Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

thinking of getting SPS vista

darthdively

I have a sps pantera, 40 limite gun. The gun is just incredible. Barrel locks up like a vault, and the slide to frame fit is what you’d get from a custom gun. Gun is dead nuts accurate. Came with a crisp 2.5lb trigger. Every part is just masterfully dotted.  Everyone I talk to who has a vista or a pantera says the same thing. Theye great guns at an incredible value. 

When I bought my open gun I didn’t want another gun that looked exactly like my pantera ( the vista) so I bought a use sti. And have kicked myself ever since. The sps is superior to the sti. I have since sent my sti in to a custom gunsmith to totally rebuild it so now I’m happy wirh it. But if I would have just bought the vista I would have saved a ton of money.

my sps was my “getting my feet wet” with the 1911/2011 platform, coming over from glocks and I’m so glad I did. I’ll never go back for competition or high volume range toy. So I’d say buy the vista. I’m sure you’ll love it. 

11 hours ago, funflyr said:

I have a SPS Vista Short (9mm), I'm happy with it. It does use a slightly different holster than my STI 2011. 

On the SPS Vista Short, what is the minimum power factor needed to get the gun running? I assume the "short" is made to run on minor power factor loads, but all of the descriptions I see of the gun say "REQUIRES AMMUNITION WITH A POWER FACTOR OF 160 OR HIGHER"

1 hour ago, bulldog009 said:

I assume the "short" is made to run on minor power factor loads 

No, runs on Major PF loads, but it's shorter and easier to move around quickly   :) 

I've never shot a shorty, but lots of people who have feel it's much more

pleasant to shoot a "longy".  Those 5" and 5.4" barrels seem to smooth

things out at Major PF.

get yourself a STI or a custom... I see a lot faults in SPS pistols...

they use a long link for lock up, link will wear and the berrel seems to "torque" itself in the slide/frame

remove barrel and guide rod and than you can check slide-frame tollerance

there is most of the time something wrong in the trigger mechanism (most shooters don't know enough about the mechanism to recognise the problems)

al cheap MIM parts (had 1 with a 3.5lbs trigger with hammerfollow, bad hammer)

saw 1 that shot when you release the trigger, not whe you pull the trigger

there is no pin for the mainspringcap (safe money where you can...)

my experience with SPS...

I watched one have nothing but issues last week. Not usually one to rain on someone's idea, but you get what you pay for. You'll never go wrong with CK. Their warranty and customer service are great. As a matter of fact, just buy American and you should be in good hands. 

It may look the same on the outside, but what goes into it isn't. 

I bought one and have not had any issues other than I broke the ejector loading a mag on an open slide. I used an Atlas optic mount instead of the factory one. The gun is very tight and will run minor ammo with a 8lb recoil spring. I went ahead and installed an EGW HD extractor because I have had good service with them. I will be replacing the ignition group with EGW  parts sooner or later but the first 3k rounds have been fine.

10 hours ago, darthdively said:

i saw this, this morning.... looks nice059b194c69a2f19d1d4d0c1c5c6db79d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My only issue with this is it’s a para based gun. Personally I’d try and stick with the 2011 platform. That way when you have a set of mags and you decide to buy a new gun you can keep using them. Plus all the other commonality of aftermarket parts. 

The vista “short” is really a midsize, it’s not a shorty. 5 inch barrel vs 5.4. 

Someone mentioned crappy mim parts and to get an sti. Stis also use crappy mim parts. First thing most people do when they buy an sti is replace the mim internals. 

But mim done right can be of very good quality and last many tens of thousands of rounds. And having one of these sps’s, I can attest to the fact they are done right. We all like tool steel here, and i agree it’s better. But read some articles from bill Wilson on mim parts. People on here would have you believe an mim fire control group will only hold a trigger job for a few thousand rounds, and that is just so far from the truth. 

There’s a few people on here with vistas with decent round counts like 20k+ and they’re running strong. And the big selling point is they come ready to run out of the box. No trip back to the manufacturer, or to a custom gun smith for “tuning”. Hell people have made entire business out of tuning brand spanking new Stis. My pantera limited gun has ran flawlessly since I bought it, no break in period or anything. With sti over the last few years you got about a 50% chance of getting a running gun. And your gonna pay double for it. And I have an sti, and an sps. The sps is the better gun. 

have a vista short it will run on 140ish pf ammo. Broke a ejector . original mag sux .

Replaced scope mount . runs great have over 5k rounds at 170ish pf still tight.

Dont know what they are going for now but for $1700. its a great way to try open

16 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

My only issue with this is it’s a para based gun. Personally I’d try and stick with the 2011 platform. That way when you have a set of mags and you decide to buy a new gun you can keep using them. Plus all the other commonality of aftermarket parts. 

The vista “short” is really a midsize, it’s not a shorty. 5 inch barrel vs 5.4. 

Someone mentioned crappy mim parts and to get an sti. Stis also use crappy mim parts. First thing most people do when they buy an sti is replace the mim internals. 

But mim done right can be of very good quality and last many tens of thousands of rounds. And having one of these sps’s, I can attest to the fact they are done right. We all like tool steel here, and i agree it’s better. But read some articles from bill Wilson on mim parts. People on here would have you believe an mim fire control group will only hold a trigger job for a few thousand rounds, and that is just so far from the truth. 

There’s a few people on here with vistas with decent round counts like 20k+ and they’re running strong. And the big selling point is they come ready to run out of the box. No trip back to the manufacturer, or to a custom gun smith for “tuning”. Hell people have made entire business out of tuning brand spanking new Stis. My pantera limited gun has ran flawlessly since I bought it, no break in period or anything. With sti over the last few years you got about a 50% chance of getting a running gun. And your gonna pay double for it. And I have an sti, and an sps. The sps is the better gun. 

IDK if that pistol would do it, but my 16-40 Pro Custom, one other Para I had, and several of the RIA’s I’ve seen have run STI mags with no problems. 

• 8 months later...
56 minutes ago, hump said:

I installed a STI grip with no problem

Thanks. I picked up a used Brazos in 38 Super to try open Division and it's been great so far except for chasing the brass. Was considering converting it to 9 mm and since I would want a backup  thinking about getting one of these SPS Vistas to work with 9mm loads first. So if I'm understanding this right about $1,800 and then I can put an STI DVC grip on ,Magwell of choice ,replace the internals with EGW if I want and run....