Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Division dropping major/minor?

On 4/9/2019 at 1:17 PM, rowdyb said:

different scoring for major rewards your load chemistry more than it rewards your gun control ability.

but isnt that 1/3rd of the equation ?
Speed , POWER, accuracy..
If you and I shoot the same speed, and same accuracy, but my load chemistry shoots more power ,  I am supposed to win.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, obsessiveshooter said:

do comps on major PF open pistols negate the intent behind the major PF scoring reward. 

Open division is the Formula 1 in our game.  Major is major regardless of whatever go fast parts one has on their gun....Hence the name "OPEN."

Again, this argument is only made by people that are salty enough to care about what is allowed in other divisions, even though it doesn't affect them directly.  

Let’s be honest here. If we’re talking about people with fragile egos wanting to finish higher than Open shooters, they should really just strap on an Open gun and get it done that way.  That would make way more sense than arguing for changing a division that they don’t even shoot. 

Edited by d_striker

Open division is the Formula 1 in our game.  Major is major regardless of whatever go fast parts one has on their gun....Hence the name "OPEN."

Again, this argument is only made by people that are salty enough to care about what is allowed in other divisions, even though it doesn't affect them directly.  
Geez Dom, no one is salty here. It's just something to shoot the s#!t about. I could care less about pcc or open beating limited.
Sometimes outside-the-box ideas are fun to discuss; your mind may not be changed but you are forced to think critically about things. Or you could just dismiss everything with an ad hominem...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, obsessiveshooter said:

Geez Dom, no one is salty here. It's just something to shoot the s#!t about. I could care less about pcc or open beating limited.
Sometimes outside-the-box ideas are fun to discuss; your mind may not be changed but you are forced to think critically about things. Or you could just dismiss everything with an ad hominem...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I wasn’t referring to you specifically being salty. And it’s not an ad hominem attack when you think about the real reasons people would advocate changing divisions they don’t shoot.  To put it nicely, yes it boils down to being salty and ego. 

On 4/14/2019 at 4:20 PM, Joe4d said:

but isnt that 1/3rd of the equation ?
Speed , POWER, accuracy..
If you and I shoot the same speed, and same accuracy, but my load chemistry shoots more power ,  I am supposed to win.

And I'm saying there is no felt increase in power to the shooter or power required by the shooter in today's guns and loads versus shooting minor. I'm talking about what the shooter experiences and puts out, that definition of power. The "work" part of the power equation isn't greater in my experience to the point it needs the scoring differential it has. That's my argument/observation.

The POWER reward is a reward for power-on-target, as it was considered at the founding of the sport that peripheral hits with Major loads were more effective than peripheral hits with Minor loads.

It's not a reward for the difficulty of shooting.   If a dude wants to shoot a lightweight Officers ACP, or Glock 27, that's fine, but we don't give them more points because it's more difficult to shoot than a full-size 1911.

Jeff Cooper, 1974 "Practical Pistol Competition":

Cooper1974Power.png.3a6860f67b0d44134e8b0bc687998583.png

2 hours ago, shred said:

The POWER reward is a reward for power-on-target, as it was considered at the founding of the sport that peripheral hits with Major loads were more effective than peripheral hits with Minor loads.

It's not a reward for the difficulty of shooting.   If a dude wants to shoot a lightweight Officers ACP, or Glock 27, that's fine, but we don't give them more points because it's more difficult to shoot than a full-size 1911.

Jeff Cooper, 1974 "Practical Pistol Competition":

Cooper1974Power.png.3a6860f67b0d44134e8b0bc687998583.png

thread ender.

On 4/8/2019 at 9:03 PM, obsessiveshooter said:

......The gist of it was, a properly tuned well built 9 major pistol will have about the same recoil as a 9 minor open pistol.  So controlling the power isn't really something that needs a reward.............

I don't know who the guys are, but the basis of the argument is flawed.  A 170 pf load does not shoot the same as a 130 pf load.  In fact, myself and others stay as near as possible to the 165 floor because trial and error has shown even 168 vs 172 is noticeably better at 168.  With a little time before an IPSC match, I'm shooting 163-165 pf.

An open gun at the right sub-major load is awesome and so much better than major.  The improvement is not quite enough, however, to offset the major scoring once you're going full-bore.  So I think the net difference in scores would be less than people imagine.

1 hour ago, theWacoKid said:

I don't know who the guys are, but the basis of the argument is flawed.

I agree, then then again I've been shooting Open for 6 years so what do I know?

Who needs experience when you have hearsay and supposition 🙈🙉🙊

On 4/16/2019 at 11:16 AM, rowdyb said:

And I'm saying there is no felt increase in power to the shooter or power required by the shooter in today's guns and loads versus shooting minor.

What combo of ports, comp etc along with load are you running in your open gun to make major and minor feel the same?