Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock vs. Canik vs. Walther

HCH

I’m currently shooting a Glock 17 Gen 4 in Carry Optics, with a little bit of trigger work, and a dovetail-mounted FF3. I am kicking around changing guns, as I am not sure the Glock trigger and I will ever get along. I’ve tried different springs, connectors, and even tried a Glock Triggers “Edge” and still haven’t found anything I really like. I did make A class with this combo. 

I am am thinking about changing platforms. I handled a Canik today, and I was very impressed with the factory trigger. For anyone that has used one: how long did/have you had it, how many rounds did you put through it, did you have any problems, and was there any warranty work that you had to do? I like the pistol, I like the price, and I like the factory features. I just don’t have any real experience with the longevity of the guns. 

I am am also looking at a Q5 Match. Not interested in the SF, as I am not dropping $2k in a CO gun. Same questions as the canik. 

@HCH I think among the factory guns you’ll find the Q5 to be the best gun. Holding a Canik it feels great and the trigger is nice. Two locals have  shown up with them.

...but there’s an obvious reason the Q5 is priced a few hundred higher. Disclaimer: I have six Walthers, so I’m obviously a fan. ;)

The trigger is nicer and the slide stop, mag catch, and grip are very “Camry vs Lexus” when it comes to Q5 vs Canik. (I have a tuned Q5 I’d let go for a good price since I have a dedicated optics gun, but I haven’t gotten around to deciding to sell it in the classifieds yet!)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

3 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@HCH I think among the factory guns you’ll find the Q5 to be the best gun. Holding a Canik it feels great and the trigger is nice. Two locals have  shown up with them.

...but there’s an obvious reason the Q5 is priced a few hundred higher. Disclaimer: I have six Walthers, so I’m obviously a fan. ;)

The trigger is nicer and the slide stop, mag catch, and grip are very “Camry vs Lexus” when it comes to Q5 vs Canik. (I have a tuned Q5 I’d let go for a good price since I have a dedicated optics gun, but I haven’t gotten around to deciding to sell it in the classifieds yet!)

I’ll give you $500 for it, or a straight trade for a g17😃

I’m sure you’re right, but I was hoping for: Canik is twice the gun for half the money 🤣🤣

I mean someone will tell you that. I jusy vehemently disagree with them. 

The canik is 80% of the gun for 60% of the money, which is still a steal. 

And sorry. I sold all my Glocks long ago and don’t need any more. I’m sure you’d trade a $400 gun for a $700 one all day long! 😂

I have a canik tp9 sfx have over 10 k on it only issue was a broken striker took 3 day for them to get me a new one. the only up grades I have done to it is installed a sprinco recoil system and a lighter striker spring runs great for the price can't go wrong

Edited by mro111lland

I have been shooting my canik tp9sfx in carry optics for awhile and love it. I have a glock17 with a zev trigger, Kkm barrel and custom slide and springs I intended to be my main gun but it went to the backup slot quickly after comparing the two. Canik has about 30k rounds through it and it has only gotten smoother. Installed a recoil system and flat face trigger ($75). It has been an awesome gun thus far. Plus apparently all the new walther sf have been shitting the bed lately so who’s laughing now. 

On 3/19/2019 at 10:37 PM, HCH said:

I have thought about one, but $280 worth of Glock trigger is hard to wrap my head around.  

It’s the best trigger you can buy. Give him a call you will see. Anybody who has bought triggers then went to Johnny afterward have said why did I waste my time and money on all the others. This includes me. 

Edited by nbdyspl

19 hours ago, nbdyspl said:

It’s the best trigger you can buy. Give him a call you will see. Anybody who has bought triggers then went to Johnny afterward have said why did I waste my time and money on all the others. This includes me. 

How light can he get triggers down to? I'm kinda curious just how good a striker fire trigger can be.

11 minutes ago, avastcosmicarena said:

How light can he get triggers down to? I'm kinda curious just how good a striker fire trigger can be.

What he normally does if you buy his customize trigger option he talks to you in person and answers all you questions. He also listen to what you are looking for. Go to YouTube as well watch some of his videos.   

On 3/19/2019 at 10:37 PM, HCH said:

I have thought about one, but $280 worth of Glock trigger is hard to wrap my head around.  

I went that route when I was shooting glocks. No matter what you spend they can never be very good. The Johnny  Glock trigger was a big upgrade to a stock gem 4 trigger. But if I ever go back to shooting glocks I’d do my own. With Various parts, and it will be 95% as good, at half the cost. But I can’t imagine I’ll ever go back to glocks for comp/range toys. You just can’t beat the 1911/2011 trigger. And It’s nice that with 2011s when you spend 150 on a trigger you get a 1lb crisp short perfect unbeatable trigger. 

3 hours ago, nbdyspl said:

What he normally does if you buy his customize trigger option he talks to you in person and answers all you questions. He also listen to what you are looking for. Go to YouTube as well watch some of his videos.   

He can get them to about 2.5lbs with a 4lb striker spring. But I was only able to get reliable ignition with federal primers. Going up to the 4.5lb you can light off harder primers, but the pull weight went up a bit. Back in those days anytime fed primers we’re in stock I’d buy 10k. Pain in the ass. 

IMHO if you really want the best trigger in a budget poly gun....  Instead of the three you mentioned, pick up an M&P and drop an apex trigger in it...  I've yet to find anything as short and light with a short reset that will offer reliable ignition that will run as fast and flat in leu of a 2011...   And I'm a Glock guy...

I ended up buying the TTI kit for my G17, and I have a overtravel stop ejector housing on the way. I shot a Q5 Match a week ago at a match and didn’t think it was a great improvement. 

Maybe $50 more in the Glock will make me happy. 

sounds like you're sticking with your glock, never a bad choice.  i ran the uspsa stage last year at the nra world shoot and we used those, and over a couple hundred shooters, only two malf's, a petite lady who was not holding the gun tight, and some guy with huge hands who was either crushing the grip or riding the slide, zero issues other than that.  so i ended up buying one for myself, pretty cheap entry into carry optics.  plus, with the vortex viper (i know, bottom battery, but we replaced some and zero never changed), the easiest CO gun i've shot yet in being able to pick up and stay on the dot, just nice and low vs other gun/optics options.  the stock trigger has the longest/worst takeup of pretty much any gun i've handled, but the freedomsmith triggers remove almost all of that takeup.  if you shoot the reset (i don't) they do have a super short reset and of course takeup isn't an issue.  even with the freedomsmith, i'm still pulling my shots a little, so more practice and perhaps some lighter springs etc will help a little.