Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mike on the FIRST stage!

nikdanja

I pride myself on shooting the past 3 matches clean but I was leaving a platform and smoked the hardcover as I was leaving. I saw it and kept going cause it would have been to much to get my fat ass back on a wobbly platform to take a accurate shot. 

I tried my hardest to block it out and just shoot my sights but I shot 2 more!  These were On different stages after I tried to block the first out of my mind!

Better mental conditioning is what I gathered from this past Sunday and how to prepare for a first stage MIKE!

Don’t let it ruin your day!  Shoot when your sights are telling you to and throw a makeup at anything that’s not acceptable. 

Edited by nikdanja

Changed platforms last sunday, and on the 1st stage had "4" mikes.  Thought I was seeing the FS, but tried DT's at too far a range with a too light RS making shots go high.  Knew it could've been an issue.  The very next stage, after changing the RS and taking a deep breath, smoked the entire field in of all things the Classifier.

Rest of the day was kind of up and down.  Even forgot to make a planned reload on a stage!!!! And it cost me time, One of the things I have trouble with in Limited is "not" reloading every time I move.  And that leads to occassionally forgetting, or missing, a planned reload.  Saw Travis Tomasie do the same thing at an Area match one year though, so I'm in good company.

I walked by 2 targets on the first stage on Tuesday.....2 FTE and 4 mikes   HF  0.00000

when I dropped my final mag I planned to have 1 bullet left, it had 5.....I knew I was screwed.

Than to make matters worse I picked the mag up and put it directly into my belt, yeah you can see what's coming right?

Next stage final mag I need to finnish 1 - 2, 1 - 2, 1 - 2, 1 - 2 .

I finish 1 - 2, 1 - 2, 1 -click...…… 1 FTE 3 mikes Well my head was not where it belonged for sure. 

I was safe, no one got hurt, except the little pride I could muster up and on then the final stage I double miked a swinger. the good news I engaged it I just whiffed.

Throw out that day but man being mental strong is important. Shooting this weekend and I will do much better. 

If you are finished unload and show clear...………………...

RCG

On 6/18/2019 at 6:55 AM, nikdanja said:

I pride myself on shooting the past 3 matches clean but I was leaving a platform and smoked the hardcover as I was leaving. I saw it and kept going cause it would have been to much to get my fat ass back on a wobbly platform to take a accurate shot. 

I tried my hardest to block it out and just shoot my sights but I shot 2 more!  These were On different stages after I tried to block the first out of my mind!

Better mental conditioning is what I gathered from this past Sunday and how to prepare for a first stage MIKE!

Don’t let it ruin your day!  Shoot when your sights are telling you to and throw a makeup at anything that’s not acceptable. 

Ok. So, Ill tell ya that aint even that bad. I rarely make mistakes anymore thankfully. But i do. Mostly its just small stuff now

Heres my past weekends experience. So last minute decided to drive to Florida for the sectional. Drive down Friday. Got in later than i wanted to. 

First stage weent ok. Had one mike. I was like well eff. Thats not a good way to start. But i shook it off. 3rd stage my bullet ricochets off a steel popper and hits a spray paint can and all hell breaks lose. Shooting the can like a rocket while simultaneously spraying white paint all over the place. I subsequently have a miss on the array just afterwards.
This basically set the tone for the rest of the match. 
Had a few malfunctions with my open gun which Ive never had before. 
First one was a failure to feed. I finally just dropped the mag entirely jammed another mag in the gun and finished the stage. 
Retrieved mag. To find a 1.10” OAL round sitting on top so I thought that was the explanation for failure to feed. I usually load a lot longer than that for open. 

