Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

625 JM

Drillbit

Thanks for the replies.

Seems your all shooting coated bullets, I was interested in regular cast with no coatings.  Why?  Because I have the molds and a lot of lead.

Anyone shot naked lead and experienced leading?

I have two 625 PC's the first one leaded badly starting at the cone . The cone is longer than the 625 JM because of the shorter cylinder but the 2nd 625 PC doesn't lead at all . I ended up just using jacketed Zero bullets in the first one to keep from having to continually fight the lead buildup .  

I've had some success with shooting jacketed loads at factory velocity to " season" the bbl.

Then they seem to be more tolerant of lead loads, properly sized bullets.

Brownells also sells barrel lapping compound.  I've used it with mixed results.  The times I didn't  get good results probably needed much more aggressive and prolonged treatments.

It may well be worth the efforts.

I've seen where some of the earlier models, I think they were 25's though, that had shallow rifling that had issues with lead.

Another issue is who uses cast lead bullets anymore?  And coated bullets from Bayou, ACME and others don't lead, cleaner to load, as cheap and as accurate.

If you are casting them yourself make sure you use a good lube, and Bayou will even sell the moly coating I believe.

I quit casting as the time/cost formula's were virtually equal to those listed above.  I do see a savings in loading my own ammo, though 9mm is getting close and 223 is .02 per round cheaper than I can load, but I'd rather load the ammo or especially shoot than cast bullets!

Brownells also sells barrel lapping compound.  I've used it with mixed results.  The times I didn't  get good results probably needed much more aggressive and prolonged treatments.

It may well be worth the efforts.

I've seen where some of the earlier models, I think they were 25's though, that had shallow rifling that had issues with lead.

Another issue is who uses cast lead bullets anymore?  And coated bullets from Bayou, ACME and others don't lead, cleaner to load, as cheap and as accurate.

If you are casting them yourself make sure you use a good lube, and Bayou will even sell the moly coating I believe.

I quit casting as the time/cost formula's were virtually equal to those listed above.  I do see a savings in loading my own ammo, though 9mm is getting close and 223 is .02 per round cheaper than I can load, but I'd rather load the ammo or especially shoot than cast bullets!

The coating sold by Bayou isn't moly, it seems closer to power coat.

11 hours ago, PatJones said:

The coating sold by Bayou isn't moly, it seems closer to power coat.

You are correct, I think it's called a Poly Coating instead of the older Moly Coating.  Mind and fingers confused M and P?

The throats on my new 625 PC are a very tight .451.

A slug run through the bore won’t make it through the throats. Not a good setup for shooting cast.

The cylinder is off getting its throats honed to .4525.

Well, I cast some bullets, lubed and sized them, took them out and shot them.   Ran 12 moons thru it and it looks like I'll be ok. Some traces of lead but nothing extreme. 

I haven't cast bullets for 40 years, I forget what a mess the lubing part is especially with bevel base bullets  . I'm liking the powder coat idea more and more. 

I mounted a red dot to test for accuracy and was pleasantly surprised with the results.  Two inches at 20 yards...... works for me.  Looking down the bore, the rifling looks almost non existent, I'm surprised it shot so well.  

20 hours ago, old558 said:

Yes try powder coating it's very easy and much faster. Check out Cast Boolits forum, its very helpfull

Bayou used to sell the coating they used, and it works very well.