Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Managers

Paul B

Just noticed on the IPSC G.V. board that Adam Tyc mentioned several times that he deferred to his "manager." Just how prevalent is this in USPSA or IPSC? I suppose it would be inevitable with corporate money being involved, but the concept bothers me. Maybe I'm just old school but are we getting that sophisticated?

Yeah, at the WS, if you had a problem, the first thing you'd do is call for your regional and/or team representative. They can get you out of questionable DQ's, into the good bars, find ammo and other assorted assistance. Especially helpful if you don't speak the local lingo so well. Even the US had one (Amidon), but some of the other teams were much better organized in that regard and had real team managers, dress codes (the Venezuelans had like six different shirt color combos and all showed up in the same color-du-jour shirt each day) and so on.

Some top shooters also have individual "managers"-- Grauffel very often has his dad along as 'manager'. Some of the others do too.

If you're a sponsor splashing out some large $ on a team, it makes sense to have somebody riding herd on it. In the US, lots of time that's one of the shooters. Other places it's often a non-shooter.

Heck, a real 'manager' for the US contingent at WSXIV might have come in very handy, what with travel, permits, ammo and all, instead of the largely 'fend for yourself' attitude we're used to. James might have known to dress up, and Eric might have known in advance about the terrible Ecuadorian washcloth shortage.

I think most of the Juniors travelled with their dad, mom, or another adult since, depending on the state or country, many of them are too young to possess the handguns they compete with. Thus, it appears every Junior had a "manager" in tow. I agree w/ Matt.

My shooting manager is me. While sometimes he doesn't do all the crap I'd like him to, in general he's ok. I just wish he'd load more ammo for me, according to him I need the practice :P

Shooting manager? Never heard of such a beast.

J

Rob Leatham has won 5 world shoots, countless nationals titles and who knows how many area championships with no manager and hard work.

Sounds like a better record to me. :P

J

I think people are reading too much into this.  The manager Adam refers to is an employee of CZ-UB who is paid to manage the CZ-UB shooting team (which is somewhat large) but I believe his main job is public relations

I must not write sarcastic comments.

shred Posted Yesterday, 05:13 PM

Heck, a real 'manager' for the US contingent at WSXIV might have come in very handy, what with travel, permits, ammo and all, instead of the largely 'fend for yourself' attitude we're used to. James might have known to dress up, and Eric might have known in advance about the terrible Ecuadorian washcloth shortage.

I did wear the DARK blue jeans to the awards, sandals w/o socks might have been too much though :P

James

I would expect that if or when real money starts too flow into our segment of sport that managers, crew chiefs, or whatever you want to call them will become very common. If the money doesn't move into this sport than it will only be the very few at the top who have guidance or someone to handle the details so the athlete/shooter can focus on the job at hand.