I even had a magazine drop out of my gun while shooting which has never happened either. 
Then the rain. Pouring. They Start bagging targets. I’m getting pissed because I think the RO’s are just calling s#!t without looking too close. Call a few mikes. Pasters are falling off targets. Wont even stick. Im just getting more and more fed up.
I have a few Mikes. No shoots. s#!tty squad. One dude didn't paste or reset the entire time. 
I notice my mount and *thumb rest [generic]* was lose. Go to a safe table to tighten it back down. Break the bit off. Have to pull it with pliers. My comp is lose. No big deal cause it can't go anywhere with the dust cover. But still annoying
I mean just endless. Literally maybe shot 2 stages fairly clean. And the rest was s#!t. Haven't had a match that bad for years. 
Then I get a speeding ticket on the way back. The cop claimed my tint was illegal. Checked it with a meter and it was legal. Then proceeds to write me a written warning for my tint! haha! He writes me a ticket for 89 in a 70 as well. 
Then I tell the guy that rode with he has to pay me ASAP so I can pay for my ticket. We stop at the gas station. He pulls money out of the atm. Put the cash in my ridge wallet and it snaps the money clip off. 

So it turned out to be a pretty expensive weekend haha! Honestly it was such an epic fail this weekend i had to just laugh about it. I got all my bad karma out for the year it seems like! 

Edited by devilsdenguns

• 3 weeks later...

Shot a local match a couple weeks ago and managed an amazing start consisting of of 3 mikes and 2 no shoots.  Needless to say i was not happy and while i was reloading mags, i gave myself a stern talking to.  Managed to refocus and pull through with a division win and top 5 overall match standing.  

I shot a match this past Sunday. Of course the first stage our squad gets on us the classifier (currently Limited unclassified) and this was my 3rd classifier on my way to initial classification. Random draw, and yup, I’m the first shooter.  Classifier 09-02, Virginia count, 4 targets covered with no shoots. Turned and shot the stage left to right. 2 alphas, 2 alphas, alpha mike, alpha mike no shoot for trying to speed up the during the last two targets. Definitely not the way I wanted to start the day. 

Rest of the day, I had a few no shoots on some distance shots that were about 1/2” on the white, along with a couple more mikes for splitting the wood around the window on my final target. In the end, my speed and movement was pretty good, but those mikes and no shoots killed my overall score. Learn something new every match and I know what I have to work on before my next match. 

• 1 month later...

I had a wild hair recently to change things up and shoot CO instead of limited... Hadn't had the red dot outta the safe in 9+ months and the guys I regularly squad with were egging me onto a CO "looser buys the adult beverages after match". What a disaster/challenge... First stage had a plate rack at a fair distance and I was all over the map hunting for hits, I finished the stage and my time was screwed. Walked back to my bag wondering WTF? How could this be so hard? "The red dot is supposed to make it easier..."  and "oh $#%!, I hope I brought enough money for after the match". After calming down, I came to the realization I had brought the wrong reloads for this gun and that the dot wasn't calibrated for the bullets. Made it through the match by watching every hole I poked and adjusting my aim accordingly... Talk about having to keep your head in the game! Net result was a couple Mike's and a NS, but I didn't have to buy!😅

I know this feel. Had an absolute train wreck of a sequence where I plugged the hard cover, on the second shot, had already fired a shot at the next target before my brain realized what happened, decided to go back and make up the hard cover mike, instead of coming back to the next target for the second shot I went to the 3rd target and fired my first shot before realizing I hadn't shot twice on the 2nd target, went back to TGT2,......awful, awful execution. Some stages just suck. 

well.. the way I look at it - if you aren't throwing a mike per match you are going too slow. so when Mike comes to visit on the first stage.. well thats just my quota for the match. nothing to see here - move on.

the only time it bothers me is when its a full target and I swear i was on target and saw the sights lift on target .. I sometime think my eyes cant keep up.

11 hours ago, IPSCLUVERRR said:

Does anyone else do the match before theyshoot the stage and calculate what the hf should be?

If you mean the math, yes I do and it does help, especially if there are differences like HF 4 or HF 8, totally two different ways of shooting it.

HF 4 > More accurate (4 points per second), take more time to aim

HF 8 > Less accurate, take more risks in terms of splits, shooting while moving, and similar stuff. This would work even better in Major 

Champions do that math