Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5” or 6” Springfield 10mm?

lrdchaos

Looking at picking up a new range toy and I’m considering the trp/rmr combo from Springfield. This pistol would also be used when hunting hogs as well,  that’s why the 10mm interests me.  Would you recommend the 5” or 6”?

I'll go the opposite way.  You are using a dot, so the extra length doesn't help with sighting.  Six inch is heavier to carry and mores more slowly in transitions.  The little bit of extra velocity doesn't matter.  The only advantage of the 6" that I can think of is it is more muzzle heavy.  So the dot will return a tad more quickly for a double tap.

I got the 6", before they came out with the rmr version. Recoil wasn't bad with Sig ammunition or my full house hand loads.  It does have a 5# trigger pull.  Take down required a punch and mallet.  I like it enough that I was going to shoot a 1911 match with it.

Looking at picking up a new range toy and I’m considering the trp/rmr combo from Springfield. This pistol would also be used when hunting hogs as well,  that’s why the 10mm interests me.  Would you recommend the 5” or 6”?

If you’re using it for hunting, 6” all the way with some doubletap ammo. I wouldn’t sacrifice velocity if you’re not concerned about concealing it. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your new blaster!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longer barrel doesn't necessarily mean higher velocity.  I have a SV 5.4 that's slower than all my 5.0 guns, including a 5.0 SV.  Others here have similar experience.  There are just too many variables to say the 6.0 is going to run faster.  On the positive side, you have a longer sight radius if you plan to use the iron sights.  The negatives are larger size and weight, poor balance (more weight on the muzzle end), and slower transitions.

• 2 weeks later...