Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 trigger options?

rtr

2 hours ago, jpm2953 said:

No one seems to run the Apex parts. Is the GG kit that much better?

I had an Apex in my X5 and it brought my pull weight from 4.5 lbs to like 5.5 lbs so I wasn't thrilled. Not mentioned I had ordered the model that isn't suppose to increase the pull weight. I did like the over travel stop that comes with it so I just ordered one and sold the whole kit.

Been thinking of getting the GG but I keep seeing this Burke one everything here has mentioned....there's just that $120 vs $300 thing.

Edited by mellino19

FWIW

IF you're going to use the gun in slow fire maybe the Burke is better.

Most of us tend to slap our triggers and don't ride the reset since it's so much slower than getting off the trigger and back on it as quickly as possible.

Yeah we all like the sweet triggers when we're sitting in the living room BUT most of us won't shoot the difference

doing live fire drills.  At least myself and the guys that I shoot with don't.

Again FWIW

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the Gray Guns trigger in my X5 and it is a marked improvement from stock BUT the break in mine is "rolling" not "crisp." I don't know if that is normal or mine is an outlier.

Maybe my Rich Dettlehouser XD trigger spoiled me... 4 lbs, very very crisp.

Any idea how long the wait is on the GG comp trigger kit?

When I was looking to order I put my email on notification list. I got the notification they were in stock a week or so later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@m700 I'm handy but not a whizkid and I got the GG trigger installed in under two hours (and that was with some self-induced issues). I could probably do it again in under 45 minutes now that I've done it once.

I had to grind one side of the trigger stop pin (I believe that is what it is called) in order to remove it from the chassis as it was swaged in place. I have heard that the pin just fell out even without tapping it out in the past.

Apart from that, it was an easy job. While you are at it, polish certain contact points and surfaces with a Dremel.

The turnaround to have Robert Burke do your trigger is only about 2 weeks, and very much worth it. I have had GGI do a P226 - awesome job, but took 4 months. Mr Burke has done my P229 Legion, P320 and P320 X5, and just as wonderful to my noob hand, and much quicker. 

Important to me, as while GGI had the P226 for so long, I got bored and bought 2 other pistols to amuse me - I can't afford to keep doing that !

Burke has done both my P320 and P320 X5, and I do not own a P320 with a GGI kit, so I can't compare for sure. I have felt a GGI gun briefly and liked mine better, but that may have just been I was familiar with mine. 

I don't think you can go too wrong - ask guys at matches what they have and see if you can get a feel. I will let you shoot mine if you ever in Kansas, or hit USPSA matches in the midwest

• 3 weeks later...

A friend and I recently got P320"s (non X series) and got one each of the kits (GG & Apex); I installed both and my thoughts are: The Apex does a better job with lessening the takeup (short as a 1911), shorter travel to the break, and less overtravel thanks to their own trigger bar vs the GG utilizing the OEM. As far as pull weight reduction the GG kit does a better job vs the Apex as its firing control parts and lighter springing create less resistance to the geometry. I myself prefer the minimal movement of the Apex but wanted the better pull weight reduction of the GG as well. So rather than you spend $260 for both kits to combine them a compromise is run the Apex Kit and a GG reduced trigger bar return spring. The trigger bar return spring reduced pull weight by 8-10 oz. by itself. This combo wont reduce it as much as the full GG kit but it isn't far off with the added advantages of a "faster" trigger.

You can get just the GG return springs individually at Shooters Connection. Of course comparing either drop in kit to the attention of a custom trigger job is no contest.   

• 3 weeks later...

I am a Sig Armorer and personally own two P320 XFives. As part of my Action Enhancement work, I’ve done one thing to retain a crisper trigger after installing a GG Competition Kit, and I have two additional interesting tests to conduct related to this during next month or so. 

1) I installed the stiffest OEM Sig trigger bar spring (TBS) I had in my inventory with all of the other components present in the GG Competition Kit.  Trigger pull in this configuration is 2 lbs 7 oz.  Both the break and reset are good. I say “good” because I am shooting VERY well with this configuration, but if I had my druthers, I’d like both just a little bit crisper.  

Note 1A: I went back to the Sig TBS because with the entire GG kit installed, including the reduced power TBS, my trigger pull was 2 lbs 1 oz and both the trigger break and reset were too soft and not distinct/crisp enough for me. 

Note 1B:  My measured pull force is the result of measuring 10-20 pulls with my digital gauge exactly where the center of my finger is positioned on the trigger and pulling the trigger with my electronic gauge at the speed my finger moves during live fire, to the best of my ability. I do both of those during my tests because both variables significantly affect the measured pull force and I need my measurements to be as close to what they are in live fire as possible.

2) I am going to remove one or both of the lower strength GG sear springs and reinstall one or both of the OEM Sig sear springs. 

3) I am going to reinstall the OEM SIG sear.  It will be very interesting to see how this works out because GG states that they have changed the dimensions of their sear where it interacts with the striker to improve release and thereby improve the action of the trigger system. 

@BallisticianX thank you for sharing your experience with the Apex kit in the P320.  Are you familiar with the performance of the Apex Competition Kit in the S&W M&P M2.0?  It makes the trigger action of that pistol just like the SA of my DA SA pistols that I have Competition tuned (I’m also a hammer fired SIG, CZ and S&W M&P Armorer).  I ask because if you say the Apex kit in the P320 produces the same result as the Apex kit does in the M&P 2.0, that may very well be the ultimate trigger action I envision. I know exactly what I want and all my work is geared toward achieving it. I understand  how the reduced power TBS can contribute to reducing the Trigger pull force. Since I already have one GG kit installed and another ready to install, I am going to place a Want Ad for an Apex kit that someone wants to sell, conduct different trials with it alone, conduct trials with it paired with some other parts and then compare the results obtained with all the aforementioned trials to the results obtained with the GG kit. I recorded all the detailed measurements I took as I went from stock to an installed GG Competition Kit. I will do the same constantly throughout my upcoming trials listed above. When I do action enhancement work for others, some want a complete upgrade and that’s that. Some want data as I progress through the enhancement process, and elect to stop at a certain point when I’ve achieved what they want. Some even ask me to progress, then go back a step or two when they see the numbers to get back to what they want. Again, the process is all geared to getting the pistol in the sweet spot they desire.  At the end of the process, I provide their before and after measurements. Finally, as you note above, drop in parts make substantial improvements.  Action tuning and careful, targeted polishing by an experienced Armorer maximizes the improvement possible, taking it the rest of the way home. 

Edited by DCSigCZ

• 3 years later...
6 hours ago, Dfehr401 said:

Has anything changed since '19?  I gone 2 seasons with the stock moosh.  Im looking for crispy quick trigger.  

IMO, it doesn't get any better than this!

https://www.thesigarmorer.com/product/the-sig-armorer-p320-competition-level-kit-with-cradle-trigger/

Robert will do the complete Competition job or you can buy the parts and DYI.

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
update