COME BACK TO RESCUE YOU!"

I love Texas.

I've never been through anything like this before.  It's quite scary.  I'm not sure how much more of this emotional drama I can take.

Not surprisingly... Benny Hill is perfectly capable of speaking for himself on this forum... http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27904

Good luck to everyone.

Sharyn, hang in there girl. We'll be thinking about you...

The highways from the east into Austin are becoming insane. I drove west from Austin to Smithville to work this morning. It took some of our folks over 5 hrs late last night to get from the med center in Houston to our research park here in Smithville (150miles). We're (MD Anderson) shutting down tomorrow as much as possible, and spending today backing up and packing up critical data, etc.

My mom is an oncology nurse in Bryan and they are all preparing for evacuated patients to be moved north to them. It looks like the projected storm track keeps moving east.

Hang in there this weekend Sniper! The med center learned a lot from the flooding a few years back, so all the generators are on higher ground, and the whole place should be better prepared.

Like Shred said, let us know if you need a place to stay, or if there's anything else we can do. Contact him and he can put you in touch with a lot of us in the Austin area. If you're thinking about heading this way, I'd recommend doing it soon, and maybe taking extra gas and a route other than the major interstate if you can.

Penny