Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI Primer Failure Mystery

xFatHeadx

So I'm new here, and new to reloading so please be gentle 😉

I have been reloading 40 s&w with CCI primers and have shot about 1000 rounds of with only 2 light strikes in my Glock with a lighter than factory striker spring. Meh.. 

But then I switched to 9mm for a friend, same primers and powder. Now firing from an M&P with factory springs and I'm getting 20% duds. The primers don't look like a light strike, they look well and truly struck. I can take those same "duds" and throw them in a Kahr and refiere them and they all go bang. No duds when firing the Kahr. 

Any ideas? Could the primers have gone bad? 

My guess is the primers are not seated properly with the anvil resting on the bottom of the primer pocket.

The first time the firing pin hits the primer the primer is being seated deep enough to fire the second time.

Below the primer should be seated with a slight primer crush with the anvil resting on the base of the primer pocket.

oiIRxun.jpg

High primers...

the variation and difference between the two guns is likely due to different firing pin lengths and or chamber lengths but either way if they go bang on the second firing it’s because they weren’t seated deep enough on the first.  A true dud won’t fire no matter how many times it’s struck

You’ll get the feeling of when they seat well and when you need to do a slight double pump of the handle to ensure that specific primer is seated.   And quite honestly I do a quick double push on almost all rounds to ensure they’re seated well.  I’ve also found CCI’s are slightly shorter and will generally look especially deep when seated correctly.  Just my experience 

Like others stated, the cause for the primer failure is usually primers not fully seated. But CCI primers are also one of the hardest primers out there, other than Wolf and other Russian primers. Next time you buy primers, go with Winchester primers which are about medium in primer hardness. Federal are the softest, and usually used by revolver shooters who have very light hammer pull weights. But being very soft, Federal primers also have a tendency to crush if not seated squarly in the primer pockect.

Edited by Postal Bob

I've been loading .357 using whatever small pistol primers. A while ago, I made a small batch of 9mm. I had CCI on hand then. Guess what..... Failures to fire. I found lots of primers that were not fully seated. I don't remember what brass I had but I'm pretty sure it was fired only once, while my .357 brass is getting a bit old.

Something a little different with 9mm brass?

Something different with new brass?

Machine holding 9mm brass differently?

Edited by perttime

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:11 PM, xFatHeadx said:

So I'm new here, and new to reloading so please be gentle 😉

I have been reloading 40 s&w with CCI primers and have shot about 1000 rounds of with only 2 light strikes in my Glock with a lighter than factory striker spring. Meh.. 

But then I switched to 9mm for a friend, same primers and powder. Now firing from an M&P with factory springs and I'm getting 20% duds. The primers don't look like a light strike, they look well and truly struck. I can take those same "duds" and throw them in a Kahr and refiere them and they all go bang. No duds when firing the Kahr. 

Any ideas? Could the primers have gone bad? 

Did you try re-firing any of those primers in your M&P? I'll accept the high primer comments that others have mentioned --- most likely culprit. And, they should have fired a second time in the M&P, since the first hit sent them deeper in the case. But... I also did have a striker spring on a M&P go bad after about 20,000 rounds. New spring fixed it. CCI primers are 'firm". I also prime with a hand primer. I have to check each case to make certain they are below flush, and sometimes it takes a second "grunt".

If you try them again in the M&P and they don't go bang, it could be a striker spring.