Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPX gas parts - soaking solvent recommendation?

I have a few sets of gas plugs and pistons that I rotate. Here's my cleaning procedure after each practice and match:

- remove dirty plug and piston

- wipe/light scrub

- dunk into solvent for soaking overnight

- more scrubbing

- ultrasonic bath (I use Simple Green Purple with distilled water)

- more scrubbing

I've been using PB Blaster for the overnight soaking solution and it works... ehh... just ok. 

What would you guys recommend for a pre-ultrasonic, soaking solution that'll melt that carbon out? 

TIA!

Edited by SergioSF

I have 2 plugs/tappets I rotate through on mine as well. I used Simple Green heavy duty (it's purple) 1:4 parts water in an ultra sonic cleaner for 10 minutes. Then I dry them off with a paper towel, spray them with compressed air, spray them with clp and wipe them off again. That's it.

28 minutes ago, open17 said:

Try Simple Green.  Full strength or 1:1.  Works better warm.    I had some carbon remover from brownells that worked OK--kind of milky with a strong

citrus smell.   Some of the Orange citrus cleaner (same isle as the Simple Green) might be worth a try.

This cuts the carbon for you?

Interesting! I'll give it a try.

3 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

I have 2 plugs/tappets I rotate through on mine as well. I used Simple Green heavy duty (it's purple) 1:4 parts water in an ultra sonic cleaner for 10 minutes. Then I dry them off with a paper towel, spray them with compressed air, spray them with clp and wipe them off again. That's it.

That's exactly the solution I use in my Ultrasonic too. Unfortunately, it's not enough to get the rings de-carbonized and spinning freely. I've even gone 30-60 mins with heat too, and it's not enough. Pre-soaking with PB Blaster has helped, but was hoping for a stronger, better carbon cutter.

I have used oven cleaner in the yellow can. It works well in dissolving the carbon buildup but it has a very strong smell. I have to use a mask even while working outside. I have to use a pair of rubber gloves too. The blue can doesn’t have a strong smell but it’s not as effective compared to the yellow can.

The oven cleaner in the yellow can will even remove powder coat from metals. That’s how strong it is.

What bullet/powder combo do you use? I have found Sport Pistol and PD JHP's are the cleanest combo.

I use simple green 4:1 in a heated ultrasonic for 50 minutes every 1000 rounds. then soak them down with Weaponshield and put in a bag for next time. When I take them out to use them, I clean with Brakeclean before installing. 

I soak mine in Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover for 30-60 minutes then just brush them off with brass brush. Works fine for me though I do it after  3-500 rounds max (basically a practice session and a match). Also, I do not put any lubrication on them - per instruction manual.

Edited by HalRex
additional info
15 hours ago, George16 said:

I have used oven cleaner in the yellow can. It works well in dissolving the carbon buildup but it has a very strong smell. I have to use a mask even while working outside. I have to use a pair of rubber gloves too. The blue can doesn’t have a strong smell but it’s not as effective compared to the yellow can.

The oven cleaner in the yellow can will even remove powder coat from metals. That’s how strong it is.

That sounds pretty strong. I'll give this a try too. Thanks!

4 hours ago, jlo86cj said:

What bullet/powder combo do you use? I have found Sport Pistol and PD JHP's are the cleanest combo.

I use simple green 4:1 in a heated ultrasonic for 50 minutes every 1000 rounds. then soak them down with Weaponshield and put in a bag for next time. When I take them out to use them, I clean with Brakeclean before installing. 

I shoot Federal Syntech. It's cleaner than any other brand I've used.  

You mentioned using brake cleaner. That sounds like it would work well for de-carbonizing before they go into the ultrasonic. 

16 hours ago, rowdyb said:

well i clean mine every 500 rounds at the max....

and yes i use heat with mine as well in the us cleaner.

Me too. 300-500 rounds (one practice + one match)

And my ammo isn't particularly dirty - I use Federal Syntech. 

2 hours ago, HalRex said:

I soak mine in Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover for 30-60 minutes then just brush them off with brass brush. Works fine for me though I do it after  3-500 rounds max (basically a practice session and a match). Also, I do not put any lubrication on them - per instruction manual.

I'll check that out. Thank you!

While looking for Bore Tech C4, I came across a product called Slip 2000 Carbon Killer. Anyone try this? Does it work well?

On 6/13/2019 at 8:12 AM, jlo86cj said:

Exactly what I use-

19 hours ago, SergioSF said:

I'll check that out. Thank you!

While looking for Bore Tech C4, I came across a product called Slip 2000 Carbon Killer. Anyone try this? Does it work well?

Myself and another also use the slip 2000- let the parts soak overnight- then brush with a brass brush.

