Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newb seeking advice on buying open gun

Quirk

24 minutes ago, Quirk said:

How then do you 9 Major guys load and train? Do you load 165 PF for training ammo? Use range brass of unknown history, and load to 165, and re-use, or toss after one use? 

I was wondering if guys might not cheat and use slightly lower PF for training ammo...I dunno, something sightly or moderately south of 165 PF.....to spare the brass and such?

What about sanctioned matches, do you buy new Starline or such to ensure you don't have an issue during a match?

I shoot the same load for practice and matches.  It doesn't make sense to train with something different that you will shoot on match day.

I buy once fired, mixed headstamp brass from Ammobrass.  It is sized and deprimed, primer pocket swaged, push through sized, cleaned in SS media, dried and lightly waxed to prevent spots.  It's great.  Every loaded round drops right into and out of the chamber checker.  I would never buy new brass for any match, because this is just as good.  I do retrieve a lot of my practice brass and I will eventually reuse them.

9 hours ago, Quirk said:

Thanks all. Probably the most common sense would be to buy a used Czechmate since I know that platform thru shooting Shadows and 75s for years. Starting shooting that in minor since I load 9mm already. Then slowly edge into loading 9 major. Then see where it all takes me.

Quirk. Hear this with the understanding that I am on the downward curve in my competition expectations. Age mobility and eyesight are the controllers for me; not eqiupment. 

No one has suggested the Tanfo Gold Team yet, so I will. Under 2k, a few inexpensive shopping sprees with Patriot Defense, 9 or 38sc.  I chose 9 and made major safely with 7.5 AC 125g jhp. Had to load 1.150 to insure no interference inside the k-9 magazines, using Taylor Freelance and Henning base pads.  I suggest after a couple hundred rounds, inspect everywhere for suspicious wear. These are not great for good tolerances. No issues now.

14 hours ago, zzt said:

I shoot the same load for practice and matches. 

I buy once fired, mixed headstamp brass   I would never buy new brass for any match, because this is just as good.  I do retrieve a lot of my practice brass and I will eventually reuse them.

Sounds like you are very concerned (OP) re: loading 9mm to Major PF.

I also was concerned a decade ago when I started shooting 9mm Major -

I actually went to an Area Match (My first) with factory 9mm ammo.

That's how concerned I was.

Reading BE a decade ago, and talking to guys in the local club who

shot 9mm Major, and I quickly worked my way up to PF 150, and then

160 and then 170.   

No big trick to it.

According to a recent American Rifleman mag, there is a military round

that is very close to 9mm Major, and during WWII, much of the European

9mm ammo was at least PF 150.

No big sweat to load 9mm Major.

And, the brass lasts almost forever - you don't need to buy NEW brass,

at all, ever. Buy it used and fire it and leave it on the ground.  It's cheap

and easy.

Don't sweat loading and shooting 9mm Major.     :) 

16 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Sounds like you are very concerned (OP) re: loading 9mm to Major PF.

I also was concerned a decade ago when I started shooting 9mm Major -

I actually went to an Area Match (My first) with factory 9mm ammo.

That's how concerned I was.

Reading BE a decade ago, and talking to guys in the local club who

shot 9mm Major, and I quickly worked my way up to PF 150, and then

160 and then 170.   

No big trick to it.

According to a recent American Rifleman mag, there is a military round

that is very close to 9mm Major, and during WWII, much of the European

9mm ammo was at least PF 150.

No big sweat to load 9mm Major.

And, the brass lasts almost forever - you don't need to buy NEW brass,

at all, ever. Buy it used and fire it and leave it on the ground.  It's cheap

and easy.

Don't sweat loading and shooting 9mm Major.     :) 

Well said. Not much to 9major. Work up slow with a chrono  and watch for over pressure signs. Use the powders that are tried and true and not much to 9major. 

You’re in the pistol shooting capital of the world. 

Listen to ET!  

Come to TNS and talk with people. 

There are some great  pistolsmiths here. The Eddies are good.  CZC is good. There are a few others. 

A wise move move would be to PM ET. 

I would talk to Benny Hill and/or Dave Dawson regarding the pros and cons of 38 super vs 9 major. 38 super cases have a large rim for easier/better extraction vs a 9mm. Either one can build you an open gun or you can get a CZC in 9 major which is excellent and a little less expensive. The 9 major is not that hard to load- best is to use NATO 9 mm cases- stronger web. There are other excellent pistol smiths- prices vary depending.

Atlas makes an excellent open gun.  Frankly at the price you buy an open gun, any of them should run great.  As to loading 9 major it's no big deal.  I jus started reloading myself last year and am pretty comfortable doing it.  I cheated a good bit and asked Adam for a recipe and worked my way up to it.  Originally I went 9 major because I was shooting Atlanta Arms and that what they make.  The reloading adventure has been pretty fun so far and it's way cheaper than Atlanta arms.

• 2 weeks later...

Reloading 9 major really isn’t all that complicated. Chrono loads to get to your preferred PF. I run all once fired brass and just watch for stepped cases in the powder station on my Dillon.  Actually loading 9 major usually takes away the ability to double charge a round so 1 less thing that can go wrong. Normally in 9 major a double charge spills over and you have a mess!🤪

As for what to shoot, try asking around at your local match if guys will let you handle/shoot their guns.  Most guys will love to talk about their guns and what they like about it and what they would change.  In my open shooting I have owned  a stock Trubor, a customized Trubor, freedom gunworks full custom, 2 Czechmates and now an Atlas Chaos. The Trubor and freedom guns shot ok, but really didn’t feel good in my hand.  I then shot the czechmates for 3-4 years and liked them a lot.  Had to send my big sticks to Grams to be tuned, but ran 100% after that. Then I handled an Atlas Chaos and love how it fits my hand with the PT evo grip with a large hands magwell.  Can’t say enough about Atlas and their guns. 

Again biggest suggestion I can give is to handle as many different setups before you decide.  CZ feels different then an sti with a plastic grip, feels different then a custom gun with an aluminum grip, feels different then a steel gripped gun, feels different with a large hands magwell...etc etc.  you get the idea!

@kitestir as a CZ (TSO/TS/SPO1) fan and recent member of the 2011 limited club, your comments are resonate with me.  I'm still working to determine if I like the CZ or 2011 platform better, however there is a noticeable difference between the two. 

BTW, if your CZ CMs or 2011 Trubor are a burden weighing you down, send me an IM and I may be able to help you out :)

5 minutes ago, muncie21 said:

@kitestir as a CZ (TSO/TS/SPO1) fan and recent member of the 2011 limited club, your comments are resonate with me.  I'm still working to determine if I like the CZ or 2011 platform better, however there is a noticeable difference between the two. 

BTW, if your CZ CMs or 2011 Trubor are a burden weighing you down, send me an IM and I may be able to help you out :)

Too late they are gone.....  🤪

On 8/14/2019 at 10:21 PM, RawTime said:

If you are in Phoenix. I would hands down go to Eddie Garcia. His guns just run. And he is in town. They are great shooters and he is a stand up dude

I’m local to Phoenix and hit up Eddie. He quoted me 18 months to build an open gun. I love supporting the local guys but just couldn’t stomach the wait time. There’s a good number of people here shooting his guns and they all run great. Wish I could have given him my business. 

5 hours ago, Silent said:

I’m local to Phoenix and hit up Eddie. He quoted me 18 months to build an open gun. I love supporting the local guys but just couldn’t stomach the wait time. There’s a good number of people here shooting his guns and they all run great. Wish I could have given him my business. 

Ah that’s is a bummer man but I totally get it. I am the same. Especially dropping so much coin. Good luck