Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shockwave and Tac-14 now legal in Ohio. Should I bother?

lfine

Laws were just adjusted here in Ohio to clarify that these are now legal for purchase and use in Ohio. The question I have now, having no hands-on experience with either is, are they worth getting?  Any fun to use? Good for home protection? Or put the $ elsewhere?  Just looking for some opinions if you want to share. Thanks. 

I’ve shot similar Shockwave 870s with 18” barrels and survived, was able to hit a kitty litter box at 7 yards. (About as well as I can shoot my pistol from the hip.) Most targets beyond 10 yards are going to be safe from harm.

Get an 870 Express with the junior stock if you want a cheap short gun. 10x more accurate and controllable. 

Edited by Frankly

I picked up my Mossberg Shockwave the first day they became legal here in Texas.  I like just about anything SBR or SBS, just not willing to kick in $200 fo the Feds.  This seemed like an inexpensive way to satisfying my craving.

Its sort of like a boat.  The two best days of boat ownership is the day you buy it and the day you manage to sell it.

After a day at the range, turns out its not as much fun as I expected.  I'm sure its plenty accurate but you will need to develop a technique to use it.

As for self defense, it will be at the very bottom of my choice of firearms. If I want something defensive that will shoot 12 gauge shotshells, I'll stick with my Remington 870 with an 18" barrel.

I got mine because I have always liked shotguns. I picked up a shockwave and a Tac 14 wood just because they were interesting.  I didn't figure I would use them for anything other than fun. I have had a blast shooting them and after shooting them you can get more proficient with them enough to use them for something other than fun. I got an adaptor and put a brace on my Tac 14 and that really made it more useable, going to leave that on for a while. 

SG Short web.jpg

I personally wouldn't,  but if you like one go for it. They aren't real expensive and getting most of your  money back if you don't like it shouldn't be too hard

Unfortunately they’re not the type of thing I can find to rent on the range to see what they're like. Seems like a fun piece but for the money I think I’ll probably end up with something else. 

But very happy Ohio passed their new laws!

One cool thing about the Mossberg version is you can buy a $20 adapter piece and it will function perfectly with the Aquila mini shells. I don’t own one yet, but it’s certainly a toy more than a tool in my mind.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2019 at 9:10 PM, lfine said:

Unfortunately they’re not the type of thing I can find to rent on the range to see what they're like. Seems like a fun piece but for the money I think I’ll probably end up with something else. 

But very happy Ohio passed their new laws!

Luckily I was able to try one out first (a buddy bought one). It was fun to shoot, but after a box of shells I was good. For me, it just wasn't something I'd get a ton of use out of.

The shockwave.....IHMO with the controls is great with the birdshead grip, and again....IMHO, meant to be shot from the hip.

The TAC-14 controls (870) actually sucks balls with a birdshead grip......BUT....put a pistol brace on and the controls work much better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...