I clean the piston and gas plug every 500 or so rounds as well.  I use an ultra sonic and slip 2000 but usually end up scraping the carbon off with a pocket knife after the bath.  The rings on the piston usually come clean after 30 minutes in the ultra sonic but the gas plug ring has been my real problem.  Has anyone discovered a simple way to peel that ring off the gas plug?  Getting it back on is easy its just getting it off is the tricky part.

45 minutes ago, zdog said:

I clean the piston and gas plug every 500 or so rounds as well.  I use an ultra sonic and slip 2000 but usually end up scraping the carbon off with a pocket knife after the bath.  The rings on the piston usually come clean after 30 minutes in the ultra sonic but the gas plug ring has been my real problem.  Has anyone discovered a simple way to peel that ring off the gas plug?  Getting it back on is easy its just getting it off is the tricky part.

That is a Mcfarland AR15 gas ring.... designed as a 1 use ring...

2 minutes ago, 2011BLDR said:

That is a Mcfarland AR15 gas ring.... designed as a 1 use ring...

Well.....I guess I will have to try some of the other cleaning methods mentioned here cause just slick 2000 and a ultra sonic ain’t getting the job done.

thanks

My carbon build up has been reduced by 80% since I changed over to restricted gas plugs.. 5 min wipe off with alachol every 600 or so rounds (1 -2weeks of matches)  ... deeper cleaning once a month... Attack the carbon build up In the comp and gas plug expansion chamber once a quarter.. Sig has over gased the gun in response to people trying to run low velocity / fast burn rate powder loads... System was engineered for NATO Spec/ +p ammo (150-163 PF) that ammo reaches 100% burn in the original 13.7" barrels..

3 hours ago, 2011BLDR said:

My carbon build up has been reduced by 80% since I changed over to restricted gas plugs.. 5 min wipe off with alachol every 600 or so rounds (1 -2weeks of matches)  ... deeper cleaning once a month... Attack the carbon build up In the comp and gas plug expansion chamber once a quarter.. Sig has over gased the gun in response to people trying to run low velocity / fast burn rate powder loads... System was engineered for NATO Spec/ +p ammo (150-163 PF) that ammo reaches 100% burn in the original 13.7" barrels..

I agree. I can actually tell the difference now that I had both the restricted and open gas plugs. Carbon build up was night and day. Oh well, sig got to appease its customers or else.......

The performance range of 9MM ammo  is very wide, just like .223/5.56mm... you can't really expect one setup to be optimal across the whole range, if I set the gun up to run speer 115 gr tmj @1400 fps and fed XM9001 115gr jhp@ 1420 fps I shouldn't be surprised that it doesn't run federal 150 gr syntec @ 920fps well...same as an AR if I set up for MK262 77gr 5.56mm , I shouldn't expect it to run well on PMC 55gr .223....

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on a way to get the baked on powder residue removed from my open gas plug on my 14.5 inch ILWT barrel.  After 450 rounds using W231 powder the rings are totally locked onto the gas plug.  There is no way that I have found to get the carbon out without removing the Mcfarland ring and scraping the carbon off.  I filed down a small flat tip screw driver to fit in the grove and just start scraping.  I bought some mcfarland rings from ILWT to use if I new a new one to put in.  I guess I will try and find a cleaner powder.  If you can’t spin the mcfarland ring your plug is not clean.

Am I missing something here?  I did see where one poster says his fowling on the gas plug decreased when he went to a closed gas plug.  Seems like a step back.

Pre-US soaking, I drop them in a small glass jar (Starbucks Crappachino jar) filled with PB Blaster.  Let soak for a day or 2, maybe 3, longer if I forget.  Pick clean if needed, but usually not.  Then into the US cleaner, with a 1:1 solution of Simply Green.   Blow dry, good to go. 

27 minutes ago, zdog said:

I have been working on a way to get the baked on powder residue removed from my open gas plug on my 14.5 inch ILWT barrel.  After 450 rounds using W231 powder the rings are totally locked onto the gas plug.  There is no way that I have found to get the carbon out without removing the Mcfarland ring and scraping the carbon off.  I filed down a small flat tip screw driver to fit in the grove and just start scraping.  I bought some mcfarland rings from ILWT to use if I new a new one to put in.  I guess I will try and find a cleaner powder.  If you can’t spin the mcfarland ring your plug is not clean.

Am I missing something here?  I did see where one poster says his fowling on the gas plug decreased when he went to a closed gas plug.  Seems like a step back.

Right, if the rings don't spin, it's not clean and is a prelude to malfunctions. 

Mine is the same as yours... maybe a hundred rounds more before they are totally caked and locked up. Which is why I have several sets of plugs and they soak in PB Blaster for a few days before an hour in the ultrasonic. I was looking for a better soaking solvent (instead of PB Blaster) hence this thread. 

If I understand the plugs correctly, the small size plugs allow more of the gas to vent out with less obstruction. Perhaps that's enough force/heat to keep 'em cleaner?