Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Entry Level Revolver Kit

Smitty79

I took a friend of mine and his two adult sons to the range last week.   I had 10 different handguns for them to try.    All are now interested in action shooting.   Dad wants to shoot Production.   Youngest son loved a dot gun and wants to do CO.   The oldest son loved shooting my S&W 625.

I can help Dad and one son with semiautos.   But I only have a 625 so that I can show newbies how a revolver works.   It's fun to shoot, but I don't have time to practice with it to get good and use it in ICORE.

What is a low cost entry level kit for USPSA revolver?   The 2 revolvers I see people use in USPSA are 627 and 929.   Always a performance center or other heavily smithed gun.  These things are near $1500.   Is there anything OK competitive that could be entry level price?   You can get a very nicely set up Production Glock for $800.  (I can't believe I said that.   I'm a CZ guy and spend way too much money)

I assume a standard USPSA belt is fine.   Is a basic Blade-Tech holster OK for starting and buy a race holster later?

What's the right clip rack for a 627 or 929?   I assume I can find a thread on what clips to use in here someplace when I get that far.

Is the 929 a better starter gun for a new guy on a budget?   Decent 9mm ammo is cheaper than 38 special and way cheaper than 38 Short Colt.

Taurus (yeah, I know, it's a Taurus) has a model 608 in 357 magnum for $540 on Cheaper than Dirt. If he enjoys shooting that, he can always move up at a later time. No sense in spending $1500 if he doesn't really even know if he will stick with it. As for revo holsters, Safariland makes a pretty good one, at a very reasonable price.

Since you’re local to me, I can suggest if your young wheelgunner wants to try competing, there’s ICORE every month at Albany ( except months with five Saturdays - like this one - when it’s up in Wolverton Mountain). In ICORE he could start in Classic with any decent 6 - shot. Just need Speed loaders (Safariland III’s are the best). You could probably get a used Smith for a little bit north of 500. But if he catches the bug, he’s going to want a Limited shooter 8-shot that takes moon clips. 929 is the lates hotness. I chose 627 because I already loaded .38. But went short colt. 

Cheapest point of entry would be a used 4 inch 627 Smith and Wesson. From there youll need to save a few dollars to make it competition worthy. As well as other gear. Belt rig, loading tools, etc.

5 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

Since you’re local to me, I can suggest if your young wheelgunner wants to try competing, there’s ICORE every month at Albany ( except months with five Saturdays - like this one - when it’s up in Wolverton Mountain). In ICORE he could start in Classic with any decent 6 - shot. Just need Speed loaders (Safariland III’s are the best). You could probably get a used Smith for a little bit north of 500. But if he catches the bug, he’s going to want a Limited shooter 8-shot that takes moon clips. 929 is the lates hotness. I chose 627 because I already loaded .38. But went short colt. 

He needs to shoot a match that his Production dad and CO brother shoot.   He’s going to borrow my PCC for a first match and go from there.   

8 minutes ago, Smitty79 said:

He needs to shoot a match that his Production dad and CO brother shoot.   He’s going to borrow my PCC for a first match and go from there.   

Well, I’m going to suggest that Revolver is not the division for a new shooter in USPSA. As you have discovered, it has a high price tag and shooting an 8 rounder in a high cap game is miserable if you don’t have stage planning skills. I d almost suggest he go with a second hand Glock for the first season until he gets some experience and can chat with wheelguners and see what they have. Also gives him some time to save up some dough.

36 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

Well, I’m going to suggest that Revolver is not the division for a new shooter in USPSA. As you have discovered, it has a high price tag and shooting an 8 rounder in a high cap game is miserable if you don’t have stage planning skills. I d almost suggest he go with a second hand Glock for the first season until he gets some experience and can chat with wheelguners and see what they have. Also gives him some time to save up some dough.

I need to see if I can talk him into this.

3 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

It depends on who you are shooting with.  I got started with a 6 shot revo and had lots of fun my first year.

On 8/4/2019 at 6:02 AM, Smitty79 said:

I took a friend of mine and his two adult sons to the range last week.   I had 10 different handguns for them to try.    All are now interested in action shooting.   Dad wants to shoot Production.   Youngest son loved a dot gun and wants to do CO.   The oldest son loved shooting my S&W 625.

I can help Dad and one son with semiautos.   But I only have a 625 so that I can show newbies how a revolver works.   It's fun to shoot, but I don't have time to practice with it to get good and use it in ICORE.

What is a low cost entry level kit for USPSA revolver?   The 2 revolvers I see people use in USPSA are 627 and 929.   Always a performance center or other heavily smithed gun.  These things are near $1500.   Is there anything OK competitive that could be entry level price?   You can get a very nicely set up Production Glock for $800.  (I can't believe I said that.   I'm a CZ guy and spend way too much money)

I assume a standard USPSA belt is fine.   Is a basic Blade-Tech holster OK for starting and buy a race holster later?

What's the right clip rack for a 627 or 929?   I assume I can find a thread on what clips to use in here someplace when I get that far.

Is the 929 a better starter gun for a new guy on a budget?   Decent 9mm ammo is cheaper than 38 special and way cheaper than 38 Short Colt.

The real answer to an entry revolver is,  Ask around if your local area has any Revo shooters there will be someone willing to loan out equipment so a new shooter can get started for only the cost of ammo or less. Heck ask around and you and may find that there are people with full Revo race rigs sitting a safe that you have never seen shoot Revo at a match, most of these wimps are pretty generous folks too.  

also you have a 625 if they dont mind the recoil of factory 45 or you can load them some minor 45 they will be just as competitive for a while using that. Loaded to minor it is probably actually a easier gun to learn on as the reloads are WAY easier. 

You mentioned you have a 625, do you reload for it?  Can he use your 625?  Also, if you reload for it, can you reload some minor ammo for him.  I shot a 625 for many years and really enjoyed it, I wouldn't necessarily claim it is a good entry level gun, but fun for sure.  

At an entry level, the biggest benefits of shooting a 625 IMO are:

1.  you only have to be able to count to 6, that may sound silly, but simplicity helps beginners, versus Prod and potentially SS minor, where reload points matter or you can get lost in the COF with your round count.  Keep in mind, he is a beginner, there will be a lot of standing reloads and he will know no different.  He will soon figure that out, and will want a 627/929.  Then he can start saving his money.

2.  you will get all your moonclips and brass back, yay!  if you do reload, have him help you are part of his learning curve.

I think it is awesome that someone is wanting to get started shooting revolver.  I sold my 625 many many years ago, it was a great gun.