Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Charlies are fine, just don't miss"

That was the advice I was given in my first "official" IPSC match this weekend. I thought...how bad could a miss be? You just lose out on the 5 points you could have gotten for an alpha, right?

Well at the conclusion of the match (with 3 mikes), I found out that misses were actually penalised. I had thought you were only penalised for not attempting to shoot at a target. Just one of the many takeaways from my first match. I still came 10th out of 39 in my division, so I guess all those years of shooting experience helped somewhat.

That was the advice I was given in my first "official" IPSC match this weekend. I thought...how bad could a miss be? You just lose out on the 5 points you could have gotten for an alpha, right?

Well at the conclusion of the match (with 3 mikes), I found out that misses were actually penalised. I had thought you were only penalised for not attempting to shoot at a target. Just one of the many takeaways from my first match. I still came 10th out of 39 in my division, so I guess all those years of shooting experience helped somewhat.
Hit Factor, the scoring system, is Points divided by Time. Mikes are catastrophic. Aim enough to get alphas or close Charlie's

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

A miss works out to minus 15 points. 10 for the miss and 5 for the A you didn’t get. On a high point stage you might get buy with a miss if your time is fast enough to negate it. On a low point stage a miss will really hurt. On a 60 point stage 2 misses cost you half the available points, throw in a couple c’s and your pretty much screwed.

• 2 weeks later...

Particularly when you’re new, it’s pretty much always worth it to make up a suspected mike. Even if you have to run back a few steps and burn a couple of seconds to do it.

The faster you are and the higher the hit factor of the stage, the more they become questionable to make up... but new shooters don’t move nearly as fast as they think they are moving.

If in doubt, make ‘em up!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 2 weeks later...

You will reach a point where a Delta almost feels like a mike. Not from a points perspective but the point that you will only shoot them on accident and you will realize how close to a mike you were. Deltas are lucky misses.

Also, understand the point math on a field course. It is probably close to mike=3 seconds. Don’t make it up if it takes longer than 3 seconds. Like you already left or the makeup would cause you other timing issues.

This was some great advice. I haven't shot a USPSA match yet but I've done club matches and some 3 gun and always thought speed with a few misses was fine as it's all about speed right. Right?

Well I was wrong. After a few really fast stages with no shoots and misses ending up with 0 points, I finally realized it was better to slow down and get my hits.

• 2 months later...

i have only seen once locally that a master shooter took a miss on steel, because he figured that the speed he gained made it a wash, he showed me the math and his hit factor was pretty close to the same, but he said because of the no shoot behind it and where it was in the stage it was worth it. otherwise make the hits misses hurt bad.

I have the practice score app as well as the hit factor app.  Both are enjoyable to set up an array in practice and see how things compare in speed.  Playing the what if game after every match isn't much fun but figuring out how the hf scoring plays out is pretty handy.