Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what follower for SVI tubes

z40acp

With the new design SV Infinity tubes, what is the best TTI follower? Is the ultra thin reliable? They talk about tuning required, is this just for lock back? Thanks.

Grams guts. TTI 4g baseplate.

The ultra thin TTI follower wasn’t reliable in any of the new gen SV tubes I tried them in.

Grams guts are boringly reliable IME.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, candiru said:

Yes. All of them.

Passed equipment check at multiple USPSA majors.

Haven't seen a 4g pass on a new SV big stick yet.  In fact, I had to massage mine with 3g pads to get them to fit and even then it's still tight.

1 minute ago, theWacoKid said:

Haven't seen a 4g pass on a new SV big stick yet.  In fact, I had to massage mine with 3g pads to get them to fit and even then it's still tight.

Yea, I'm 99% that's not possible. 

If it is, it will take heavy modification to the tube/pad. 

20 minutes ago, theWacoKid said:

New style SV 140 tubes. Sorry, never said anything about 170's.

16 minutes ago, Edge40 said:

I use grams guts and tti 3 g pads.  I have 6 140 tubes and none of them will fit the gauge with the 4g pads. Not with any amount of fussing.

Old or new gen SV tubes?

I've only tested 15 new 140 tubes with TTI 4G & 4G2 base pads (all purchased over multiple years so definitely different batches/lots).  All of them fit the official mag gauge that I have.  Perhaps I've just been really lucky.

From the Shooter's Connection page, note that they say:

"The 4G2 fits the gauge with far more clearance than the 4G, while retaining the strength of the 4mm."

and

"The 4mm are sold as a may need to fit product. If you do not want to fit then do not buy the 4mm for 140mm mags in LIMITED and 170mm in OPEN. Due to variable tolerances of mag tubes these may not fit the guage without fitting."

I was going to try the TTI slim follower for my .40, but can't remember if it said on the page or I emailed about it and was told that the slim follower was only for 9mm, but the univeral would work in either. 

5 minutes ago, gnoyesiv said:

I was going to try the TTI slim follower for my .40, but can't remember if it said on the page or I emailed about it and was told that the slim follower was only for 9mm, but the univeral would work in either. 

Looks like the TTI page only talks about 9mm now.

19 hours ago, candiru said:

Old or new gen SV tubes?

I've only tested 15 new 140 tubes with TTI 4G & 4G2 base pads (all purchased over multiple years so definitely different batches/lots).  All of them fit the official mag gauge that I have.  Perhaps I've just been really lucky.

From the Shooter's Connection page, note that they say:

"The 4G2 fits the gauge with far more clearance than the 4G, while retaining the strength of the 4mm."

and

"The 4mm are sold as a may need to fit product. If you do not want to fit then do not buy the 4mm for 140mm mags in LIMITED and 170mm in OPEN. Due to variable tolerances of mag tubes these may not fit the guage without fitting."

The tubes are about 2 years old.

I have older .40 cal. SV tubes with Bolen followers and springs. They work great and hold more than the Grams. I am building a 9mm open gun and bought the new style SV tubes. I was hoping the TTI Ultra Thin followers would be like the old Bolen ones.