Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G19/34 or G19/17---Anyone Running One?

Tophernj

Howdy all. 

I don't have overlarge hands and the G19 grip suits me just fine.  I recently shot my buddy's pistol to confirm.  And because I did, now I want a Glock.  I'm strongly considering "building" my own pistol.  I'd use a 19 frame and a 34 slide.  My thinking is that for casual, club level competition, it would be a really fun pistol to shoot.  A little extra speed for any knockdown (I'd want to run 147's) and a longer sight radius for a little better accuracy.  

Am I missing anything?  Would the 17 be a better fit for a club shooter?  

Thanks in advance for any help.

I don't think a 17/34 slide will fit on a 19 frame. Just get a 34, it's basically a long slide 17 and pretty much the best gun Glock makes. There are a lot of advantages having the 34 with the longer slide, one is less muzzle rize/kick with the extra weigh further out, another is the longer sight radius. 

No real need for a Gen 5 then, the Gen 4 will suit you well. 

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/76624/glock+g34+g4+10%2b1+9mm+531"

Duces den in Sewell does $35 transfers including nics and he's on buds gun shop. Just bought a 22/45 lite from buds/duces and it was way to easy. 

Edited by louu

But the Gen 5 has a more pronounced mag well, legal, and the cut out for the front of the magazine.  The 34 has a longer sight radius and higher velocity with the same load but the cut out of the slide is supposed to make it the same weight as the 17.  Now a 17L has a full slide with no cut out.  The Gen 4 & Gen 5 have the grip inserts, I don't use any of them on either Gen.  The 19 has a shorter grip but can use 17/34 mags.

Lone wolf did or does offer a long slide to fit a 19 frame. 

You end up in a odd situation for competition. Lim minor in USPSA. Don't know about IDPA.

Better just to go full-size if you aren't carrying it too.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I won't be buying factory.  I'll be putting this together as a project to have fun with and also use for matches... occaisonally.  But mostly for fun.  Carry...  not here in my state.  

@louu Nice to see another Jersey boy.  Thanks for chiming in.

You can use a 17/34 top on a G19 you can use the slide adapter from LoneWolf to cover the gap.  Brownells makes a slide that is a G19L and has the accompanying barrel for it.  Which also leads to another thing. For the build you will have to buy a specific barrel for the specific build. Buying a barrel for a Gen5 17 or 34 will work as they use the same locking block as a G19.  

51 minutes ago, dskinsler83 said:

You can use a 17/34 top on a G19 you can use the slide adapter from LoneWolf to cover the gap.  Brownells makes a slide that is a G19L and has the accompanying barrel for it.  Which also leads to another thing. For the build you will have to buy a specific barrel for the specific build. Buying a barrel for a Gen5 17 or 34 will work as they use the same locking block as a G19.  

Very cool info.  Thank you.  

I'm currently looking for a Gen3 G19 frame to have it sent to my FFL.  We'll see how it goes.  I'm not 100% on it.  But looking pretty seriously.

4 hours ago, 9x45 said:

You can't put a G17/G34 upper on a G19. Totally different lock up. Here's why. G17 left, G19 right.  Doesn't work, not even close.  

image37320.jpg?sid=c5b7f3e719d179329ff60

Yeah ya can.  Until recently all ya needed specifically made barrel known as a G19L or G19XL.  Now all ya gotta do is buy a Gen5 17 or Gen5 34 compatible barrel ;-).

On 3/17/2019 at 8:23 AM, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: I would just build a Glock 17 type pistol if you are going to put an optic on it. If not build a 34 with it's longer sight radius.

I agree with Eric. I have smallish hands and have a 17 on a 19 frame (professionally chopped) that I use for EDC. My "game gun" is a 17 and I much prefer the larger frame for balance, grip, and speed from the holster. As usual, YMMV.

1 hour ago, 9x45 said:

dsk, Gen 3 and earlier doesn't work. Don't know about Gen4/5 because I have no Glocks newer than 1996...

What doesnt work?  The barrel foot is diffferent on the 19 due to the locking block, so as I said you need a specificly made barrel from either lonewolf or brownells that is for the application needed.  A G19L barrel is for a G17 length slide and a G19XL barrel is for a G34 slide.  That was the whole reason Lonewolf started making the barrels in the first place my friend, to allow people to do this very thing WITHOUT having to hack the grip of a G17/34 off.  This will work Gens 2-4 for sure, of course the slide of a Gen4 will not fit a Gen3 frame (except the baby frames G26/27) but a Gen3 slide will fit a Gen4 frame.  Lonewolf also makes the gap spacers for these conversions AND to cover the gap when using a Gen3 slide on a Gen4 frame.  But they also now make Gen4 slides so meh.

The Gen5 pistols use a barrel foot like a G19 from my understanding but I am not 100% sure just 95% sure. 

Edited by dskinsler83

50 minutes ago, 9x45 said:

If you try to put a Gen 3, or earlier slide, on a G19 Gen 3, or earlier, it will lock up the gun. Aftermarket barrels have a different lockup

as he said, you can use the slide with the conversion barrel, guiderod and a slide adapter...according to Lonewolf

I don't know why you would want to do that, but he wants to do it, so it's his prerogative...